kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4646 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 121 of 156
16 February 2013 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Gasp! BabyThylakoid lives! (bows in reverence)

Welcome to the forum.
2 persons have voted this message useful

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4251 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 122 of 156
16 February 2013 at 7:44am | IP Logged 
BabyThylakoid wrote:
JohannaNYC wrote:

Please keep at it with your target language, you're our only hope for someone
winning fair and square and not on a technicality. Yes, background sound is allowed,
but I think that's just following the letter of the law, not the spirit of it.
Unfortunately, BabyT is not the only one posting a ridiculous amount of listening time
everyday :(

So what are you saying? Listening a lot is cheating? Yes, I sometimes do something else
simultaneously like taking my dog out for a walk or doing the dishes. But I think it would be
wrong not to count this time at all while other people consider watching tv-shows and
doramas as studying.

No, I'm not saying that listening a lot is cheating. Active listening, which I happen to do best
when walking, is a great way to learn. Passive listening (just having it as background noise)
is allowed, although it does make me uncomfortable as it does very little and people could
technically log every single waking moment that way. I'm not inside your head, so I'm not
saying that this is what you're doing. But if you are, it's still within the rules.
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6419 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 123 of 156
16 February 2013 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
Wow! Nothing like a little controversy to bring the lurkers out of the woodwork. I never realized there were so many people reading my log. Maybe I should try some more and see if anyone else shows up. Here goes:

After mankind destroys itself in the near future, squid will take over as the superior creatures of earth and will rule the world in the same sense as mankind rules it now. Their rule will eventually be overthrown by a type of slime mold. It’s true. I saw it on the Discovery Channel.

@mrwarper You are correct. I shouldn’t believe what people tell me. (Unless it’s true like the above statement.) Apparently women do a lot more multi-tasking than men because of getting stuck with a great deal of housework, but nobody is really good at it. Which probably means that none of us should be studying in any way while doing other things.

@Johanna Thank you both for the encouragement and for the offer to help with Spanish.

The rules only state that you should judge how much of your attention is spent on the task and calculate your time accordingly. So if you listen for an hour while doing other something else and you feel that 75% of your attention is on what you’re listening to, then you should log 45 minutes. I don’t even bother to listen when I can’t be following completely, so that’s not a problem for me. The only time I listen when doing something, is when I’m doing something like walking a path that I’ve walked so often that I could almost do it blindfolded. Fortunately around here, I can pretty much walk right out into the middle of the street without getting run over. I don’t think I would attempt listening while walking if I lived in a large city.

@BabyThylakoid Welcome to the forum and please accept my apologies. Listening is perfectly acceptable and you could spend 100% of your time listening if that was what you felt would be most useful to your learning. Our only doubts were that you could actually listen with enough concentration for that long each day. But just because I can’t do it, doesn’t mean you can’t. It also doesn’t matter what you listen to as long as it is useful to your learning. I use mostly dramas and audiobooks because they are each very useful in different ways.

And now, I should get back to work. I’ve been doing the bloodhound thing a little today, but so far nothing has happened. However, I’ve only done it for a little over an hour so far. Maybe it’s like LR and works best when you do a lot at one time. Or maybe I need to be riding on the train, but it would quickly get expensive to ride the train back and forth all day. Also, it’s only in the middle of the day that it’s likely to be quiet enough since Cristina didn’t seem interested in my suggestion to post guards in the “quiet cars” who could shoot people with blow darts if they talked.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 124 of 156
16 February 2013 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
Calm down people! Don't take the challenge too seriously! From where I can see it, the main aims of the challenge are to study as much as possible (which naturally varies for everyone depending on life circumstances) and make as much progress as you can in those 6 weeks. It's not about the glory of beating everyone else. If it has motivated you to put in a bit more time than normal, and as a result you have made progress in your target language, then you're a winner as far as I've concerned, because you've benefited from the challenge.

So basically, I don't care if people log their listening too generously. Because their score on the board is meaningless compared to their progress in the language. And all that really matters to me is how much study I can do, how effective this is, and what progress I am making.

As Brun Ugle noted above, 8 hours a day doesn't seem to provide twice the benefit of 4 hours a day. So maybe you would be better off studying for 4 hours and spending the other 4 hours at the beach.

And before anyone throws around any more accusations of cheating (which I think is crazy anyway - I could start falsely logging 8 hours a day of LR and you guys would be none the wiser - we have to trust the other participants), the following explanation of what counts is on the how to page of the 6wc site:

Quote:
You can do any activity - studying textbooks, doing Anki, Listening-Reading, even watching movies in your target language. However, please consider whether you are focussing on the language. If you're doing something where the language is not your one and only focus (e. g. ironing while playing a podcast in the background, or watching a TV show where you mostly focus on the native-language subtitles and don't intently listen to the target-language audio), please only award yourself a fraction of the minutes, corresponding to the percentage of your attention that you gave to the target language. For 60 minutes of studying to count as 60 minutes in this scoring, you have to be 100% focussed on learning your target language.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4464 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 125 of 156
16 February 2013 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Which probably means that none of us should be studying in any way
while doing other things.

I'm not sure if you were being ironic here, but just in case you weren't ...

I'll agree that studying whilst doing something else often less effective than
concentrated studying, but it doesn't follow that you shouldn't do this. I spend maybe
90m each day listening t oJapanese audio whilst driving to work. This is almost
certainly less effective than 90m of intensive audio work, but the latter wouldn't get
me to work. So, unless that listening-while-driving is actually detrimental to my
studying, then I'd be foolish not to do it.

Whether I would count it at 100% for a 6WC is a different question though.

BabyThylakoid
Russian Federation
Joined 4139 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: Italian, Hindi

Message 126 of 156
17 February 2013 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
JohannaNYC wrote:

No, I'm not saying that listening a lot is cheating. Active listening, which I happen to do best
when walking, is a great way to learn. Passive listening (just having it as background noise)
is allowed, although it does make me uncomfortable as it does very little and people could
technically log every single waking moment that way. I'm not inside your head, so I'm not
saying that this is what you're doing. But if you are, it's still within the rules.

And yet you said that it won't be fair if someone who does a lot of listening wins, assuming that listening means background sound. Not that I care about winning that much, but it doesn't feel very good.

Brun Ugle wrote:

@BabyThylakoid Welcome to the forum and please accept my apologies. Listening is perfectly acceptable and you could spend 100% of your time listening if that was what you felt would be most useful to your learning. Our only doubts were that you could actually listen with enough concentration for that long each day. But just because I can’t do it, doesn’t mean you can’t. It also doesn’t matter what you listen to as long as it is useful to your learning. I use mostly dramas and audiobooks because they are each very useful in different ways.

Hey, no apologies needed. I do prefer listening to other language learning activities. I mostly listen to things I really like so it's not difficult to focus.
Good luck with your studies) You're doing great.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6419 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 127 of 156
17 February 2013 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
Calm down people! Don't take the challenge too seriously! From where I can see it, the main aims of the challenge are to study as much as possible (which naturally varies for everyone depending on life circumstances) and make as much progress as you can in those 6 weeks. It's not about the glory of beating everyone else. If it has motivated you to put in a bit more time than normal, and as a result you have made progress in your target language, then you're a winner as far as I've concerned, because you've benefited from the challenge.

Exactly. My problem is just that I’m obsessive (autism again). When I told my therapist about the Super Challenge she was rather skeptical. I never told her about this one, but now that I think about it, she probably wouldn’t like the idea.

I don’t think the Super Challenge is much of a problem because I never had any intention of “winning” and I don’t see it as a contest anyway since the goal is simply to complete a certain number of books, movies, etc. in a certain period of time, not necessarily to be first. The 6WC wouldn’t have been a problem either if I hadn’t seen some possibility of winning. If I were to do it next time, it probably wouldn’t be such big deal because I would do it in Spanish and I’m not going to let Spanish crowd out Japanese completely like Japanese has done to Spanish, which means I’d never come close to the top anyway. But, like I said before, while I like keeping track of everything I do down to the last second in Excel, Twitter is an annoyance. I really don’t understand how people can tweet every minute of their lives. It’s the same with Facebook. Who cares that you’re going to the store, or that you just walked the dog, or that you’re having tacos for dinner?

I do think it is good to do an intensive period now and then though, so all-in-all, the 6WC has been useful like that. I used to study quite intensely, but I’d gotten lazy, so this got me back on track. (Ironically, I have a tab open on my browser on how to stop procrastination. It’s been there for several months :)

dampingwire wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
Which probably means that none of us should be studying in any way
while doing other things.

I'm not sure if you were being ironic here, but just in case you weren't ...

I'll agree that studying whilst doing something else often less effective than
concentrated studying, but it doesn't follow that you shouldn't do this. I spend maybe
90m each day listening to Japanese audio whilst driving to work. This is almost
certainly less effective than 90m of intensive audio work, but the latter wouldn't get
me to work. So, unless that listening-while-driving is actually detrimental to my
studying, then I'd be foolish not to do it.

Whether I would count it at 100% for a 6WC is a different question though.

Yes. Irony. I should explain my jokes; people frequently don’t get them. But explaining takes the fun out of it…

For me, what I’m listening to is mostly beyond what I can understand easily, so I need to put maximum effort into it. I think even I could manage to get something out of something like JPod101 where there is a lot of English and the Japanese is all explained and broken down. I couldn’t do it while driving though. You should see me drive – eyes bugging out of my head, white knuckles, and nobody is allowed to talk.

Brun Ugle wrote:

After mankind destroys itself in the near future, squid will take over as the superior creatures of earth and will rule the world in the same sense as mankind rules it now. Their rule will eventually be overthrown by a type of slime mold. It’s true. I saw it on the Discovery Channel.

Nobody cares about the great squid takeover?! When it happens, don’t say I didn’t warn you. I really did see it on the Discovery Channel.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 17 February 2013 at 8:43am

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4646 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 128 of 156
17 February 2013 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
See, we in Japan just cook the squid and eat it. Problem solved.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 156 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version