Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 89 of 156
30 January 2013 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
Here’s something one of my lang-8 friends told me about when to use が instead of を with a verb. I found it very interesting and useful. Once again, these are things I know, but get wrong sometimes anyway, so it’s nice to have a list. I like to have nice little overviews like this to organize things in my mind. I’ve seen all of them various places in textbooks, but just individually and not grouped like this. This makes it so much clearer, I think.

・目的語を日本語で表すときは、「を」が基 本。

・でも、動詞によっては、「に」や「が」を 使うことがある。

・「が」を使う場合

(1)欲求(①欲しい、②したい、③要る)
 (2)知覚(④見える、⑤聞こえる)
 (3)理解(⑥分かる)
 (4)可能(⑦できる)

まず、(1)~(4)に出てくる①~⑦の動詞の場合 は「が」を使う、と覚えて、
新しい動詞が出てきた時に、(1)~(4)のどれに あてはまるか、と考えてみるのも
一つの方法かもしれませんね。

3 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 90 of 156
31 January 2013 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
JANUARY GOALS

SPANISH
1) Do 20 units/reviews of FSI Programmatic/Basic Goal met. I did a total of 21 units/reviews. I got up to unit 10 in Programmatic and 3 in Basic as well as reviewing most of them once.
2) Finish the first 3 chapters in both “Foundation Course in Spanish” and “Modern Spanish” Goal met. I did 3 chapters in each.

JAPANESE
1) Finish adding up to step 8 of the Core 5000 on iKnow. Goal met.
2) Review all the old kanji from RTK. I’m way behind on my reviews again. Goal met. I don’t have any due cards at ALL. I was expecting to have at least a few failed cards at the end, but there’s not even one. I think that’s only the 2nd time that’s happen to me. Now I can work on learning new ones.
3) Write 800 words for lang-8. It doesn’t sound like much, but believe me, it will be a challenge. Goal met. I was 109 words behind, but I threw something together at the last minute and made it with 73 words to spare. Whew!
4) Listen/watch 30 hours. Goal met and surpassed (slightly).
5) Read 1/2 or more of my book. Goal met with a few pages to spare.
6) Do 5 lessons in GLOSS. I did 3 lessons and then decided half-way that this wasn’t useful for me at this time. So I chose to remove this goal at my half-way evaluation.

In terms of time, I’ve done 117:22 for January.

Spanish is 27:44 and is all course work.

Japanese is at 89:38 and breaks down like this:
Kanji: 11:33 --- 13%
Listening: 30:44 ---34%
Reading: 10:26 --- 12%
Writing: 10:31 --- 12%
Vocab: 23:52 --- 27%
Grammar/textbook: 2:32 --- 3%

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 91 of 156
31 January 2013 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Goals for the Feb-Mar 6WC (Japanese)
1) Finish adding up to and including step 3 of the Core 6000 on iKnow.
2) Learn all remaining kanji in RTK3.
3) Write 1200+ words for lang-8.
4) Listen/watch 80+ hours.
5) Finish reading my current book plus read at least one more.

FEBRUARY GOALS
Because of the 6WC, I will be concentrating mostly on Japanese, but I will try to do a little in Spanish everyday.

SPANISH
1) Do 15 units/reviews of FSI Programmatic/Basic

JAPANESE
1) Finish adding up to step 1 of the Core 6000 on iKnow.
2) Add 300 new kanji from RTK and keep up reviews.
3) Write 800 words for lang-8.
4) Listen/watch 50 hours.
5) Finish my book and at least half of a new one.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 92 of 156
02 February 2013 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
AAAUUGH!!!!!!!

Sorry about that, but I HATE TAXES! Not the Norwegian ones. They're easy. It's the American ones that drive me crazy. The US is the only country in the world that taxes it's citizens forever after they leave the country. Even the dictators have given up that nonsense. Most countries make you file for a few years (maybe 4) after you leave in order to make sure you really have left and don't have income from their country. But Uncle Sam seems to think that the only reason anyone would ever want to leave the US would be to evade taxes. You'd have to be pretty dumb to move to Norway to evade taxes.

Here in Norway, I used to do taxes even for fairly large concerns (back when I still had a job), but I can't figure out those American taxes. The tax return here in Norway, at least for an ordinary person that doesn't own their own business, is very simple. It's only a couple of pages and anyone can figure it out. Actually, it comes already filled in, so you only have to check that it's right and maybe add a few things like travel expenses if you have any extras like that. I think the American ones are perhaps a bit worse, but maybe not so bad if you stay in the country. But Uncle Sam wants to punish those of us who would be so traitorous as to leave. My American tax forms usually take up about 30 pages! And the directions are about the size of a phonebook. And all the various posts go something like this, “Enter the sum of post 27 Form 1234A and post 84 Form 3456C, unless post 87 Form 3873 is larger than post 56 Form 8459, in which case you should enter the larger of post 63 Form 3498 and post 45 Form 8465. If this number is smaller than post 36 Form 3454F, enter the amount from post 82 Form 3978 times post 93 Form 8573 divided by the square-root of π.” So I have to pay someone to do it for me.

And then there is the bank account/mutual fond/stocks/etc. nonsense. In Norway, they just want to know how much you had on 31 Dec. No problem. Of course, Uncle Sam thinks that in addition to being tax evaders, we are all embezzlers, white-washing money to pay for our terrorist activities. So we have to report the maximum amount that was ever in each account during the course of the year. It’s not so difficult for a savings account where you rarely take money out, but for any account where you regularly move money in and out for paying bills and such, or for anything like stocks where the value changes a lot, it will drive you mad trying to figure out on which day the amount was at its maximum. Not only that, but if you move money from one account to another, you end up having to report it twice. I currently have a savings account in bank A. Because their interest rate has gone down, I’m thinking about closing the account and moving the money to bank B. Since I don’t have my regular day-to-day account in either of those banks, I first have to move the money from bank A to my regular account in bank C and then move it to bank B. Say I have 50 000 in bank A. That is the maximum amount there for the year. I move it to bank C, my regular bank, where I probably don’t have more than 10 000, so that 50 000 will probably make up a part of the maximum in that bank account. Then I move it to bank B, where it together with some interest makes up the maximum in that bank account. So that same 50 000 gets reported 3 times!!! If I move my money around enough, it will look like I’m a millionaire. I wish!

And if you followed all of that, congratulations, you’re probably some kind of genius.

Sorry about the rant. It’s this time of year that all Americans abroad start tearing their hair out and consider changing their citizenship. If you’re an American living abroad and need some help with your taxes, please let me know so I can refer you. Then I can get a discount. And I really need it :-)

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4671 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 93 of 156
02 February 2013 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
Don't American expats usually resign (if that's the right word) their American
citizenship?

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 94 of 156
02 February 2013 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
stifa wrote:
Don't American expats usually resign (if that's the right word) their American
citizenship?

A lot don't, but it's very tempting. I just haven't decided yet. It's a difficult decision to make.

Edit: By-the-way, the IRS (American tax department) publishes a list of everyone who gives up their citizenship, sort of to make it look like they are tax evaders.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 02 February 2013 at 1:30pm

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5780 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 95 of 156
02 February 2013 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Wow, I had no idea how tough it was to be an American!

Well done on nailing your January goals, especially considering you had quite a tough month.

I look forward to seeing how your Japanese progresses through the 6WC. I think the listening goal is a very good one - even if you only manage half the number of hours you are aiming at, I think you will feel progress.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 96 of 156
02 February 2013 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently beating Cristina by 1 minute in the 6WC. She's amazing. Even with a full-time job she's beating me over-all and my 1 minute lead probably won't last the night, but I'm too tired to study anymore so I'm going to bed. Maybe I can get up early and get a head start on her tomorrow.

This discussion contains 156 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version