Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 65 of 156
14 January 2013 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
..I disagree on this. I think it is important that we are taught it. An English speaker would pronounce the b in bien the same whether it was by itself in "Bien," or after another word like "Bastante bien." So it is important...

OK, I'm in a bit of a rush today so I'll skip the joking and I'll get to the point. I agree that it's important to be taught the things you can (or will) struggle with, but I'm not really convinced that an English speaker would pronounce "Bastante. Bien." and "Bastante bien" the same way (without the different /b/ and /ß/ in bien). I mean, isn't your mouth open right after you do the /e/? And you know there's not a pause after it (midding), so why would you completely close your mouth before going for the next b? It wouldn't be a pronunciation mistake exactly -- it would just sound like you made a pause...

Actually, if we didn't know not to do it, we would be likely to close our mouths to make the completely labial b. We Americans are pretty sloppy with our vowels, but less so with our consonants, although we also have some changes there. One of the things I read says that Spanish is a very vowel dependent language and English is very consonant dependent. So we tend to slur our vowels a lot and depend more heavily on the consonants to understand the meaning, while in Spanish, you generally keep the vowels fairly consistent and slur the consonants a bit. Perhaps if we spoke as quickly as Spanish speakers, we would slur our b's too.

Of course, not changing the sound probably wouldn't make us misunderstood, but it is always good to get as close to a native accent as possible. Most people have that goal anyway. I suppose a lot of us aren't likely to speak a foreign language so fast that it would matter, but practicing everything possible certainly doesn't hurt. And learning the proper way of doing it might also allow one to speak more quickly.

I wish they would speak a little teensy bit slower on the recordings though. It's great to have things at native speed, but maybe it would be better to build up to it. I don't know that it helps to try to say something at native speed if doing so means you make a complete hash out of whatever you're trying to say. I've heard Assimil starts slowly, but I've never tried their courses.

And I don't care what people say; Spanish people talk fast. I suppose there are some English speakers that speak so fast, but not where I come from. I knew a girl from Peru once and her English was very good, but she spoke it so incredibly fast that it was hard to follow. I don't remember her slurring any consonants, but her speech was so fast that I couldn't keep up very easily. I guess she talked faster then I could listen and process. Fortunately, most Spanish speakers I've met haven't spoken English well enough to reach those speeds.

It's kind of weird starting a new language. It's been so long since I did it that I'd forgotten how much boring work is involved. I really don't remember it being boring, but perhaps it was because I used different courses or perhaps it was because I didn't know what it felt like to know a foreign language well enough to use it.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 66 of 156
14 January 2013 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
I speak English faster than many English speakers as well, I guess it goes with the person. I forgot to ask, what was that bit about the four levels of stress in English?

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4463 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 67 of 156
14 January 2013 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
For an English speaker, an aspirated p and an unaspirated p are
essentially the same,

English p is usually aspirated ("spin") whereas in Italian it's not. I didn't think that
there was an audible difference, but a while ago I heard an English woman speaking in
Italian. The accent was generally good but something sounded a little "off" and
eventually I twigged that one of the problems was the "p" sound.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 68 of 156
15 January 2013 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
I speak English faster than many English speakers as well, I guess it goes with the person. I forgot to ask, what was that bit about the four levels of stress in English?

The example they gave was "elevator operator." At first I didn't believe there could be four levels of stress, but I tried listening to myself very carefully as I said it and they were right.

It divides into syllables like this: el-e-vat-or o-pe-rat-or

The stresses are:
´ Primary (strongest): el
^ Secondary: o
` Tertiary: vat, rat
̌ Weakest: e, or, e ,or

They marked them like this:

élĕvàtŏr ôpĕràtŏr

dampingwire wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
For an English speaker, an aspirated p and an unaspirated p are
essentially the same,

English p is usually aspirated ("spin") whereas in Italian it's not. I didn't think that
there was an audible difference, but a while ago I heard an English woman speaking in
Italian. The accent was generally good but something sounded a little "off" and
eventually I twigged that one of the problems was the "p" sound.

Exactly. In English the p that comes after an s like in spin is unaspirated, and it's the same with t like in still. But mostly they would be aspirated in other positions like at the beginning of a word or after a vowel. We generally don't even recognize the aspirated and unaspirated versions as being different sounds. So first we have to learn to hear that the p in spin is different from the p in pin. Then we have to learn to make the unaspirated p without having a s in front of it. One of the things we are told to do to learn to make the sound, is to imagine we are making the s sound, but not to make the sound out loud. So you think "spin," but let the s be silent and then you will say "pin," but without the aspiration. It actually helps.

Looking back, I see that we didn't learn much about pronunciation at all when I studied Spanish in high school. I think they mentioned the ll, but i can't remember anything about stress patterns or unaspirated consonants. We didn't do much speaking, but the teacher would ask someone a few questions now and then, but she never corrected our pronunciation no matter how bad it was. There was one kid who pronounces "ella" as if it were the English girls' name "Ella," and she never even corrected that. The rest of the class whispered to each other about it, but she didn't mention it.

So whenever I heard Spanish, it was completely unintelligible. If you learn a language just from books and have no pronunciation practice, it is natural to assume that the letters have the same sound as in your native tongue. So for me, real Spanish didn't even sound vaguely like what I thought it was supposed to sound like.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 69 of 156
15 January 2013 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
And now for a tiny Japanese update:

My last lang-8 entry was apparently much better. Five people corrected it and while they corrected a bunch of small things, apparently they didn't think it was so bad. I got a few comments:

"日本語、ほぼ完璧です!" (Your Japanese is almost perfect!) A slight exaggeration, I'm sure, to put it mildly. But it felt good to be told that, even if I don't believe it.

Another said, "You can write almost right sentences in Japanese. It is not for academic, but if you talk with Japanese people, almost Japanese will understand what you want to say."

So at least it wasn't quite the massacre it was the time before.

I have one friend who gives very detailed corrections. Apparently my use of the passive-causitive was rather old-fashioned, so I need to study up on that.

I like when people tell me why something is wrong or why another wording sounds better. A lot of people only correct things without commenting. I always try to explain things if I'm able to. It takes me quite a while to correct other people's entries, but I think it's nice to help people learn.

Lang-8 is fabulous! I feel like I've learned so much already, even though I've only written a few entries. If you haven't tried it, I really recommend that you do.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4645 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 70 of 156
15 January 2013 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
I like Lang-8 in theory, but I find that I can't do it every day. Perhaps once a week at the most.

It just takes me forever to write two or three paragraphs. I usually write it out by hand at first, then type it up on Lang-8 when I have computer time. All of that could take an hour total. I guess it gets easier with practice.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 71 of 156
15 January 2013 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
I like Lang-8 in theory, but I find that I can't do it every day. Perhaps once a week at the most.

It just takes me forever to write two or three paragraphs. I usually write it out by hand at first, then type it up on Lang-8 when I have computer time. All of that could take an hour total. I guess it gets easier with practice.

That's about how long it takes me too. I average about 100 words per hour I think. And then I go over the corrections pretty thoroughly, so it takes a long time, but it's worth it. And hopefully it will get faster eventually.

I don't think I could manage more than one or two a week either yet, but by the end of the year, I plan to be writing quickly and easily, or at least reasonably so. I've actually only written a total of 11 entries in a period of a year, but even that seems to be making a difference. Those I've done recently have helped especially, now that I've gotten the hang of going through corrections and studying up on things I got wrong. I definitely felt that my writing last time came easier than the two entries before that.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5780 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 72 of 156
15 January 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
I find it hard to dedicate the time for writing too. One thing I have tried to do, as a jump start when I'm really struggling to motivate myself to do anything active, is speed writing. I set a timer for 10 minutes and basically have to write as much as I can about anything in that time. No look ups, because there's no time! The results may or may not end up on Lang8 but the main thing is it gets me writing at times when I really feel like I can't be bothered!

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 156 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version