Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5101 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 73 of 350
01 May 2015 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:

As an IT person I have to say the use of spreadsheets is my biggest bugbear. Especially when people use spreadsheets for DATA. Data goes into databases, spreadsheets are for calculations of numbers, and in fact databases can normally do those calculations better. It is just people tend to think in terms of grid layouts.

If IT would let me access our database, I swear I would use it.

My bugbear is how people use MS Excel as if it were MS Word.

rdearman wrote:
I really like smallwhites spreadsheet it is very simple to implement and...

That's nice to hear. It used to be HTML + Javascript.
1 person has voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5101 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 

Message 74 of 350
01 May 2015 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I think the main strength of your method ... great comprehension, but also a big active vocabulary and accurate grammar. I don't care about gaining these fast unless I'm going to L2 country soon.

Do you really not care? Less time spent on vocabulary means more time for reading, for movies, for family, for friends, for sleeping, for sex...

OK. For football?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 75 of 350
01 May 2015 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
Exactly, so I generally don't spend much time on vocab. I just watch football, read net/twitter and eventually books, listen to music etc. I definitely spend much less time on Anki than you do ;D

edit: I mean I care only about gaining comprehension asap, but not active vocab or accurate grammar. And I specifically meant that with input only you'd have the same if not better comprehension in Spanish after a year, but your productive skills wouldn't be where they, according to you, already are.

Edited by Serpent on 01 May 2015 at 4:58am

basica
Australia
Joined 3329 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 76 of 350
01 May 2015 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
I have done an excel spreadsheet which is loosely based on smallwhites method. I tried to put it on google drive but it kept messing up the conditional formating. So if you want to download it and have a go it is here: Vocabulary.xlsx

My Italian tutor is always giving me crossword puzzle books. It is a great way to mine words for vocabulary, and I can just use the hint sentence in the puzzle for the book. So I've arranged the spreadsheet this way, so I have the answer, the hint, and the number of letters. You can rearrange as you please.

I even included a pie chart, because all spreadsheets need a pie chart.

:)

Thanks for the spreadsheet. This is actually much simpler than the method I was using which was basically a python script that I used in the terminal - plus it didn't have a pie chart! So I might use this instead.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5029 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 77 of 350
01 May 2015 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:

Sounds like I should teach ICT. I use Excel for everything! Empty grids for Chinese calligraphy, grids with pale grey Japanese words for writing over with pen, conjugation drills for French, blank music scores for writing music...

O M G !!!!!! What a brilliant idea! I'm studying Mandarin and I spend a lot of time writing the characters on a grid paper. But it would be far more effective to do this by tracing over the characters which are "pre-printed".

How do you figure out the stroke order though? And what fonts; are there handwriting fonts for Chinese?

This is such a bloody good idea!

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5101 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 

Message 78 of 350
02 May 2015 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
O M G !!!!!!

L O L !!!!!!

rdearman wrote:
How do you figure out the stroke order though?

Only teachers care about stroke order. Real people write in all sorts of stroke order. The only rules we remember from school are:
* stroke directions (up to down, left to write) (no one writes hyphens from right to left)
* to start a character top-left-ish and to end it bottom-right-ish. This is often open to interpretation, and real people improvise.

That's for Chinese. Japanese stroke order I did look at it a bit, didn't think I'd be able to remember it, didn't want to mess up my vague memory of Chinese stroke order, so I don't worry about it. I have good and neat Chinese handwriting so that's good enough.

rdearman wrote:
And what fonts; are there handwriting fonts for Chinese?

There are handwriting fonts, I've seen them on posters and CD covers, but I wasn't able to get hold of them. So I just use MS Gothic or something similar, because it's neat and quite life-like. Something like Trebuchet or Microsoft Sans Serif for English; like Arial but fatter and smoother.

I actually print pale red words instead of pale grey, because my HP printer uses 3-colour-in-1 ink boxes, and there's always red ink left over. All my notes are in pink, too, LOL.

Oh, and do do both: tracing over pre-printed words, and writing them out yourself. They're 2 different learning techniques in Chinese calligraphy. The former is called 摹, the latter 临. Tracing (摹) works better and is actually easier, so there's no reason to torture yourself 临ing in the beginning.

Edited by smallwhite on 02 May 2015 at 12:24am

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4083 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 79 of 350
02 May 2015 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
I must say that the method looks very organised, but the Excel thing is probably what is
the real challenge. It took me over a month to make a simple two-plot-line graph several
years ago for an assignment in university, and still do not know how to make entries for
a distillation column. I still cannot do one-column entries in Excel, so I am impressed
by what I see here.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5029 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 80 of 350
02 May 2015 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
rdearman wrote:
O M G !!!!!!

L O L !!!!!!

rdearman wrote:
How do you figure out the stroke order though?

Only teachers care about stroke order. Real people write in all sorts of stroke order. The only rules we remember from school are:
* stroke directions (up to down, left to write) (no one writes hyphens from right to left)
* to start a character top-left-ish and to end it bottom-right-ish. This is often open to interpretation, and real people improvise.

That's for Chinese. Japanese stroke order I did look at it a bit, didn't think I'd be able to remember it, didn't want to mess up my vague memory of Chinese stroke order, so I don't worry about it. I have good and neat Chinese handwriting so that's good enough.

rdearman wrote:
And what fonts; are there handwriting fonts for Chinese?

There are handwriting fonts, I've seen them on posters and CD covers, but I wasn't able to get hold of them. So I just use MS Gothic or something similar, because it's neat and quite life-like. Something like Trebuchet or Microsoft Sans Serif for English; like Arial but fatter and smoother.

I actually print pale red words instead of pale grey, because my HP printer uses 3-colour-in-1 ink boxes, and there's always red ink left over. All my notes are in pink, too, LOL.

Oh, and do do both: tracing over pre-printed words, and writing them out yourself. They're 2 different learning techniques in Chinese calligraphy. The former is called 摹, the latter 临. Tracing (摹) works better and is actually easier, so there's no reason to torture yourself 临ing in the beginning.

That is really good advice. I made myself a couple of sheets today, and it occurred to me I should leave the last couple of grids in the row blank so I could write it freestyle. So it did occur to me to do both 摹 and 临 although I didn't know the names. ;-)

I have a black and white laser, so grey is good for me. I like writing on paper, it just seems to stick in the head a little more than ANKI. Thank you very much for two really useful ideas! I'll probably do the spreadsheet thing for a little while with the spreadsheets I created to import Chinese characters into ANKI, it will help me with my pinyin also, since I have to use that to get the character.

Anyway, thanks for some great tips on efficiency. If you have any more let us all know, lord knows I need all the help I can get!

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version