Diglot
Canada
Joined 4226 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 153 of 199
21 August 2013 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
How are we going to make a decision on this? Should someone make a poll?
1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4331 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 154 of 199
21 August 2013 at 7:35am | IP Logged 
Emily96 wrote:
How are we going to make a decision on this? Should someone make a poll?

If the new Super Challenge is starting in May 2014, as many seem to want, it might be premature to make any decisions now.

I would also like to hear from other's doing the Challenge and what they think worked and didn't.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4687 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 155 of 199
21 August 2013 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
I think a poll would be the best option, but I also agree that we can wait until after
this round is over when we can see what everyone's experiences were.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4807 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 156 of 199
21 August 2013 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
I find it great that most of us seems to prefer (or at least not mind) that we'll start in May and have another 20 months challenge. For all the rest, there is still time. :-)

rewire
Groupie
United States
learninglane.tumblr.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4345 days ago

82 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 157 of 199
23 August 2013 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
Personally, everyone just doing the same general thing ("read/watch/talk/write as much as you possibly can!") was
what was really motivating for me, and I didn't really care if some people were doing way more than me or less. I
don't see how people having different technical goalposts (25/50/100/200) means there's no group anymore.

I guess part of it for me, too, is that a lot of people seem to think if your goal was 'only' 50 or less over 20 months,
you wouldn't really be challenging yourself or improving much, but judging from the numbers people threw
out on how fast they were reading earlier in the thread... I would say I probably challenged myself just as much
with my unofficial 25-book goal as some people did with the 100 book goal. When I started, I was reading at
somewhere close to 240 min per page in Japanese, just because I was that slow at hiragana/katakana, and I've
only recently hit about 4-5 min per page. It was ludicrous for me to think of reading 100 books at the beginning
of the challenge, and even 50 seemed overly daunting due to the amount of time it was taking me to get through
anything. 25 seemed like if I worked hard, I might make it, but I'd definitely have to put in that effort and I still
might not make it. And at this point I have nearly 10 books read, so 25 is still going to be a hard-to-hit goal for
me with my time constraints, so I don't think I underestimated my challenge, and would have appreciated if that
had been an official option.

I'm with RMM that I don't see why people are so bothered about having more flexibility. Though I'm not sure I like
the idea of requiring 100 books regardless, given I'm not even doing other languages right now, and I'm struggling
to meet my goal. I'd rather have more people join in with smaller challenges (that they may even decide to add
onto as the challenge progresses, if they're anything like me), than have a tiny pool of participants because a lot of
others feel like they can't even try because the goalpost is way too high. Just because it's not challenging for one
person doesn't mean it might not be for someone else, and wasn't the most important thing to be competitive with
yourself? From the first post in this thread:

Quote:
But the most important thing about this particular challenge, is that you do this for yourself, and any
material you cover which you would not have covered had you not participated in this challenge – means success.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4331 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 158 of 199
23 August 2013 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
rewire wrote:

I'm with RMM that I don't see why people are so bothered about having more flexibility.

I wonder if can't just have more than one challenge that suits different people.

I would like a challenge that focused exclusively on input - and perhaps solely reading books - and lasted on year - 1 Jan 2014 to 31 Dec 2014.

I don't see why people can't also do a Super Challenge with the same rules as last time or even more flexible rules that before.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5193 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 159 of 199
23 August 2013 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
rewire wrote:
When I started, I was reading at
somewhere close to 240 min per page in Japanese, just because I was that slow at hiragana/katakana, and I've
only recently hit about 4-5 min per page.

WOW. That is awesome! Talk about leaps and bounds. Congratulations. :D

rewire wrote:
I'm with RMM that I don't see why people are so bothered about having more flexibility.   .........

From the first post in this thread:

Quote:
But the most important thing about this particular challenge, is that you do this for yourself, and any
material you cover which you would not have covered had you not participated in this challenge – means success.

I'm in agreement here, too. I think it's great that we have a lot of people working similar goals. And I like that we're all in the same "place" so to speak.

As far as the "advanced" maintenance idea goes, I think it would be nice to do a 50/50 or 100/100 for a maintenance language, just sign up as the advanced (if it could be programmed to include those options).

As far as waiting until May to start again, I would prefer to have the option of starting earlier and making it 24 months. That way, if you want to take a break for a few months, you can. And if you don't want to, you don't have to.

We haven't heard anything from Surrealix or Cristina about their opinions.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4687 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 160 of 199
26 August 2013 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
I looked over my notes to see where I've made the big breakthroughs. The numbers are
approximate, but I think they might help in planning for the next challenge:

0 - 10 books: I can read easy novelists (Jules Verne) on my kindle, but it's
slow going and I use the dictionary a lot. I am completely reliant on parallel texts
for literature.

10: I try my first hard cover books, but have English-language back-ups. I
still have to check the English version often - I'll read a page in French, check the
English, and go back and re-read it in French. But I feel like a little bird learning
to fly, and can occasionally read whole chapters in French without having to pause.

30: I can read Harry Potter at a decent speed, and I make the final break away
from parallel texts. I still have a couple downloaded that I use as a back-up.

50: I notice a huge improvement. I can read some hard-cover books and
bandes dessinées without being completely reliant on a dictionary, but I still
need a kindle (and the pop-up dictionary) for the more challenging authors. For
the first time I feel like I'm reading rather than struggling to read.   

70: I notice another huge improvement. More and more I can read for pleasure -
it's actually relaxing now to spend a Sunday afternoon on the couch reading French. I
still like having English language back-ups for harder books, mostly to check my
comprehension.

(currently at 77)

100: ??? I'm hoping there are more breakthroughs to come!

Just based on my experiences, I'd really encourage people to aim for the full 100, even
if it means having a 24-month period. But I see rewire's point - people reading in
Japanese (or Arabic, or Chinese, or Sanskrit, etc.) would definitely have different
goalposts.

Edited by kanewai on 26 August 2013 at 10:52pm

This discussion contains 199 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version