United States
Joined 6998 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 249 of 350
22 May 2015 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
2. How many word will one use in the oral production CEFR examination?

That's what starts the arguments. The number of words that "one" (a single individual) uses in the oral production part of a CEFR exam is weakly correlative to the number of words that one, (meaning a typical individual) actually needs to have facility with in order to pass the exam.

You may also consider your frequent use of the word "all". The lack of precision with which you frequently use it pours petrol on debates.

Edited by luke on 23 May 2015 at 12:48am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 250 of 350
22 May 2015 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
But I will say that 300 words used impeccably are much more impressive than 5000 words full of mistakes. It's the mistakes that do you in. Quality always trumps quantity.

That's your personal preference. We've had plenty of threads about what impresses us.

Remember that there's not always an option of switching to a stronger language. In Europe, you can go to Malta with 300 impeccable words of Italian and switch to English when needed (and I wish I had done that, but by failing to set the limits for your approach you ended up not being taken seriously). But if you go to Italy with 300 words of Italian, English speakers will be hit-and-miss.

And life would not be fun if that one time when you can't find anyone who speaks English wasn't the one when you need it most.
2 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4314 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 251 of 350
22 May 2015 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Looking at immigrants, there probably is a reason why they automatically go for quantity instead of quality. It facilitates communication more than grammatical accuracy. No need to impress as long as you still struggle to survive.

Edited by daegga on 22 May 2015 at 5:23pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5055 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 252 of 350
22 May 2015 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
I don't believe s_allard is saying that 300 words is the end-game here. (As an aside s_allard, why not start a log and expand on your methods in greater detail. I would be interested in reading such a log and I believe you would find that it would be well received.) I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, s_allard, that you are saying that with a mastery of the core kernel of a language, whatever arbitrary number under a 1,000 words that may be, it allows a learner to have a solid foundation that is much easier to build upon.

I see this as a worthy goal that I wish I was able to do. This is what a lot of courses try to do in their approach to teaching. Myself, I am just not patient enough to take the time to do that before I will want to take the language out for a spin around the block. Though I don't like to make mistakes, I do. I make a lot of mistakes in the beginning. I don't mind making them because I learn from them. I actually learn more from my mistakes.

Neither am I patient enough to make massive explicit vocabulary learning (whether up front or along the way) a part of my routine. You might as well force me to watch grass grow.

Sit me down with a good text and audio course (in one) and I am going to want to do Pimsleur too. Give me three volumes of Pimsleur and I am going to want to work in a good textbook course as well. Give me both and then I am going to get on twitter and also find a comprehensible, parallel text. After a good spell of this, I will add in native speed audio which will transition to just native speed audio plus a course and speaking. While doing all this, I will be acquiring vocabulary and grammar and it will be mine (me personally, ymmv), in a way that it wouldn't be for me with just formal study and flashcards.

For me it's about fun and using it to communicate with people and interact with the language where it lives and breathes. Take away those aspects from me and force me to load up vocabulary after Michael Thomas (How on Earth do MT fans get past the annoying students and MT himself to learn? Aaaargh!) and I won't enjoy the process. I'd find that not to my liking at all and would quit well before gaining the benefits. Sit me down and force me to master a core of Russian before I am allowed to venture out on my own and I would be bored to tears with quitting being the same result. That's just me and how I do things. We are all different and others see the value in their approaches for themselves. My voice is just one in the chorus of language learning.

Edited by iguanamon on 22 May 2015 at 11:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5223 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 253 of 350
22 May 2015 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Having marked both university essays and worked as an editor on high-end general
journal publications I have to admit that what scientific authors mostly need to do is master the more common
words when trying to communicate professionally. Of course, there is a technical vocabulary, but the best authors
are able to write in a very precise and yet seemingly casual style which allows them to communicate to the
broadest audience.

One of the great advantages of reading is that you are constantly practising the use of high frequency words.
People can talk till they are blue in the face about how most words are simple to pick-up via word lists, but I just
don't find this convincing as I have had to spend many hours working to correct the English of people who are
presumably C1 at least, and have an approximate knowledge of lots of words, but are unable to communicate
their ideas in a clear and efficient manner even when doing so means career success or not.

On the other hand, talking about train stations: Yesterday I was asked by (I think) an Italian in very broken English
where the nearest train station for the U8-line was. I pointed in the direction of the station, but told him that he
needed only go down the stairs behind him leading to the U7 line and then change at the next station. He
nodded and smiled and obviously not understanding what I had said walked off down the street in the semi-
direction of the U8 line. Which suggests to me that having a small vocabulary is fine for simple questions, but
terrible if you actually want to understand the reply.

Although I don't believe my lost friend needed a vocabulary of 8000 words to understand "go down the steps
behind you and change at the next station" I do get the impression that a lot of the tension coming from the
small versus large vocabulary groups comes from emphasising either productive or receptive skills.

I agree with nearly all of this post except for one point. The debate isn't over small versus large vocabulary. In
my opinion, the debate is how does one acquire the adequate vocabulary for the task at hand. I believe in starting
small and expanding as necessary. Others believe, if I'm correctly stating their position, in memorizing a large set
of words to be able to deal with a wide range of situations.

If we look at the concrete example in this post of the (Italian) tourist not understanding the reply to their
question, is this because of lack of vocabulary? Not necessarily so. If one has poor overall command of the
language, as this seemed to be the case, it was probably more than just vocabulary.

But it is true that a language learner will be very often confronted with unknown words. This also happens to
native speakers every day. I'm always learning new words or meanings in French, English and Spanish. Vocabulary
grows with knowledge. This is exactly how our native vocabulary expands. Spontaneously and naturally. Two
days ago, I had never heard of Rembrandt lighting. Now, after talking with a photographer I know what it means.
Otherwise, I could have looked the word up in a dictionary. Isn't that what dictionaries are for?

Maybe I don't understand something but what I don't get is this idea of spending a lot of time memorizing a long
list of words prior to having any need for these words. I don't do this in my native language, why should I do this
in another language?

As I have pointed out, I'm not talking about a structured approach to systematically learning thematically-
organized vocabulary. This is a technique that I think can be effective. For example, I enjoy leafing through
visual dictionaries. But here we are talking about long lists of words often sorted by frequency.

Edited by s_allard on 22 May 2015 at 7:18pm

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4142 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 254 of 350
22 May 2015 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
[...] Two days ago, I had never heard of Rembrandt lighting. Now, after
talking with a photographer I know what it means. Otherwise, I could have looked the word
up in a dictionary. Isn't that what dictionaries are for?

Maybe I don't understand something but what I don't get is this idea of spending a lot of
time memorizing a long list of words prior to having any need for these words. I don't do
this in my native language, why should I do this in another language? [...]

I'm not saying one has to learn everything upfront, and shouldn't even touch native content
before reaching 100% text coverage. I've been reading a forum for learners of Japanese. For
a number of them, it is the only foreign language they're interested in learning. I've
actually seen some of them saying things like "I've learnt 22k words, and I found 200-
something 'unknown' words in a 300-something-page-long book. I think my next goal will be
28k words." Not only that, for some of them, "unknown" means "not studied." No matter if
they could guess it even without a context or not.
I was astonished by such perfectionism, too. I'm not saying you need to first memorize
every word that you may happen to see once or twice in your life. I'm just saying it is a
viable strategy to learn enough, so that you can figure out such words out of context, or
their morphemes, while reading or listening.

Lastly, basing one's approach on how we learn our native languages isn't necessarily the
best idea. Not for all, at least.

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 22 May 2015 at 6:35pm

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5029 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 255 of 350
22 May 2015 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
I believe that if you study a language for 20-50 years, then you'll learn every bit of vocabulary you'll ever need, and what few you don't know immediately you'll figure out form context.

Speaking only for myself, I read for vocabulary, I study lists for vocabulary, and I read grammar books, listen to podcasts, listen to lessons, read textbooks, watch films, just about everything you'd think of in order for me to learn my languages.

One of the reasons I liked smallwhites method of cramming vocabulary is my frustration with my own Italian and French progress. At the moment I've tested at or slightly under C1 in reading in French and I'm probably about the same in Italian (perhaps a little better) but this doesn't stop me being frustrated when I have to stop and lookup words. Even in a popup dictionary this is (for me) an unacceptable delay. I'm a voracious reader in English and I can count the number of times I've used the English dictionary this year on one finger. I can normally figure out the word from context and this is what I always attempt first. I also attempt to figure words out via context in French or Italian as well, but less likely to succeed.

As a consequence of this thread I've started "cramming" words in Italian and I'm not a beginner. I've not bothered with the 1000 most common words, I know those, I'm studying the 2000-8000 most common words because they are the ones I come across the least. My reasoning is, by increasing my coverage of the words I have a better chance of recognising it when I'm reading. I feel if the word is used in a manner which isn't consistent with the definition I learnt for the word, I'll be able to determine the 2nd meaning based on context, and my pre-existing knowledge of the 1st definition.

I'm not a believer in the small is good philosophy of vocabulary, I feel the more words I know, the better. Even if I don't know the "exact" usage of the word in every case at least knowing A definition of the word is more likely to help me determine THE definition in the current context. Also there is a good chance the definition I learned for the word is the correct definition in the current context.

I don't believe native speakers "run into new words everyday", I certainly don't. Having worked for a photographic company, I knew what Rembrandt lighting was already. I do run into new words, but not daily, certainly not as frequently as in my target languages.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5029 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 256 of 350
22 May 2015 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
rdearman wrote:
I'm sorry, I'm confused. You're saying that in order to learn a language I only need a small vocabulary of 300
words, but because each of these words has 5 meanings I have to learn 1,500 words, and I have to put them all
in perfect order all the time in order to speak to a native? I also have to make sure each verb is perfectly correct
with tense and gender, etc?

Although this post is a deliberate distortion of my thinking and probably done to insult me, it does provide a
great opportunity for me to return to one of my favourite topics: the minimum vocabulary size to begin speaking
a language.

No, your posts really do confuse me. I'm not trying to insult you. You continue to talk about "kernel" language, and we only need 300 words, but then in another post you tell me learning lists of words is bad because I don't know all the definitions. So I'm extrapolating that if each word has 5 meanings in your 300 word core, then your core has magically expanded to 1500 words.

s_allard wrote:

Some of the HTLAL veterans will recall that we had a raucous debate about this topic last year and ever since I
have been branded as the 300-word diehard. There were actually two debates that somehow got conflated and
all confused, especially in the minds of people who were not present in the debate. The two questions were:

1. How many unique word families does one need to start speaking a language?
2. How many word will one use in the oral production CEFR examination?

I participated in that debate. I believe you are talking about this thread. Experimenting with French word frequency. I searched the thread for this CEFR examination question you speak of, but couldn't find it. Perhaps you mean a different thread? If you could please link to it I would like to refresh my memory.

s_allard wrote:

I boldly stated that for languages like French, a base vocabulary of around 300 word families will allow the
learner to start interacting in simple dialogues with native speakers This is what I called the speaking vocabulary
threshold. This simply says that at this point you can start doing basic things in the language on your
own.

Although I'm not always clear as I should be, I try to think things through before I put words to paper. This
number 300 is a bit arbitrary of course but was not picked out of thin air. It is based on the observations of
French teachers that at a certain point, the learner has a good enough mastery of the grammar and enough basic
vocabulary to get by in simple situations and, very importantly, continue learning IN the language.

"Mastery of the grammar" is the operative phrase here. This small number, 300 words, is really a bit misleading
because it tends to hide the fact that it really presupposes the solid grounding in French grammar. For example,
this list contains the key function or grammar words of French plus around 50 of the most common verbs.

This is the tricky part. If you master that material, you know how to work the language. This will not be perfect of
course but it allows you to get by. Everything else, such as the nouns and more verbs will expand as you are
exposed to them. To illustrate all this, here is small dialogue in a cheese shop:

A –Bonjour madame. Est-ce qu’on s’occupe de vous?
B - Bonjour monsieur. Pas encore.
A – Alors, je vous écoute. Qu'est-ce qu'il vous faut?
B – Je voudrais un Camembert pour ce soir.
A – Nous en avons plusieurs. Voulez-vous que je vous fasse goûter?
B – Non, ce ne sera pas nécessaire. Vous pouvez m'en recommander un?
A – Mais bien sûr. Tenez, celui-là est pas mal. C'est mon préféré.
B – Très bien. Je le prends.
A – Est-ce que ça va être tout ?
B – Oui, c’est tout.
A – Voilà. Passez à la caisse, s’il vous plaît. Merci et bonne journée.
B – Merci à vous et bonne journée.

How many unique words are in this dialogue? Around 50. That's not a lot. But underneath those 50 words, there's
a huge amount of French grammar. The idea here isn't to memorize this dialogue and then venture out in to the
world claiming to the speak French. The goal is to understand how the language works and then transpose it to
different situations, including this one.

Another key idea is that since those high-frequency words have many uses and meanings, they can be recycled
over and over again. For example, the verb faire has over three pages in my big fat Larousse dictionary. If you
nail how to use faire well, you can do a lot with it.

Some bright person will probably say: "This is fine and good if I want to spend my day in a cheese shop. Suppose
I go to the bank to exchange dollars for euros, this dialogue is useless." Well, is this dialogue completely
useless? Not so. Parts can be reused at the bank. More importantly, with your knowledge of the underlying
grammar, you just have to rework the vocabulary, adding where necessary, and you can get by quite well.

You don't need 5000 words to start speaking French. Sure, you'll need all those words to talk about a wide range
of subjects but, for the time being, we are talking about beginning to feel that you can make some sense in the
language.

For some strange reason many people started broadcasting that what I had said was that one does not need to
learn more than 300 words in a language. Nothing could be further from the truth. I believe that one has to
eventually know a lot more than 300 words. And certainly keep working on the grammar.

But I will say that 300 words used impeccably are much more impressive than 5000 words full of mistakes. It's
the mistakes that do you in. Quality always trumps quantity.

Once again you have decided to focus on verbs, and as I continue to point out, and EMK so brilliantly refuted your claims in the thread linked to above your theory would work if it wasn't for nouns. Without nouns you're are handicapped because nouns are too subject-specific and the distribution of nouns is too flat. You can know all the verbs in the world, but if you need to catch a train and you don't know the nouns, train, train station, etc. then you're out of luck.

You say you can just "rework as necessary" but we then come back to the argument that you don't know what conversations you'll have in the future. If someone comes into your cheese shop and wants to talk about trains, or chickens, or thermoelectric dynamic systems, or Boyles law, or the latest craze in t-shirts you are again out of luck. You can increase your chances of having a non-cheese conversation in a cheese shop using your recycled verbs if you've memorised A LOT of nouns. Just because you've prepared a list of 300-1500 words you will always speak on, it doesn't mean the native will talk about that, they might pick something else to speak of.

I'm not trying to have a go at you, or insult you, but you seem very determined to push your agenda. Perhaps, if you would please start a log, determine the 300 Mandarin words you'll learn, then skype with smallwhite she can evaluate your method and see if 300 words are enough to have a conversation about a topic which you don't pick. Or Polish, or Russia, or any language you care to pick 300 words in.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version