Diglot
United States
Joined 5037 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 81 of 199
04 June 2013 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
I finished the movies part of my Spanish 1/2 challenge this morning! I can certainly say that my listening
comprehension has dramatically improved. There is still a word or 2 in some sentences that I fail go understand,
but I do get most of it. Rather late in the game, I discovered there was a closed captions button. I thought this
would help me get the words that I was missing, but I was wrong. My own comprehension is much better than
the subtitles. They were way off, even with pretty simple things. I still have 9 chapters to go, which I will of
course complete.

I took a break from Spanish last night & watched Gosford Park, a British murder mystery. I had trouble with the
English accents and appreciated the subtitles. Made me not feel so bad that I don't get everything in Spanish!

On a final note, you know you're a language nerd when you recognize the Destinos actor in the telenovela before
you realize that the heroine is none other than Angelica Rivera, the current First Lady of Mexico!

Peliculas: 50/50 (100%!)
41. Angela Capitulos 50 & 51
42. Capitulos 52 & 53
43. Capitulos 54 & 55
44. Capitulos 56 & 57
45. Capitulos 58 & 59
46. Capitulos 60 & 61
47. Capitulos 62 & 63
48. Capitulos 64 & 65
49. Capitulos 66 & 67
50. Capitulos 68 & 69

Hoping to dedicate more time to my reading now. Feel energized having completed this portion of the challenge.
2/3 of reading to go.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 82 of 199
04 June 2013 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
wv girl wrote:
On a final note, you know you're a language nerd when you recognize the Destinos actor in the telenovela before you realize that the heroine is none other than Angelica Rivera, the current First Lady of Mexico!
haha good one!
what did you watch after Destinos?
1 person has voted this message useful

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5037 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 83 of 199
04 June 2013 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 

what did you watch after Destinos?[/QUOTE]

I'm watching Angela, a telenovela from 1998. I knew nothing about it or who was in it, just chose it because that's
my name.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5883 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 84 of 199
04 June 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
it's inspiring to read a "marcar un hito" like this one- (probably wrong but I believe "milestone"?) Congrats wv girl!

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4687 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 85 of 199
13 June 2013 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
It looks like the Super Challenge Twitter Bot is down again ... nothing seems to be
updating. Anyone know how to fix it?

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4807 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 86 of 199
24 June 2013 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
I don't want to transfer to the bot so late, so I'm staying purely on the forum, sorry.

I have recently finished the movies part of the English ASC and am working on the rest of my huge SC load.

Congrats to everyone on your awesome progress, I am checking on the bot and some of your logs and you are awesome!

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4687 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 87 of 199
25 June 2013 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
June Update - We're at the 70% mark! I'm impressed that some people are
finished already. I'm going to take it right down to the wire. More details in my log
... this is just a quick summary.

My evaluations of what how easy a book is are based on being in the B1/B2 range.

French Books

Au Bonheur des Dames, Émile Zola - His descriptions of Paris, and the new
economy, are fantastic. The plot in this was a bit weak. It's not a hard book, but
there was a lot of exotic terminology regarding 19th century French fashion, and that
slowed me down. Zola is very accessible for B1/B2 readers, though I'd start with a
different novel than this one.   

L'Homme à l'envers, Fred Vargas - Part of a detective series. This one had a
strong start, but I thought it dragged in the middle. Difficulty is perfect for a B1/B2
student; once I got used to her style I didn't need a dictionary much. This was my
first modern, popular French novel. I'd recommend Vargas, but folks tell me her other
novels are better.

Du côte de chez Swann, Marcel Proust - I finished the first 150 pages,
Combray I and Combray II. The vocabulary isn't hard, but it's easy to get
lost in Proust's long, flowing sentences. I needed to keep an English translation
handy to refer to. I didn't use it as a parallel text, but more to skim so that I'd get
the idea of a passage, and then I'd go back and re-read (and untangle) the French.

There were a lot of times where I didn't know what the author was up to, or even what
the point of the book was. But there were beautiful passages - lots of them, in fact -
and in the end Combray felt complete. I'd highly recommend at least reading
Combray for any one who likes classic literature. We'll see if I feel the same about
the next sections and books!

Proust does take time, though. I can't read him over lunch, or at the coffee shop, on
the plane, or anywhere with distractions. He requires that you immerse yourself, and
pay attention. It's perfect reading for a long rainy evening.

Bandes dessinées

I'm still enjoying Persèpolis and Le chat du rabbin. Both are very
accessible at the B1 level.

Spanish Movies

I finally finished Isabel. There were only 13 70-minute episodes, so it's a lot
more manageable than those never-ending Mexican telenovelas. And I loved it; I think
it's some of the better tv that I've seen. I hope that I won't have to wait too long
for the second season.

Current count:
French Super Challenge: 70% (68.4 books, 71.3 films)
Spanish Half Super Challenge: 28% (4.8 books, 23.5 films)

Edited by kanewai on 26 June 2013 at 3:43am

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4226 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 88 of 199
07 July 2013 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
I think i might end up regretting this since we're so far through the challenge, but i'm going to add a french half
challenge! I've been doing a LOT of reading recently and I know that part will be no problem. I just need to watch
more movies in french (or power through the next few seasons of 30 vies). I'm going to count all the books i've read
since may, although the majority of them were in the past two weeks. i hope that's ok.

besides that, i think i'm really behind. but hopefully now that it's summer i'll have lots of time to work on it.

This discussion contains 199 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version