Joined 4702 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 65 of 350
30 April 2015 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
Will it IMPROVE MY LANGUAGE LEVEL? I think it will do so more than a 2-4 second rep of the card, during which time I can only confirm if I know or don't know the word.

How will it improve your language level? With 2-second reps, I remember that "noir" means black when I see it. With 30-second reps, I remember that "noir" means black when I see it. I don't see how the latter makes me more advanced?

Jeffers wrote:
You write about learning around 8000 words per year, totalling about one minute spent on each word.

I'm not sure if that's what I wrote about. I felt that I wrote If you SRS 8000 words over 1 year, the reps take 22 minutes per day at 4 seconds each. And if you prefer a slower pace of 2 years, 13 minutes per day.

Jeffers wrote:
The fact is that there are very few people who are capable of cramming and remembering 7-8000 words in a year, especially devoting that little time to each word

But SRS is not my sole tool, I read and listen to things when I'm not SRSing. I meet my words for 22 minutes inside SRS, and let's say 60 minutes outside SRS. Many or most people just read and don't even use SRS, and they still learn:
READ + 0 SRS

I do brief SRS:
READ + 2 seconds SRS

You do deep SRS:
READ + 30 seconds SRS

0 < 2 < 30. If I am more gifted than you are, then those people who don't use SRS are more gifted that I am. They learn words by reading alone; I need to read and revise.

Jeffers wrote:
Somewhere I remember Iversen and Emk calculating how much time they spent total on each word before they learnt it, and although I think they are good learners, I'm pretty sure it was more than 60 seconds per word.

I spend time on the words, too, BEFORE THE SRS PROCESS. I mentioned reading to extract words which takes me 2 mins each. I mentioned going through my 2000-4000 word list repetitively trying to extract 10 easiest words to learn, and that often they're easy because I had encountered them beforehand in textbooks and whatnot.

Jeffers wrote:
Some people have a special gift for memorizing and retaining a large amount of facts in a short time.

I have significantly worse memory than my friends and colleagues, but I know you won't believe it and will say I have poor memory in everything except vocabulary-memorisation.

WhereasI often have the impression that learners spend a lot of time doing things that they think - but don't really know for sure - are productive.

My mother boils eggs at maximum heat for 20 to 30 minutes, and doesn't believe me when I say people recommend ~10 minutes on the internet. She didn't mention people having better eggs. Maybe she thinks people have better stoves. I use medium heat that's just enough to keep the water boiling. I know mother thinks her boiling water at max heat is hotter than my boiling water at medium heat.

There's a lot in here, some really interesting ideas, and some good clarification of your points. I won't try to respond to all of it, but just bring back a few key points.

* I agree your mother is boiling eggs for too long. On the other hand, if you tried to grill chicken in 2-4 minutes, I'd say you were risking getting sick. Just like different foods, different words need different times. Noir is a poor example, because it's practically an English word, so like you I would have zipped through that card in a couple of seconds. But take a word like serrurerie and that's a different proposition. Even if you know the meaning instantly, it's worth taking the time to think about how to pronounce it properly. Like you, I spend more of my time doing things other than SRS, but I'd rather not break up the flow of reading to think deeply about the word; that is something I can take the time for while doing SRS.

* I decided to look at my Anki stats and see how much I've done in the past 30 days. I've SRSed 2500 cards (many of them repeats, of course), and spent 500 minutes, making an average of 5 words per minute. Much of that time occurred while doing other things (e.g. watching TV), so the time taken is stretched a bit in comparison to what it would be if I only did SRS when I was concentrating on it.

* I'm glad you clarified your methods of learning words. "22 minutes inside SRS, and let's say 60 minutes outside SRS", totalling 82 minutes per word, seems like a reasonable learning period, and is something we can work with in thinking about how we use SRS. It does mean that, although you could SRS 8000 words in a year, you have no hope of learning 8000 new words in a year at that rate; there just aren't that many hours in a year. I do realize that 60 minutes is probably a figure you pulled out of the air, and on reflection you might make it shorter.

* My only real objection was what I thought was the implication that you could learn 7-8000 words by SRSing for 22 minutes a day.

* I'm liking your spreadsheet idea, and a big thanks to rdearman for showing us a working model. I teach ICT in a secondary school, so I'll probably show it to my classes as another example of how many things you can do with a spreadsheet. I call spreadsheets "duct tape for geeks", since we use it for everything!
3 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4314 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 66 of 350
30 April 2015 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

* I'm glad you clarified your methods of learning words. "22 minutes inside SRS, and
let's say 60 minutes outside SRS", totalling 82 minutes per word, seems like a
reasonable learning period, and is something we can work with in thinking about how we
use SRS. It does mean that, although you could SRS 8000 words in a year, you
have no hope of learning 8000 new words in a year at that rate; there just
aren't that many hours in a year. I do realize that 60 minutes is probably a figure
you pulled out of the air, and on reflection you might make it shorter.

Judging by the previous comments, this must be 82 minutes per day, not per word ;)

Jeffers wrote:

I call spreadsheets "duct tape for geeks", since we use it for everything!

Real geeks don't use spreadsheets of course, it's cumbersome in a command shell if
there even is a usable implementation (using ncurses or so). Isn't it usually the
business administration guys and the secretaries who use spreadsheets?

Edited by daegga on 30 April 2015 at 12:08pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4142 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 67 of 350
30 April 2015 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
[...] I'm glad you clarified your methods of learning words. "22 minutes
inside SRS, and let's say 60 minutes outside SRS", totalling 82 minutes per word[...]

I think your maths is wrong... 82 minutes is the time spent daily on vocabulary
acquisition, at the pace of 8k words a year. If it did take 82 minutes per word, that'd
amount to just 365.25 words a year (on average). The average number of words "introduced"
daily must be around 21.9, and if it takes 82 minutes daily, it means it's just ~3.75
minutes per word.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 30 April 2015 at 12:11pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 68 of 350
30 April 2015 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
Whoops, I guess I read that one completely wrong! I read as time per word rather than time per day.

While I agree with the point that you could SRS 8000 words in a year, I still think it would be an amazing feat to both learn and SRS 8000 words in a single year. The poll I created was to see what language learners actually do, and so far nobody has ticked the 8000+ choice.

A lot of the confusion between smallwhite and myself is over what we do with SRS. I use SRS for learning words in order to read, watch and listen. For me reviewing mainly takes place when I read, watch and listen. For smallwhite (if I understand her correctly), SRS is for reviewing words she has learned by other means.

Edited by Jeffers on 30 April 2015 at 1:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5029 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 69 of 350
30 April 2015 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:

Real geeks don't use spreadsheets of course, it's cumbersome in a command shell if
there even is a usable implementation (using ncurses or so). Isn't it usually the
business administration guys and the secretaries who use spreadsheets?

As an IT person I have to say the use of spreadsheets is my biggest bugbear. Especially when people use spreadsheets for DATA. Data goes into databases, spreadsheets are for calculations of numbers, and in fact databases can normally do those calculations better. It is just people tend to think in terms of grid layouts. If you've ever had to pull apart some of these obscene spreadsheets and make it into a proper database you'd happily kick Dan Bricklin in the arse.

Anyway. I really like smallwhites spreadsheet it is very simple to implement and I'm thinking of using it for my Mandarin studies. It would help me to write in PinYin and hence Characters. I can see the use of having to type in the answer quickly.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5029 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 70 of 350
30 April 2015 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
I have done an excel spreadsheet which is loosely based on smallwhites method. I tried to put it on google drive but it kept messing up the conditional formating. So if you want to download it and have a go it is here: Vocabulary.xlsx

My Italian tutor is always giving me crossword puzzle books. It is a great way to mine words for vocabulary, and I can just use the hint sentence in the puzzle for the book. So I've arranged the spreadsheet this way, so I have the answer, the hint, and the number of letters. You can rearrange as you please.

I even included a pie chart, because all spreadsheets need a pie chart.

:)
4 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5101 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 71 of 350
01 May 2015 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
chaotic_thought wrote:

By the way, if you don't like to read, then the same rule applies for whatever form of natural input you use. Radio, television, attending lectures/classes/tutoring sessions, talking with colleagues, passers-by, friends or whatever.

OK, radio & conversations count like reading, but I don't do these either if I don't have to. There's an actively learning stage, and there's a graduated therefore no longer actively learning stage (I understand we learn new things every day even in our native language so I added the word "actively"). My goal is between those 2 stages.

So, before reaching my goal, I study actively, but I only read or converse the bare minumum, just enough to reach my goal. Reading is not a given, and neither is radio, tutoring sessions, conversations, etc. "I don't need SRS because I re-encounter words when I read / listen to radio / take classes" is still saying "I don't need SRS because I do other forms of study".

Whereas I would evaluate SRS TOGETHER with those other forms of study to pick what's most efficient. Instead of taking the other forms of study as given, and looking at whether using SRS in addition to them is necessary. (Of course it'd appear unnecessary if you look at it like that! If you're already taking multivitamins you don't need to take additional vitamin C!)

chaotic_thought wrote:

If X doesn't ever come up in a natural setting after 30, 60, 90 days, then you can safely forget about it.

I hear this a lot, and I don't agree at all.

Firstly, if you really mean NATURAL setting, that's very un-ambitious (don't know the word XD). That means you're only after maybe 3000 words. I aim higher.

Secondly, I aim higher, because with SRS (and other efficient tools and tricks), I can achieve higher levels in the same timeframe. More in the same time, or even less time - who wouldn't want that?

Thirdly, I don't believe you can really learn enough in a NATURAL setting. I believe you have to pick your genres carefully, read when you normally wouldn't, and read things you normally wouldn't read. Otherwise you'd only be exposed to maybe 3000 words, which takes us back to my first point above.

And there you have a full loop.

chaotic_thought wrote:

I'm actually saying ideally that reading is SRS. When you read a word X on day 1, you know what it means. If you keep reading, you *should* encounter word X again within N days (notice that N naturally increases as the frequency of the word X decreases) After N days have passed, you'd almost forgotten about word X, but there it is again in your reading! That's what spaced repetition is all about.

But what I wrote there is afterall, personal preference, and people are welcome to say "I do prefer less in more time". My real question is - how is reading/exposure same as SRS?

SRS is: more frequent initially, less frequent later.
READING is: frequent words more frequent, less frequent words less frequent.

READING is: encountering the word "friend" twice a day, the word "acquaintance" once a month.
SRS is: encountering the word "friend" twice a day now, once a month later, once a year even later.

Totally different, no?

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5101 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 72 of 350
01 May 2015 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I teach ICT in a secondary school, so I'll probably show it to my classes as another example of how many things you can do with a spreadsheet. I call spreadsheets "duct tape for geeks", since we use it for everything!

Sounds like I should teach ICT. I use Excel for everything! Empty grids for Chinese calligraphy, grids with pale grey Japanese words for writing over with pen, conjugation drills for French, blank music scores for writing music...

Jeffers wrote:
A lot of the confusion between smallwhite and myself is over what we do with SRS. I use SRS for learning words in order to read, watch and listen. For me reviewing mainly takes place when I read, watch and listen. For smallwhite (if I understand her correctly), SRS is for reviewing words she has learned by other means.

You understand her correctly.

It's up to you how you use SRS/flashcards, but I'd sincerely like to remind you that learning is distinct from memorising, SRS was designed for memorisation, and that it's often best to use the right tools for the right purpose. If you and I use the same tool yet learn at different speeds, maybe it's because of the way we use the tool.

Jeffers wrote:
While I agree with the point that you could SRS 8000 words in a year, I still think it would be an amazing feat to both learn and SRS 8000 words in a single year.

Learning 8000 words in a year is just 22 words a day. Not that hard if you use tricks like mnemonics or the just-pick-the-easiest-words I use, and beginning the SRS process rightaway. Once you do begin it, the chance of forgetting is just 15% for Anki (I's told) and 3.34% for my just-pick-the-easiest-words. If you spread it over 3 sessions during the day that's even easier. I noticed that I can only learn so many words in a session, but I can learn many, many sessions each day and still remember. I learned 78 Italian words the other day over multiple sessions, and when I did the reps the following day, they didn't feel any harder than my usual 12~18 words. Each session seemed independant.

Edited by smallwhite on 01 May 2015 at 3:06am

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version