United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5193 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 41 of 199
06 April 2013 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 

Does anyone know if there will be another Super Challenge in 2014-15? I'm doing half challenges to get my feet wet in a few different languages, but it would be cool to do a full Super Challenge for those languages starting next year.

Surrealix, would it be complicated to start a new challenge next year?
1 person has voted this message useful

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5041 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 42 of 199
06 April 2013 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
I think we should definitely have one.

100 is a nice number, but I was wondering if it made sense to have the challenge run over the calender year with a smaller about - 50 maybe, with 100 for advanced. If we did keep to 100 and 20 months, then it might be nice to start in May again to be able to finish with the end of the year.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5193 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 43 of 199
06 April 2013 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
Tamise wrote:
I think we should definitely have one.

100 is a nice number, but I was wondering if it made sense to have the challenge run over the calender year with a smaller about - 50 maybe, with 100 for advanced. If we did keep to 100 and 20 months, then it might be nice to start in May again to be able to finish with the end of the year.

Or just make it a 24 month thing, from January 2014 to December 2015. It seems like 20 months is going to be hard to do for most of us as it is, so maybe a little more time (next time around) would be a good thing. :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 44 of 199
06 April 2013 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
I think Cristina said there would not be a challenge immediately afterwards? I would definitely want to rest, hehe.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4687 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 45 of 199
07 April 2013 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
I"m a fan of nice numbers! 100 in 20 months is a definite challenge - but doable
with enough commitment.   Otherwise, 50 in 12 months sounds good to me.

I do feel like there's a divide between writing / conversation and books / movies, and
might suggest splitting these up for any future one. We can log books and movies, we can
talk about them, we can make recommendations - there are definite things that we
can count.   Even for people who don't log here enough, I can still peak at their lists
and see who's reading what.

The other two seem more ambiguous to me. They're good for a challenge, for sure, but
maybe separate ones.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4331 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 46 of 199
07 April 2013 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
It would be cool if there was another challenge.

My only criticism of the last challenge is that the film side of things seemed way too easy compared to the writing challenge. A book or a 100 pages is just so much more time consuming than one film. I finished the 100 film challenge last year, but I don't think I am going to finish the 100 book challenge by the end of this year, unless my reading speed increases dramatically.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 47 of 199
07 April 2013 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Agreed. I've had more eye infections during the challenge than I'd had for my whole life. Actually I hadn't had ANY prior to the challenge :/
We could maybe make it a time-based challenge like the 6WC. If you spend 10 hours a week reading, that's an accomplishment - whether you read 2000 pages or 200.

could be, for example, 200 hours of movies + 200 hours of reading in a year. of course then it would make more sense to count/display the percentage.

Edited by Serpent on 07 April 2013 at 3:17pm

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5193 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 48 of 199
07 April 2013 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
My only criticism of the last challenge is that the film side of things seemed way too easy compared to the writing challenge. A book or a 100 pages is just so much more time consuming than one film. I finished the 100 film challenge last year, but I don't think I am going to finish the 100 book challenge by the end of this year, unless my reading speed increases dramatically.

They are not meant to be equal. They are meant to push you along in your language learning process, and each has a different purpose.

I can tell you that after a point (with the reading), it will become much easier. For me, after I'd read about 10 books in Spanish, struggling through most of it, now I enjoy it. I'm not looking up new words most of the time. My reading speed is still a lot slower than my native English, but it is getting easier and faster to read as the books fly by.

Serpent wrote:
We could maybe make it a time-based challenge like the 6WC. If you spend 10 hours a week reading, that's an accomplishment - whether you read 2000 pages or 200.

could be, for example, 200 hours of movies + 200 hours of reading in a year. of course then it would make more sense to count/display the percentage.

That would kind of take the SUPER out of Super Challenge. You could also choose to do less than eight challenges. :D

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 199 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version