brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 33 of 156
08 January 2013 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
@Stifa
Actually, I am quite happy with kanji.koohii. I've just been lazy. I was getting annoyed with the RTK3 kanji because I couldn't make them stick in my head, so I just gave up for a while. Again.

@mrwarper
I'm glad you thought my idea was reasonable :)

You can discuss anything you want here, as long as you do it politely. My ears (and eyes) are very tender and don't like bad words. But (almost) anything goes as far as topics are concerned.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 34 of 156
08 January 2013 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
You're welcome -- now all that's left to know is if you'd think my ideas about alimony are reasonable ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 08 January 2013 at 1:23pm

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4671 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 35 of 156
08 January 2013 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
Ah, I see. Personally, I was annoyed by the fact that I often pressed u instead of y
too many times. Furthermore, I prefer to review everything in Anki. I just review
"Japanese" in Anki 2 which means that it'll move on to sentences (japanese::sentences)
when it is done with the kanji (japanese::kanji).

That's about the only good thing about Anki 2. :p

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 36 of 156
08 January 2013 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
You're welcome -- now all that's left to know is if you'd think my ideas about alimony are reasonable ;)

Of course it's reasonable! I'm the one that suggested it, sort of.

Personally, I have no desire to find a new husband/long-term companion/whatever, but then again, I don't get any alimony anyway. Does alimony still exist even?

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5024 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 37 of 156
08 January 2013 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
Dunno, and I hope not to find out by experience ;)

BTW I was referring to my take on it -- except for a few cases I consider the concept abusive by principle. Maybe it made sense in another time and age.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 38 of 156
08 January 2013 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
I see no reason you can't help your ex-wife to find a new husband. That's what I meant. It seemed like a reasonable way to get rid of the problem of alimony.

I don't think alimony makes much sense these days when women usually have jobs and can support themselves. Before, it was fairly unusual for women to work outside the home and there weren't many jobs available to most of them. My mother was refused a job as a secretary sometime around 1950 because the employer asked if she had a boyfriend, and when she said she did, he said she couldn't have the job because she might get married and leave.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5024 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 39 of 156
08 January 2013 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
I see no reason you can't help your ex-wife to find a new husband. That's what I meant. It seemed like a reasonable way to get rid of the problem of alimony.
Sure, and we agree on that. It's just I'm a bit more extreme on the root:

Quote:
I don't think alimony makes much sense these days when women usually have jobs and can support themselves. Before, it was fairly unusual for women to work outside the home and there weren't many jobs available to most of them.

Unless people (mind you, not necessarily women, but...) actually leave their means of living once married, I can't see why they should be paid an alimony at all -- That tacitly implies they are bloodsuckers nobody wants around. Surely they didn't live off thin air before they married somebody, did they? Then why can't they go back to that? Even, or especially, if they did live off thin air, they surely didn't forget how to do something so useful, right?

Of course, allowances for children are a wholly different story.

Quote:
My mother [...] she couldn't have the job because she might get married and leave.

Yeah, why ask people what they actually plan to do if we can imagine reasons not to hire them in the first place? ;)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 40 of 156
09 January 2013 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
I tink I splained my tongue………

El niño está sosegado. ¿Quién lo desasosegará? El desasosegador que lo desasosiegue, buen desasosegador será.

El suelo está enladrillado. ¿Quién lo desenladrillará? El desenladrillador que lo desenladrillare un buen desenladrillador será.

Si don Curro ahorra ahora, ahora ahorra don Curro.

El volcán de parangaricutirimícuaro se quiere desparangaricutiriguarízar, y él qué lo desparangaricutiricuarízare será un buen desparangaricutirimízador.

Here are thome more if you want to give it a try:
tongue twisters
more tongue twisters

Here is a tip for learning tongue-twisters: Learn them backwards. When there is a difficult word, try saying the last few syllables. When you get good at that, add the syllable before those and practice some more. Then the syllable before that, and keep adding more syllables until you can say the whole thing easily.

This discussion contains 156 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version