radiant-flux.net
Joined 4327 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 177 of 350
18 May 2015 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
Ezy Ryder wrote:
Sometimes context is enough. But
specifically at the beginning, you'll need dictionary look ups, parallel texts*, etc. That's
slower than just having memorized these words upfront.

I disagree. I had a lot of success reading using a Kindle with a pop-up dictionary. My reading speed was hardly effected, and I am sure this was much quicker than generating and running SRS cards. I know because I did both. ;)

The newer touch screen Kindles might be a slower, but the older versions with a cursor (you can still buy them on Ebay) are a joy to read with.

At a certain point it is really nice to just read with a paperbook and not worry about looking up every word you don't know and just immerse yourself in the literature. Even if this is less effective for vocabulary acquisition. ;)

Edited by patrickwilken on 18 May 2015 at 10:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4703 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 178 of 350
18 May 2015 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
One thing that has always bugged me when reading papers on vocabulary acquisition: why are people always comparing SRS/flashcards etc. with reading, but never (at least I'm not aware of it) compare the results with a third group, which does a combination of both (using the same time frame per day)?

Actually there was a fascinating study someone linked here 3-4 years ago (I might have posted the link myself) in which they compared four methods of gaining vocabulary, but I can't remember all four methods. One was singing along with songs, another was reading comics. The interesting upshot was that all four methods produced almost identical gains in the same amount of time.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6703 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 179 of 350
19 May 2015 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Indeed you did, Jeffers:
Online book on vocabulary size (2012 05 January)

At the end of the day, I suppose any method will enable you to reach your goal. Do you remember how long the experiment lasted? You say "30 words per hour" (in the post) - was that already during the first hour (regardless of method), or after some hours getting used to the experiment?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4703 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 180 of 350
19 May 2015 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Indeed you did, Jeffers:
Online book on vocabulary size (2012 05 January)

At the end of the day, I suppose any method will enable you to reach your goal. Do you remember how long the experiment lasted? You say "30 words per hour" (in the post) - was that already during the first hour (regardless of method), or after some hours getting used to the experiment?

Thanks for finding that, it's too bad the original link is dead. The experiment was carried out over some time (I seem to remember it being something in the neighbourhood of 6-8 weeks), and each participant did their activity for the same amount of time each week. Testing was done at the beginning and at the end of the experiment, so rates of learning may have varied over the course of the experiment.

Edited by Jeffers on 19 May 2015 at 1:27am

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5030 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 181 of 350
19 May 2015 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
If everyone could please go back and read my previous posts, you will see at no point have I told anyone not to read. I have not said to "read as little as possible". I have not told anyone not to study grammar, I have never said memorization of lists is the only thing required to learn a language. In fact I have specifically pointed out on a number of occasions that you shouldn't rely on memorisation of vocabulary as the sole task for learning. I have said that the quicker you complete your vocabulary reviews the more time you can dedicate to grammar or other language study.

What I have said is, If you want to learn a large number of words in your target language in the shortest possible time it is more efficient to memorise a list of words using the production card method than to read a book.

I have not said you shouldn't read whatever you want, comic books literature, recipes, or Le Monde. I haven't said don't study grammar, or hire a tutor, or go to classes, or listen to podcasts, or stop doing all the other stuff it takes to learn a language. I said it is more EFFICIENT to review a large number of words from a LIST than from a BOOK. I have not told you where to get the words, I have not said you have to use frequency lists, although statistically it would be a good idea. I haven't said you shouldn’t read. I'm telling you if you want to quickly increase the amount of vocabulary available to you, then there are other methods more efficient than reading.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5102 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 182 of 350
19 May 2015 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
My first aim was to get to a point where I could comfortably get lots of advanced input...

smallwhite wrote:
Your aim above is exactly the same as mine so you're really the only person whom I can compare the efficiency of what I did against.

patrickwilken wrote:

I sorry I don't have a great recollection where I was at at 200 days, but somewhere in B1-land I guess.

According to my notes, which are all guesstimates, I was B1+ at 1-year. After 2-years I estimated my level as B2-spoken/B2-reading-C1-listening. Now I am at B2-spoken/C1-reading/listening.

Thank you, Patrick. Nice to know I was doing well.

patrickwilken wrote:
rdearman wrote:

I just want to reiterate I have no objection to reading for vocabulary, I have no axe to grind about how many words are or are not required for a second language. My sole point was to say reading makes for an inefficient method for learning vocabulary, and the more vocabulary you know, the better off you are.

I am not sure I totally buy this sort of argument.

Say I am reading a novel with 98% understanding, which implies a vocabulary in the 8000 word range. If you read a 250 page novel in a week, that implies (with 5 unknown words per page) that I am being presented with 1250 unknown words per week or 178 unknown words per day!

I would be very happy to learn say only 10% of these unknown words, which comes out at 18 per day or about 6500 per year!

You're guesstimating the % one can absorb, which you say is 10% and I can say it's much less and we won't get anywhere. A more accurate estimation would probably be your actual experience - reaching B2 reading in 2 years. With all that massive input you did (were you already in Berlin?), you reached 8000 words in 2 years. (Just assume B2=8000 words, or read it as X and do the algebra if you like). Your massive input included a movie a day, and real-life conversations if you were already in Berlin, so maybe you only learned 2k a year through reading?

Why the difference? I think the 10% absorbtion rate was an overestimation, and maybe the 1250 unknown words were actually lemmas and thus inflated.

And most importantly, are we comparing reading 36 pages a day (100 minutes?) with 15 minutes a day of SRS??

Sometimes I even wonder if we are using the same definition of "efficiency". I am aware that many people take it to mean "effectiveness". "Efficiency" to me means (units of results)/(units of time) or "results per minute invested". So actual time spent is an important factor.

Edited by smallwhite on 19 May 2015 at 6:50am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 183 of 350
19 May 2015 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
You didn't tell people not to read. And smallwhite didn't either. But I think it's important to remember the reasons behind her method/system, one of which is the desire to minimize reading.

One of the most misleading phrases on this thread is probably "it doesn't take time away from reading, it lets me read sooner!"

Edited by Serpent on 19 May 2015 at 4:27am

3 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5102 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 184 of 350
19 May 2015 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
You didn't tell people not to read. And smallwhite didn't either. But I think it's important to remember the reasons behind her method/system, one of which is the desire to minimize reading

- should one want to - and thus maximize, say, listening, speaking, time available for further languages and for going to football matches.

You don't even know how much I read. But however much, you can read twice as much if you like. There's nothing in "my method" to stop that. You can. The only difference is you'll theoretically end up with 16k words in 4 months :D

Serpent wrote:
One of the most misleading phrases on this thread is probably
"it doesn't take time away from reading, it lets me read sooner!"

You're like a moving target. There's a new the most important question and a new one thing that worries you most and now a most misleading phrase in every one of your posts. Every time I thought I've addressed the most important X, I get a new one.

I like that quote of mine up there. I wish I had written it to rhyme.

@@ #=# @@ #=@@ #=# @@ #=@@
@@ #=# @@ #=@@ #=# @@ #=@@

I feel mission completed!

Iversen supports early bulk learning.
Jeffers considers it efficient to take a book and study the list of words before reading the text.
I use deliberate vocabulary memorisation to plug holes of the colander and s_allard says he takes notes and reviews them, too.
Serpent understands that SRSing can reduce reading time.
Rdearman experienced the process and felt the benefits.
Patrick showed that my results were at least as good as his.

I'm happy :D

Edited by smallwhite on 19 May 2015 at 6:51am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version