Joined 5766 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 57 of 199
13 April 2013 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Great post! I think we need a separate thread for brainstorming the future SC. This thread was supposed to be purely for registration and updates :D

Serpent, I just tried to send you a PM about the question you sent on a ticket about whether a new thread could be created from the posts about a future Super Challenge, but there seems to be a bug in the mailbox/PM function when a mailbox is getting full (mine right now!), and it was deleted when I tried to send it.

I was going to say that, yes, it's possibly by splitting the thread, but I don't know how to do that and I don't want to accidently delete the whole thing by mistake, so I was going to say that you can suggest that yourself in this thread, but now I see you've already done that! A good idea!

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 58 of 199
13 April 2013 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
Maybe a different mod can do that? From the first post on the 6th page

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5194 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 59 of 199
13 April 2013 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
I think changing the reading part to something time-based defeats the purpose of the "super" part of the challenge.

It takes forever to get through your first book in a new language, but then it gets easier. The amount of time you spend on the last 100 pages will be much less than what you spent on the first 100 pages.

It's not about what's easy or fair - it's about making substantial progress in your target language. It's supposed to take a lot of dedication and effort.
4 persons have voted this message useful

cacue23
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4098 days ago

89 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: Shanghainese, Mandarin*, English
Studies: Cantonese

Message 60 of 199
14 April 2013 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
I wasn't aware that there is a challenge going on at the present. I'll enter right now but there are only 8 months left. May I do a half advanced (which practically equals the regular) challenge?

LANGUAGE: English

CHALLENGE: FULL (10 thousand pages of reading and 150 hours of films)

CURRENT LEVEL: B2 -> C1

COMMENTS: I'm in university and have to read a lot anyway, and my textbooks are good material. I'm entering now just so I could get a feel of it, so that when I get to other languages I'd be more familiar with what's going on. I'll document my progress in my one and only log for every language I come across. It'll look as though it's for French, but for now it's really for English.

My log

Edited by cacue23 on 15 April 2013 at 2:36am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4688 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 61 of 199
29 April 2013 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
April Update

I had such good luck with movies in March; this month was more challenging.

French

64.3 flics

Holy Motors (Leos Carax, 2012). A slightly surreal David Lynch type movie. A
man becomes different people throughout a day. It was intriguing, and the lead actor
was a pleasure to watch, but in the end the movie didn't really hold together for me.

*** Ascenseur pour l'échafaud (Louis Malle, 1958). This
was fantastic - a film noir set to a score by Miles Davis. I don't want to spoil it by
revealing too much of the plot - this is a must if you like the old classics.

Monsieur Lazhar (Philippe Falardeau, 2011). An Algerian immigrant takes a job as
a substitute teacher after the original teacher commits suicide. This could've been a
fantastic film, but 80% of it felt like filler. It was more like an outline of a great
film; it was nice and honest, and it had a good heart; I wish more care had been put
into the dialogue and plotting.

Jules et Jim (François Truffaut, 1962). Two best friends fall in love with the
same woman. All the reviews talk about how it's a joyous celebration of life.
Maybe this was fresh and exciting if you were young and you saw it in 1962. I thought
it was sad and kind of depressing.   

X Zazie dans le métro (Louis Malle, 1960). I only lasted fifteen minutes, and
was irritated by 13-year old Zazie the entire time. It's a comedy, but the entire joke
seemed to be that Zazie cusses like a sailor. The adults in the movie think she's
adorable. I thought she needed a hard slap, and I don't even believe in corporal
punishment.

59.6 books

Les misérables: tome 4 - L'idylle rue Plumet et l'épopée rue Saint-Denis
Four down, one more tome to go!

bd: Les compagnons du crépuscule Le Sortilège du bois des brumes
(François Bourgeon, 1984). I think this might have been ground breaking in the 80's,
but it's a bit flat, and doesn't hold up well against the more modern graphic novels. I
won't be following the series.

I'm currently reading Le chat du rabbin, Joann Sfar's bd about a Rabbi's cat in
1930's Algiers, and Au bonheur des dames, Émile Zola's epic about fashion,
capitalism, and romance. I'm enjoying both. Zola has a huge vocabulary, and
reading his books slows my pace down a lot.

Spanish

17.6 movies

*** Isabel (2011, Spain) (6 / 13 episodes) - A fantastic
series about Queen Isabel's rise to power. There are episodes where I'm on the edge of
my seat the entire time. The characters are complex, and the acting is top-notch. It's
some of the best tv I've seen in a long time (available in the US on Hulu and
DramaFever).

Un paso adelante (2002, Spain) - It's like Fame, set in Madrid. I only watched
one episode, and it was fun.

3 books. Still reading short stories; nothing special. My reading pace is super slow. I
think it will flow more once I start Assimil Perfectionnement Espagnol next month.

Edited by kanewai on 29 April 2013 at 11:41pm

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5194 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 62 of 199
30 April 2013 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Congratulations, BAnna (PandoraSieben) for being the first to complete a Full Super Challenge!

Surrealix, is there a way to put anyone with a Super (or Super Duper, etc) Challenge finished at the top of the list?

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4251 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 63 of 199
01 May 2013 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
My first update

Italian 57% done
50.6/50 films

21/50 books
- Twilight
- Harry Potter 1-4
- Fitness articles and short essays from "Read & Think Italian"

37.8/50 conversations

4.2/50 pieces of writing

Yay! I completed the movie portion of my challenge and what a journey it has been. Four
months ago I started watching Winx Club only getting the gist of what was going on. Now
I've finished that part of my challenge understanding everything in a Fellini film
except for some colloquial expressions. Although I'm not even halfway done with the
books yet, my progress in reading parallels that with the movies. I read Harry Potter 4
at the rate of less than 4 mins per page. The 6WC helped a lot, but I don't think I
would be reading so quickly and still have time to look up words in the
dictionary/phone if it wasn't for the Super Challenge. Thanks Christina for coming up
with the idea and Philip for creating the bot.

Croatian 31% done
40.8/50 films
0.7/50 books
10.5/50 conversations
10.9/50 pieces of writing

The book count is not correct. I'm about a third of the way through Twilight, but I'm
reading it as a parallel text I made, so I'm not sure of the page count. I'm hoping to
read the second half or last third of the book with just a dictionary. However, the
vocabulary is less problematic than the grammar, so I'm gonna have to study some more
before continuing with it.

Arabic 20% done
26.9/50 films
0/50 "books"
3.2/50 conversations

I changed my Super Challenge to a Major Challenge with conversations only. Even though
I'm not learning to read Arabic script I'm learning with songs written in the Latin
alphabet. 250 words = 1 page and I'm reading the lyrics over and over until I can
memorize the words as well as their meaning.

Edited by JohannaNYC on 04 May 2013 at 6:16pm

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4251 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 64 of 199
01 May 2013 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
I wanted to add that I've been doing the film part of my Croatian challenge mostly with
cartons and TV shows. But I highly recommend Sivi Kamion Crvene Boje and Gori
Vatra
. Like most BCS movies they are about the war (right before and 2 years after
respectively), but they're comedies. They make you think without dragging you down.

This discussion contains 199 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version