Switzerland
Joined 5208 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 25 of 199
06 February 2013 at 6:48am | IP Logged 
Hey !

I'll give a quick update from my challenge. I just updated my twitter account from the last months. I was sick, and just recover slowly... But I watched quite some films, usually I watch like... 2 films in a year ?

Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian

Films

Snijeg - less prefered film of all.

Nicija Zemlja (No Man's land)

U ime sina (in the name of the son)

10 minuta

Halimin put (the entire film seems to have disappeared from youtube)

Karaula

Sivi kamion crvene boje

Almost all films are about Bosnian war (except Karaula), a subject that interest me. Most of my friend from the Balkan come from Bosnia. I have Serbs, Croats, Muslim friends, I make no distinctions. I just watch these films to try to understand a bit more what happened.

Series

I watched 13 episode of the Sulejman turkish serie, which is in Turkish but dubbed in Serbocroatian.

Books

I read a children book about learning croatian, and some pages of a book of a friend and Harry Potter. That makes 25 pages in total.

Hungarian

I watched episodes of Seherézádé. That's all I did.

Italian

I read some pages in the cooperazione magazine I receive every week. Unfortunately, it seems that there is some problem, as I don't receive it anymore...

That's all, stay tuned !

Kisfröccs

1 person has voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4227 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 26 of 199
12 February 2013 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
I just registered on the twitter bot, even though the challenge is half way done.

Language: Italian

Challenge : half (50/50)

Level: A1, maybe low A2?

Comments: The books will be hard, since i own none and my library has none. but i think i'll be able to find some on
craigslist or at another city's library. And i just watched two movies this weekend, so it's a good start! 48 to go!

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5038 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 27 of 199
16 February 2013 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
I've been on a roll watching the telenovela, Angela. Comprehension improving, of course, but still not 100%. Even
though I thought I would read 10 pages a day, as EMK suggested, life gets in the way. I'm still reading, but not
regularly. On this 3 day weekend, perhaps I can finish it. I also have the motivation of reading the same book as my
daughter. I'm ahead of her, but she needs to finish it for school, so is probably more motivated. Also, she can
continue to read while I do dinner, laundry, etc. No fair!

Peliculas: 25/50 50%
21. Capitulos 11 & 12
22. Capitulos 13 & 14
23. Capitulos 15 & 16
24. Capitulos 17 & 18
25. Capitulos 19 & 20

I really feel that I can finish the movie part of the challenge, maybe even do 100, as I simply MUST finish the show!
Stopping at Capitulo 40 would be impossible at this point. As it's a Saturday morning, I'll read some now before the
day gets busy.

I'm quite excited to get to practice my Spanish, as I'm going to Costa Rica for Spring Break in a month. It's only a week
long trip, but this will be my first experience "south of the border." A good reward for hard work!

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5038 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 

Message 28 of 199
18 February 2013 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
What a difference a long week end with no illness makes! Finished La Ciudad de las Bestias this afternoon with a
cup of hot chocolate. There are still words on every page that I don't know, but it doesn't impede my understanding
of the story. I still look up some words on Bing translate, as it's so much faster than my dictionary, but I don't write
them down now. Overall, not a bad reading experience. Guess I'll tackle La Malinche again, see if my vocabulary
has improved enough to make it easier. Although I'd be tempted to try another Allende book, maybe HIja de la
Fortuna, if I could get it.    

Libros: 1545/5000 (30.9%)
6. La Ciudad de Las Bestias, por Isabel Allende (401 paginas)

Woo hoo! 30% books and 50% movies! Moving right along ...

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4688 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 29 of 199
19 February 2013 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
I'm on track to have finished 50% of the Challenge by the 50% mark!

Flics:

X. Coup de Torchon (Bertrand Tavernier, 1981). It's supposed to be a noir set in a colonial African town, but it was all so silly and one-dimensionsl that I couldn't finish.

47. Les Femmes du 6ème étage (Philippe le Guay, 2010). It's the 1950's, and a bunch of fun-loving Spanish maids teach an uptight bourgeouise man how to really enjoy life. I suffered, but I finished it.

*** 48. Gainsbourg (Vie héroïque) (Joann Sfarr, 2012). A slighlty surreal fable about the life, loves, and music of Serge Gainsbourg. It's the first movie by Joaann Sfar, the graphic novelist who wrote Le Chat du Rabbin, about a rabbi's cat in Morocco. Gainsbourg has the same kind of free wheeling energy that you get in a graphic novel. I loved it ... and they loved it in France (it won 3 César Awards) ... but the American critics hated it.   Silly Americans.

coming attractions: There's also an animated version of Le Chat du Rabbin that I hope Netflix releases soon; it looks great. And there's an Intégrale volume of the graphic novel available on Amazon that I've just put on my wish-list.

Bandes dessinées

Astérix: La serpe d'or. René Goscinny, 1962. That was fun. Astérix and Obélix head to Lutèce (Paris!) to buy a golden sickle for the village druid - and encounter lots of big-city corruption and intrigue. I could have probably read this in an afternoon, but instead I spread it over several weekends. Astérix is great reading for a lazy Sunday afternoon on the couch.

Novels

Still working on Harry Potter et la Coupe de Feu. I love it ... but it's taking forever. I think I need to take a Harry Potter break after this. l'Ordre du Phénix is 1000 pages!

Edited by kanewai on 19 February 2013 at 10:11pm

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5331 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 199
28 February 2013 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Halfway Report

I decided to make a big push this February so I could have some nice round numbers for the half way mark:

Books: 50%
Films: 100%
Graphs and lists

Since the start of the month, I've read over 1137 pages and actively listened to almost 47 hours of TV and podcasts. Or to put it another way, I did over 21% of my Super Challenge this month. This basically required devoting every free moment to French. Frankly, I still feel slightly dazed. :-)

Results

At this point, I think my reading is getting close to C1. If I pick up a children's chapter book with illustrations, I can read it very comfortably and fluently with only a handful of unknown words. Adult books usually require a modest effort, and some of them, such as Le Pont de la rivière Kwaï, have a certain richness of language and metaphor that makes them very slow going without an ebook reader and a pop-up dictionary. At this point, if I want easy graded readers, I can just buy books aimed at native 8- or 10-year-olds.

My listening comprehension still lags a bit. I'd say it's a comfortably solid B2. If I have a bunch of native material available, I can typically try one or two choices before hitting on something where 90%+ of the audio is clear. But I still need to give it my undivided attention. French films and TV series like Engrenages are still very much hit or miss—some are OK, and others are still very hard work. I have a lot of trouble with heavily-reduced speech and subtle plots where nothing is explained. Unfortunately, the French are really into films like that.

Going forward, I really need to work on listening comprehension. For me, even after living in a French-speaking household, the entire Super Challenge worth of films and TV isn't enough to get solid C1 or C2 listening. But it's enough to make a huge range of native materials accessible.

Recommendations

My biggest discovery of the last few months has been French documentaries. They tend to have very clear speech and lots of supporting images (especially the science documentaries). They're actually easier than radio news or audio books. My favorite is the Quebec version of the BBC's Planète terre, which has fewer science errors than the French version. If you like science, and your listening skills are about B1, I strongly encourage you to look for interesting documentaries.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5194 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 31 of 199
02 March 2013 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
The Super Challenge Update
the halfway point

Spanish 62%
100/100 films
019/100 books

I've finished all the movies (lots of TV shows, actually). I'm been pleasantly surprised at how much it's helped my listening comprehension. I've always been a book person and hadn't ever focused on that before.

Officially, I have read 19/100 books. It's really more like 23-24, since I am in the middle of two books, and I only count them when I am finished. I started writing down vocab a few months ago, and adding it to Anki and making that a priority. It's amazing how much I have learned. (Who knew how much vocabulary was in Harry Potter books!?) I've been looking for something like Pixel of Ink (which sends me an email every day with free ebooks on Amazon) for Spanish, but I haven't found anything. I have a tendency to pick long, complicated books, and it would be nice if I could find some surprise quick, easy reads. There has to be something out there. If anyone knows of anything like that, please share. :)

French 48%
85/100 films
03/100 books

I'm almost finished with the films, and not even close on the books. I've signed up for Le Tour du Monde en Quatre Vingts Jours from Daily Lit in both French and English. I also got my Paperwhite Kindle a week or two ago, along with a handy French dictionary, so I will be starting something French on that soon. I just can't decide what to read.

Italian 42%
33/50 films
01/50 books

Croatian 12%
12/100 films

Portuguese
1/100 films

So I am in good shape with Spanish. I need to start reading in French. Those are the two important ones.

With that little pesky thing called life getting in my way right now, I'm not sure about the others. In another month or two, if things settle down, we'll see. Spanish and French are the most important, though, and I'm still aiming to finish both of them.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 32 of 199
02 March 2013 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
sooo a new update... just some numbers. i've done:
100% of the Italian and Polish audio
70% Polish total
58% Italian total (I want to reach 60% asap!)
50% or a bit more of Danish, Romanian, Portuguese audio
32% Portuguese total
29% German total (can't wait for 30%)
16% Belarusian total (mostly movies)
7% Croatian total

With Italian I'm de facto doing what Cristina said: "if you watch 100 movies this year [2012], I'm sure you can do 100 books next year." done with the movies and focusing on the books now.

I'm finally less terrified of the reading part. Mostly because I see improvement and realize that progress is not linear. I expect to complete in advance all the challenges where I'm currently on track.

also, here's a gorgeous Belarusian chart :)

gotta love the smoothness! :) now it's a bit less smooth :P but this means more items, so yay! I was going to reach 15 movies, 7 books but only got close enough on the movies part (14). really need to find something enjoyable in it:)

Edited by Serpent on 02 March 2013 at 11:21pm

This discussion contains 199 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version