Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
199 messages over 25 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 24 25 Next >>
JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4251 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 49 of 199
07 April 2013 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
I hope there's another Super Challenge starting right after or maybe in May again. The
main thing I'd like to see for the next one is more flexibility to the type of items we
can use for the challenge. For example, I wanted to do 100 films and 100 conversations
for Arabic since reading and writing are not priorities for me in this language, but
the only way I could add conversations would be to add books first, which is not gonna
happen. Or what if someone wanted to do a reading AND writing challenge with no films?
And there's no option to add conversations or writing to the Adv. challenge, what's up
with that? Once you get to the intermediate and up level is when the most interesting
output can happen and it also keeps your active skills sharp so you don't rest on your
laurels.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the way it's set up, even if it doesn't take the same
amount of time to complete the items. I wouldn't want it to be just hourly based as we
already get that from the 6WC and it's more or less the same people participating in
both challenges.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 50 of 199
07 April 2013 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
Advanced challenge with writing/conversation = advanced mega challenge.

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4251 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 51 of 199
08 April 2013 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Serpent, my eyes must've skipped over that option when I was looking for it.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4332 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 52 of 199
08 April 2013 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

They are not meant to be equal. They are meant to push you along in your language learning process, and each has a different purpose.

Sure I agree.

But I don't believe the actual number 100 was chosen for maximum pedagogic effect. It's just a round number. It turns out for me at least, that the number of movies is way too low, and probably the number of books is too high (at least from someone starting in A1).

My personal problem is that I finished the movie challenge in November 2012, but I doubt I'll make the book challenge by December 2013. Personally I'd prefer to be doing something like a 250 movie challenge, with a 50/100 book challenge.

My suggestion would be to decouple the reading and watching side of things so people could more fine tune their personal challenges, so if you were advanced you could set yourself a harder challenge.

So perhaps we could have 25, 50, 100, 200 challenges for both categories. Then I could truthfully say I am trying to complete the 250 movie, 50 book challenge.

----
As a minor quibble, It's not a 100 book challenge, it's a 100 pages repeated 100 times challenge. I quite like the simplicity of the 100 book challenge, but it's simply too hard most people starting from A2-B1 to achieve in a year and a half (and I know it's a challenge, but it's not a challenge if it's essentially impossible to do).

Edited by patrickwilken on 08 April 2013 at 6:29pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 53 of 199
08 April 2013 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
Great post! I think we need a separate thread for brainstorming the future SC. This thread was supposed to be purely for registration and updates :D

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4332 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 54 of 199
09 April 2013 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Great post! I think we need a separate thread for brainstorming the future SC. This thread was supposed to be purely for registration and updates :D

Sounds like a good idea!

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5950 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 55 of 199
12 April 2013 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
I've been concentrating on the book and writing challenge, and somehow neglected to log the film challenge properly. I've watched a lot of television series in French, but I never logged the time or the series. The discrepancy between the time spent watching films and reading is quite large. Here's a breakdown of my half challange so far.

Since 01/04/2012

Films (6/50) - 13 hours
Reading (7/50) - 210 hours - 1253 pages
Writing (7/50) - 340 hours (This is the time spent completing all the written exercies in the books above.)

Until recently, all my reading material has been course books written entirely in French. This means my average reading speed is about 10 minutes per page, but that includes learning the necessary vocabulary.

I thought I'd show these figures to give an idea of the differences between 50 films and 50 books. I think a time based challenge for both would be better.

Edited by DaraghM on 12 April 2013 at 3:13pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 56 of 199
13 April 2013 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
Great point! I have an awesome "Italian for doctors" book with exercises (and I'm not a doctor), but I've been putting it off because it's easier to just read...

(since April 2012, though? the challenge started in May)

This discussion contains 199 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version