387 messages over 49 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 ... 48 49 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 113 of 387
17 December 2014 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
TimmyTurner93 wrote:
How are we going to come up with team names for
both the East Asian and Romance team? I'm guessing it would be something that resonates
with all languages involved or just be left literal.

For the East Asian team, we could simply choose a certain Chinese character (Hanzi,
Hanja, Kanji) with an auspicious meaning. The last East Asian team was Team 鶴, which
means crane. The last Romance Team, however, was called Team Romulans, so you see there
are no limits to our creativity.

And the only reason I recognise that character is because it's my last name in Chinese :)
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 114 of 387
17 December 2014 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
I suggest the formation of a Jap team, because I'm infatuated by that
lang; put me down for the Jap team, accordingly.

I think that, at the moment, it's the East Asian Languages team rather than specifically
Japanese, but you don't need to study anything other than your chosen language (at least
that's what I'm going to be doing!)

I'd also be careful to write "Japanese" and not shorten it, as that can be seen to be
mildly offensive in some contexts.

4 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 115 of 387
17 December 2014 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Josquin wrote:
TimmyTurner93 wrote:
How are we going to come up
with team names for
both the East Asian and Romance team? I'm guessing it would be something that resonates
with all languages involved or just be left literal.

For the East Asian team, we could simply choose a certain Chinese character (Hanzi,
Hanja, Kanji) with an auspicious meaning. The last East Asian team was Team 鶴, which
means crane. The last Romance Team, however, was called Team Romulans, so you see there
are no limits to our creativity.

And the only reason I recognise that character is because it's my last name in Chinese
:)

In the end the TAC 2014 Japanese team (tabidachi - 旅立ち) chose to include the romaji
version in the title too, because of various issues with non-Latin characters (and
general difficulty for non-speakers to even try to pronounce the team name).

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4425 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 116 of 387
17 December 2014 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Hey guys

Last year I was on a few teams, but due to personal/medical/educational problems throughout the year I had to take a large step back and get everything on track.

I hope to be able to participate this year with a fresh slate and a few new languages. Good luck to everyone this year.

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4837 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 117 of 387
17 December 2014 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
Takato wrote:
I suggest the formation of a Jap team, because I'm infatuated by that
lang; put me down for the Jap team, accordingly.

I think that, at the moment, it's the East Asian Languages team rather than specifically Japanese[...]

I'd also be careful to write "Japanese" and not shorten it, as that can be seen to be
mildly offensive in some contexts.

You're a little in the wrong there; no one said that a Japanese team may only emerge from the East Asian Team — it's quite the opposite.

Josquin wrote:
if no single teams can be formed, I will ask the potential members for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean if they'd like to join the East Asian Team.

Serpent wrote:
However, if enough people want to be on the language-specific teams, they'll also exist. Time will tell.

Josquin wrote:
but generally we're trying not to split up teams this year.

While I do feel the tendency to discourage establishment of pure teams, it is allowed by law to at least give it the chance which it deserves — not everyone has an interest in multiple similar languages, after all. Pure teams of smaller languages are not at all forbidden, too.

Edited by Takato on 17 December 2014 at 8:11pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 118 of 387
17 December 2014 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Well, I think time has told us by now. Pretty much all the experienced TAC'ers have opted for the East Asian team. The most notable exceptions are kujichagulia and cathrynm, who won't do a Japanese TAC at" all it seems.
Feel free to list it in "other languages, though. But most likely your options are a tandem, an individual TAC or the advanced study group. Or the East Asian team, obviously.
2 persons have voted this message useful

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4424 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 119 of 387
17 December 2014 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
agantik wrote:
I'm sorry but I fail to find the edit button on the wikia page, so please
Josquin, could you add me to the Scandinavian team with Norwegian (current level : rusty A2) and to the
German team as well ( level : rusty B2 dating back to a decade ago, whatever that makes now). Thanks in
advance!

No problem! I gotcha. The edit button is on top of the page, next to the headline.

Vielen Dank :) !

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4837 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 120 of 387
17 December 2014 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Well, I think time has told us by now. [...]
But most likely your options are a tandem, an individual TAC or the advanced study group.

Four days flew by faster than one would expect.

What does an advanced study group or a tandem entail?

Edited by Takato on 17 December 2014 at 8:50pm

This discussion contains 387 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version