Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4846 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 25 of 156
07 January 2013 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
2) Review all the old kanji from RTK. I’m way behind on my reviews again.

What's on the front and the back side of the cards? Is it kanji -> English word?

Edited by Takato on 07 January 2013 at 8:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 26 of 156
07 January 2013 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Tsopivo wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
¿Dónde está Sánchez?
¿Dónde está Sánchez?

In traditional English courses, "Johnny is in the kitchen" so may be your guy Sánchez is there too. Then again, according to those courses "my tailor is rich" - has anyone ever had to say this sentence in real life ??? - so they might not be 100% accurate ;).

Actually, Sánchez está en su oficina. But apparently this guy either doesn’t believe it or he’s hard of hearing because the recording goes something like this:
¿Dónde está Sánchez?
En su oficina.
¿Dónde está Sánchez?
En.su oficina.
¿Dónde está Sánchez?
¡En su oficina!
¿Dónde está Sánchez?
¡EN SU OFICINA!
¿Dónde está Sánchez?
¡EN SU OFICINA!
Well, not exactly like that. There’s no yelling, but it is repeated over and over.

This part of the course focuses mainly on pronunciation, so you only learn a few sentences per lesson, but you learn to pronounce them very well.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 07 January 2013 at 9:08pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 27 of 156
07 January 2013 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
2) Review all the old kanji from RTK. I’m way behind on my reviews again.

What's on the front and the back side of the cards? Is it kanji -> English word?

I just use the kanji koohii website rather than making my own cards. It gives the keyword on the front and you have to produce the kanji, which is how Heisig suggests to do it. I find it works pretty well, but since I've not been doing it for a while, I'm forgetting how to write them. I don't have much trouble recognizing them, but when I try to write by hand, I can't remember them.

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4846 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 28 of 156
07 January 2013 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
O.O The JLPT doesn't need writing but you still do it. Amazing! Have you ever considered writing full sentences by hand? (Like your Lang-8 entries.) Maybe if you did that, you wouldn't have to stop the reviews once in a while. What do you say?

Edited by Takato on 07 January 2013 at 9:30pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 29 of 156
07 January 2013 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
stifa wrote:
Funny thing about the ugle/ugly thing... I actually though ugly was English for ugle
when I was like 8... yeah, and crop/kropp, etc.

I had a few words I confused a bit when I was learning Norwegian. I could never remember the difference between gevir (antlers) and gevær (rifle). So, it seems like there were some rather heavily armed elk wandering around the forest in those days. It makes hunting much more sporting though :)

(And I know you didn't need the words translated, but I figured other people might want to have a laugh at my expense too.)

Another time, we were flipping through the channels on TV and happened to stop for a while on a movie from the 50's. It was an American movie and there were Norwegian subtitles, so I was reading them while listening to the English. At one point they said something about the woman, who was divorced, getting alimony. In the subtitle, it was translated as "underholdningsbidrag," but at that time, the only meaning of "underholdning" I knew was "entertainment." So I sat thinking about this "entertainment-money" that her ex-husband was paying her and I thought, Norwegian men must be very nice since they give money to their ex-wives so they can go to parties and such. Then I thought, or perhaps they are very clever because if they give their ex-wives money to go to parties, the ex-wives can then find new husbands. Then the ex-husband won't have to pay any underholdningsbidrag anymore.

I know it's pure nonsense, but it seemed almost reasonable at the time.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 30 of 156
07 January 2013 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
O.O The JLPT doesn't need writing but you still do it. Amazing! Have you ever considered writing full sentences by hand? (Like your Lang-8 entries.) Maybe if you did that, you wouldn't have to stop the reviews once in a while. What do you say?

Actually, I do write out my lang-8 entries by hand first for that very reason. Unfortunately, I hadn't written any of them for a long time either. But for now I think I need to do both anyway because my writing (composition) skills are so weak that I tend to use a lot of the same words each time and then I don't get much practice on the other kanji. Also, as far as kanji practice goes, I get to practice a lot more kanji in a half hour of reviews than I do in writing the one tiny paragraph I can produce in the same amount of time. Eventually though, I should be good enough at writing that I can write longer compositions and do it fairly easily. Then I won't need to actively review kanji.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4671 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 31 of 156
07 January 2013 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
I didn't know the English word for gevir. And the story made me lose it haha. :p

Also, you could just use the Koohii Importer plugin to move them over to anki. :)

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 32 of 156
08 January 2013 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
... perhaps they are very clever because if they give their ex-wives money to go to parties, the ex-wives can then find new husbands. Then the ex-husband won't have to pay any underholdningsbidrag anymore.

I know it's pure nonsense, but it seemed almost reasonable at the time.

I don't know if we're allowed to discuss this here, but it is reasonable. Sounds like the kind of thing I would do if I were forced to pay an alimony ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 08 January 2013 at 2:46am

This discussion contains 156 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version