United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5194 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 105 of 199
09 August 2013 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Surrealix, how hard would it be to code something where you choose your own 25/50/75/100 for each movies/books/conversation/writing ?

Maybe if you could add each element separately:

#language1 add #25 #books
#language1 add #50 #movies

Something like that would "fit" more people - those who are not interested in reading and writing, for example.

I imagine, even if it's doable, that it would really "mess up" the rankings, but I don't think too many people care about that aspect of it.

If we do one year, instead of 20 months (or two years), I think it would be close to impossible to read 10,000 pages.

I've noticed with my Spanish that there were two "jumps" in my reading ability. The first was around 30 books, where it started to feel more natural. Then around 50-60 books, I actually started feeling like I wasn't reading in a foreign language most of time.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6708 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 106 of 199
09 August 2013 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
If we do one year, instead of 20 months (or two years), I think it would be close to impossible to read 10,000 pages.

Really? ~28 pages per day? Impossible? Even if I'd read as slowly as one page per minute, I would have done my daily reading in less than half an hour.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5194 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 107 of 199
09 August 2013 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Kerrie wrote:

Really? ~28 pages per day? Impossible? Even if I'd read as slowly as one page per minute, I would have done my daily reading in less than half an hour.

If you can read in a relatively new (to you) language at one page per minute, I salute you, sir!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5592 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 108 of 199
09 August 2013 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
What about the option of "Multilingual" challenge, for example, reading 100 books in 3, 4 (or indefinite number)
languages?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4227 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 109 of 199
09 August 2013 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
I like the idea of making smaller chunks for people to customize their own challenge. I started with just an Italian
50/50 challenge but then added the same in french and Spanish, even though i know i probably won't have time to
finish them all. I just wanted a way to keep track of it/have my reading "count". It would be great if i could choose a
small challenge for my "maintenance" languages and a bigger challenge for the ones that i really want to improve.

The multilingual challenge mentioned above looks interesting - do you mean that your 100 books could come from
any one of 3-4 different languages, or that you would read 100 books (or whatever) per language?

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4808 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 110 of 199
09 August 2013 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
The multilingual challenge would have one huge flaw for me. It wouldn't make me push my limits so much and progress in my worse languages as English and French would naturally invade the largest chunk of it.

Well, for the next round, we could as well have a maintain challenge like 12 books and 24 movies per year. Really, a maintenance of these skills but not something in way of the "real" SCs.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5194 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 111 of 199
09 August 2013 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
I think if we had a "build your own" challenge (option), you could set that up with goals for each language. :)

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4487 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 112 of 199
10 August 2013 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Kerrie wrote:
If we do one year, instead of 20 months (or two years), I
think it would be close to impossible to read 10,000 pages.

Really? ~28 pages per day? Impossible? Even if I'd read as slowly as one page per minute, I would have done my
daily reading in less than half an hour.

If you can read in a relatively new (to you) language at one page per minute, I salute you, sir!

It takes me more than a minute a page in my native English. The past 16 months have shown that it tends to take
me 4-5 minutes a page when I start off one of these challenges, and eventually I can get it down to 2-3 minutes a
page.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 199 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version