Joined 5223 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 201 of 350
19 May 2015 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
s_allard wrote:

A list of the most common verbs in French would start with être, avoir, faire, dire, savoir, dire, venir, parler,
pouvoir, connaître, etc. Memorizing that list is, in my opinion, entirely useless. Instead, I could use that list to
orient my learning of French verbs. Those are the ones I would explore first. But that's not the same as
memorizing the list. That's why I would be interested in looking at a list of the most 500 common words in
Polish, not to learn them by heart but to develop my learning strategy.

I mentioned your theory to my neighbour who is French. She said she was required to memorise all irregular verb
forms when she was growing up, and her son was taught the same way. Rote memorisation of French verbs and
verb forms. So if it is good enough for the French, why isn't rote memorisation good enough for people who are
learning French as a second language?

I'd be curious to know what theory was mentioned to the French neighbour. Do I really have to quote what I said?
"Memorizing that list is useless. Instead, I could use that list to orient my learning of French verbs. Those are the
ones I would explore first".

I totally agree with the neighbour. Of course, one should memorize all irregular verb forms. Memoriziation is
certainly good for people who are learning a language. The question is what do you memorize. Do you memorize
a list of the 100 most common French verbs or do you memorize the forms of the 100 most common French
verbs?
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4500 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 202 of 350
19 May 2015 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
I memorize neither. I memorize grammar patterns and guidelines so I can form the right
forms on the spot, and I form patterns for irregular verbs as well (because you can
always somehow categorise them due to some phonological rule. There are some exceptions,
but they are the minority).
4 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5101 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 203 of 350
19 May 2015 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
rdearman wrote:

HIS
PHONE
CAR
PICKLE
BOOK
FRENCHMAN
IN
OR
OVER
UNDER
RANDOM
RADIO
DOG
CAT
HORSE
CHICKEN
PILLOW
BOAT
OAR
GRASS
TREE
LEAF

I'm not sure what is the purpose of presenting a list of
English words that most of us know. Is English the target language here? Are these words to be learned or to be
reviewed? This is a good example of confused thinking.

So is this better? LOL.

HIS 他的
PHONE 電話
CAR 汽車
PICKLE 酸瓜
BOOK 書本
FRENCHMAN 法國人
IN 在
OR 或
OVER 超過
UNDER 之下
RANDOM 隨機
RADIO 收音機
DOG 狗
CAT 貓
HORSE 馬
CHICKEN 雞
PILLOW 枕頭
BOAT 船
OAR 船槳 I had no idea how to write this 2nd character and had to look up a dico LOL
GRASS 草
TREE 樹
LEAF 葉

Edited by smallwhite on 19 May 2015 at 4:43pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 204 of 350
19 May 2015 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
The verb forms aren't even that difficult when you already speak an inflected language, especially a related one. In Spanish I've picked up most forms naturally. In Portuguese I used to spend a lot of time conjugating verbs but I'm not sure it was all that efficient.

Oh and yeah, many people really do hate using grammar books. I do, mostly because the sentences are so helplessly boring. Plus the same reasons as I discussed in Josquin's log.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4142 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 205 of 350
19 May 2015 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
So if it is good enough for the French, why isn't rote memorisation good
enough for people who are learning French as a second language?

Well, the natives may not always do everything right. Just look at how the Chinese are
taught the characters, or the Polish how to spell...

@s_allard I actually didn't know the word "oar." And English is the target language for
some people here. As to what memorizing your list will give you - when you see them in use,
you won't need to look them up. Which should make the activity more smooth and pleasant.

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 19 May 2015 at 4:54pm

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4314 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 206 of 350
19 May 2015 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
and I form patterns for irregular verbs as well (because you can
always somehow categorise them due to some phonological rule. There are some exceptions,
but they are the minority).

I only know for Germanic languages, but most of those allegedly irregular verbs are of course not irregular at all (and it must be similar for other indoeuropean languages). It's just that teachers like to call everything irregular that doesn't fit the main pattern and where the amount of words in the particular class is so small that you can actually learn them by heart - I guess it makes their job easier not having to explain "difficult" things. And it has caught on.

Edited by daegga on 19 May 2015 at 4:56pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5029 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 207 of 350
19 May 2015 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

I've never seen any of these words before. How should I use this list? How will memorizing this list help? Will this give my Polish a boost? Should I learn a list like this every day?

Yes, it will help. Yes you should learn them.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5223 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 208 of 350
19 May 2015 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 

rdearman wrote:
s_allard wrote:

I've never seen any of these words before. How should I use this list? How will memorizing this list help? Will
this give my Polish a boost? Should I learn a list like this every day?

Yes, it will help. Yes you should learn them.

This is the key point here. Learning lists of unknown words in advance will "make the activity smooth and
pleasant" because you don't need to look them up. This is certainly true if we mean "learning unknown words".
We're talking here about learning lists of words. For example, do you learn a list of 100 French verb infinitives or
do you learn how to conjugate those 100 verbs? Or, as an alternative, do you learn to conjugate the verbs as you
meet them?

I gave the example of a structured approach used to approach the learning of Spanish vocabulary in a book I
mentioned above. This I think can work well. If something like this were available in Polish, I would certainly go
for it.

On the other hand, the idea of leaning lists of words put together higgledy-piggledy just in case you come across
them is to me very inefficient.

Now, the interesting thing is that I the learner will certainly be learning vocabulary every day. As I explore the
language I'll certainly may be learning 15 words of Polish a day. But I'm learning them organically, as I learn the
language. Why try to learn things randomly in the hope that I'll meet them some day?

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version