Finland
Joined 5293 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 145 of 199
20 August 2013 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Then on a happier note:

I’m still in, but just for the reading part of the Spanish AC. My original strategy was to finish the first 100 “books” by the end of my sabbatical leave in August 2012 and slow down the pace to “normal” when returning to work, and possibly also read 5000 pages in German.

I didn’t quite succeed, my vocabulary in German turned out to be so lacking that I realised I need more time for recovery after the huge reading effort in May – August before I could start all over in another language. What surprised me though was that reading in German wasn’t otherwise that hard, seems that all I need is more words.

After failing in German I also took a break from Spanish for a few months. I’m back now, enjoying the rewarding part of my Spanish reading challenge!

Edited by Marikki on 20 August 2013 at 4:19pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5293 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 

Message 146 of 199
20 August 2013 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
RMM wrote:
   100 books in 20 months, however, is a tremendously difficult and time consuming task in my opinion.

Personally I like the idea of doing a 50 BOOK challenge next year, but that's probably too extreme for most people.

I really liked Solfrid's original simple and beautiful idea of reading 100 books. I was also naive enought to think I could do that in 20 months. Now that I know better, I would definitely go for 50 books next year!
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5193 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 147 of 199
20 August 2013 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
I think it really depends on if we're looking at a 12 month challenge, or a 20/24 month challenge.

Personally, I don't feel like 50 books is going to get you past that point where reading becomes much easier in your "new" language. That's why I vote for the 20/24 month length. 100 books in a year is really too much, when someone is newer at a language.

@Marikki re: Kanewai's comment - I can't speak for him, but to me, I was starting my the Super Challenge for my FIRST foreign language, and the idea of 1000 pages in a week would have sounded really crazy to me at the beginning.

Of course, now I have put in 7500 pages, and I can see that, at a higher level, it would not be so hard!

And honestly, to me - it's not a contest with each other, it is a contest with yourself. How far can you push yourself? I don't pay that much attention to what other people are doing, except that I will often look for someone with the same language as me and see what they read or watched. Just for ideas, especially for movies. :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5293 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 

Message 148 of 199
20 August 2013 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
Tamise wrote:

The only change I would really want to what we have now is that you should be able to do 50 books/50 films for languages at B2 or above - that would allow some amount of challenge for maintenance languages. If it's felt that keeping a higher amount for better languages is good, then I'd ask that it be for C1+ languages.

I'd really want this too!

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5293 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 

Message 149 of 199
20 August 2013 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
@Kerrie: I have noticed your amazing progress! I was barely B1 in May 2012 but I chose books I'd read many times before in other languages. That helped a lot.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4331 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 150 of 199
20 August 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
Marikki wrote:

I really liked Solfrid's original simple and beautiful idea of reading 100 books. I was also naive enought to think I could do that in 20 months. Now that I know better, I would definitely go for 50 books next year!

Me too!

Doing just under 1000 pages in eight days seems quite possible to me now. When I am reading books in which I know the vocabulary (e.g., Harry Potter) I am averaging about 100+ pages per day, easily. Now that I am starting with more adult literature (Murakami) I am slowing down a bit.

Perhaps one Super Challenge that fits all won't really work anyway.

I'd be all for starting a 50 books - 1 year challenge (with 25 and 12 book - easier steps challenges). I guess people count these towards a Super Challenge as well if they felt the desire to be in more than one challenge.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4331 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 151 of 199
20 August 2013 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
Marikki wrote:
@Kerrie: I have noticed your amazing progress! I was barely B1 in May 2012 but I chose books I'd read many times before in other languages. That helped a lot.

I was A1 in July 2012 and now in B2 for reading/listening and B1 spoken/written.

Massive Input really works.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4807 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 152 of 199
20 August 2013 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
50 books (or 5000 using the current rules) does get you past the point where reading gets much easier in my opinion. However, I think it is still too low for the reading to have such a huge impact on your other skills.

The original idea of 100 books (like 100 tomes, no matter whether 150 pages or 800) is still somewhere deep in my brain. It is a nice looooooooooong term goal. And I find it nice to log all that I read or watch.

This discussion contains 199 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version