Joined 4688 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 113 of 199
10 August 2013 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
The past 16 months have shown that it tends to take me 4-5 minutes a page
when I start off one of these challenges, and eventually I can get it down to 2-3 minutes
a page.
It's been the same pace for me.

I got the impression that a lot of people were caught unawares at how much time 100 books
would take.    
2 persons have voted this message useful

grunts67
Diglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5101 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 114 of 199
17 August 2013 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
geoffw wrote:
The past 16 months have shown that it tends to take me 4-5 minutes a page
when I start off one of these challenges, and eventually I can get it down to 2-3 minutes
a page.
It's been the same pace for me.

I got the impression that a lot of people were caught unawares at how much time 100 books
would take.    

I got the same impression. Also, there is not a lot of people at the moment who are still trying to finish they challenge. I guess a lot of people just quit.

I'm not sure if I will be able to finish. I still need to do a lot of work in the next 4 months... 50 books, 30 movies, 65 texts and the more difficult for me 70 conversations. If I can achieve 100 movies, 100 books, 50 texts and 50 conversations, I will be really happy as I have started late and did nothings for 3 months.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4808 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 115 of 199
17 August 2013 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
How so? I can still see a few active logs with the challenge. For example Garyb is doing more than ok and still quite a lot of others (sorry, have been less dilligent about logs of others' during the last few weeks).Perhaps someone should check the original list of participants (not only the twitter bot lit) and check the logs/bots? Perhaps I will, during the next dose of procrastination.

Well, we already dumbed it down to 100 x 100 pages. It is true that 100 books would take ages (especially for the crazy people like me who barely consider something under 400 pages a book). But still, it is a lot even though it is more realistic endeavour.

grunts67
Diglot
Joined 5101 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 

Message 116 of 199
17 August 2013 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
How so? I can still see a few active logs with the challenge. For example Garyb is doing more than ok and still quite a lot of others (sorry, have been less dilligent about logs of others' during the last few weeks).Perhaps someone should check the original list of participants (not only the twitter bot lit) and check the logs/bots? Perhaps I will, during the next dose of procrastination.

Well, we already dumbed it down to 100 x 100 pages. It is true that 100 books would take ages (especially for the crazy people like me who barely consider something under 400 pages a book). But still, it is a lot even though it is more realistic endeavour.

I meant considering the number of people who joined the challenge maybe 25% (random number) are still active. Also, I;m really looking forward to see how many persons will be able to achieve their goals.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4808 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 117 of 199
17 August 2013 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
25% would still be a success. How many of us usually don't finish 6wc? I usually don't (things tend to happen at wrong time). I would really love to see a list of those still in.

Perhaps we can guess a number? I dare guess 15 people will have finished at least one of their challenges. What do you think?

When I am at the update page: having finished movie part of English ASC, I am now progressing with the other three parts of my 2 ASCs:
ASC English books 59,4/200
ASC French movies 55/200
ASC French books 25,3/200

It doesn't look so, I know, but I believe I will manage to get this all done before the end of the year.

grunts67
Diglot
Joined 5101 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 

Message 118 of 199
17 August 2013 at 7:17am | IP Logged 
Considering the time that we have left, you will be really good to do that.

Once I eliminate the time to watch the movies you need, you will still need to read 10,42 pages per hour (250,12 pages per day) too achieve your goal. Those calculations are base on 24 hours availability per day for 135 days.

If you manege that, you are a machine (or you don't work) !!!

Even if you do half of it, your commitment will probably get you in a really high level of proficiency.

Good luck and by all means, prove me wrong !!!

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4688 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 119 of 199
17 August 2013 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
It's pretty easy to check on the people who are using twitter:

17 people have finished the film part of their own challenge
2 have finished the book part of their own challenge

If you look at it in terms of the original 100 / 100:

12 people have watched > 100 films
14 are within range of reaching 100 (between 70 and 99 films)
20 more have over 50 films, and will need to watch two films per week to reach 100.

4 have read > 100 books
2 are within range (74 and 77 books)
6 are behind (55 to 68 books) but could catch up if they read 200 pages / week.

Not everyone logs here (boo!), and there are some I question (one person logged 1000
pages the first week). And I know some people thought they'd do the films the first
half of the challenge, and the reading the second half - and learned too late that they
would have needed to started reading a lot from day one to make 100 books.

Edited by kanewai on 17 August 2013 at 10:24am

2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4332 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 120 of 199
17 August 2013 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

Not everyone logs here (boo!), and there are some I question (one person logged 1000
pages the first week). And I know some people thought they'd do the films the first
half of the challenge, and the reading the second half - and learned too late that they
would have needed to started reading a lot from day one to make 100 books.

I was one of those people. I started that challenge at A1+ and didn't have the skills to start reading at that point. So I only I only started doing the book part in November last year. I haven't been updating my challenge on the Board, but at the moment for the SuperChallenge I am at 200+ movies, and at about 6000 pages - so to finish I need to read about 28 pages/day, which seems quite doable now.

I have found the Super Challenge really useful, but didn't really like the 100 pages = 1 book part.

At the start of next year I want to run a one year 50 book challenge. So essentially one book per week. Book length doesn't count - if you want to make the challenge harder read 500 page books, easier 200 page books. For simplicity graphic novels, movie scripts, newspaper articles etc won't count toward the challenge.

If anyone wants to join me I'd suggest having a 25 book challenge (a book every two weeks) and a 12 book challenge (a book/month).

At the same time I would like to try a 300 movie challenge (so about 1 film/day) - for simplicity 2 episodes of a standard TV show will count as 1 movie. Again I would suggest shorter challenges of 150 films, and perhaps 50 films (approx 4 films/month).

This discussion contains 199 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version