rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5029 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 113 of 350
17 May 2015 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
These large scale lexicons are usually not very well filtered, so you'll have a lot of proper names and misspellings in there, which will sum up to a significant portion of the corpus. In other words - these 8000 words will probably give you quite a bit more than 92% coverage on the relevant part of the corpus.

Actually this one is very good. It breaks all the words into not only proper nouns, but also breaks out the usage of numbers which are spelled out. e.g. ventinove, etc. It also defines verbs, auxillary verbs, symbols, numerals (written and digit forms) proper nouns (names, etc), adverbs, etc, etc.

I agree you could probably get better than 92% coverage, using this lexicon, because filtering out proper nouns, misspellings, etc might get you nearer to 95-98%. Especially if the list of 8000 words were reviewed and vetted by a native speaker or tutor. Of course different languages and other lexicons will have their own problems and coverage, so this example wouldn't fit everything.

Ezy Ryder wrote:
90% may sound good, but most likely one will need ~98% (at least 95%). Once you make compelling input comprehensible, extensive reading can do you a world of good. It can improve your speaking, listening, spelling... You just need to be aware it's gonna be a step, and not a method on its own.

Yes, I agree. But using smallwhites method makes a beginner much more efficient at approaching the 90-99% coverage range in a shorter period of time. I am constantly telling people to move on to native materials as soon as possible, and I think for a beginner this type of cramming would see them using native material faster and will a greater degree of confidence. Also her use of the spreadsheet which requires all answers to be input via the keyboard and matching the native word, not just "pattern recognition" would in my view give the beginner an additional boost in comprehension.

I don't think the beginner will "speak" the language after 98% comprehension, but it should lower the amount of time required to move ahead. There are other issues with the method nobody has mentioned, like for example cramming puts things into short-term memory, so you'd have to review the spreadsheets a number of times in order to get the most benefit.

1 person has voted this message useful

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4431 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 114 of 350
17 May 2015 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
A much more efficient method would be to take a text you want to
read, and feed it into text analysis software, making a list of the 98% most common
words in that text. Then you could study the list before reading the text. When you
are done, take the next text you want to read and analyse the vocabulary, learning the
98% most common words in that text minus the words you already learned for the
previous text. Using a method like this the learner would have smaller sets of
vocabulary to learn. But more importantly, the words learnt would appear in the texts
read so they would be reinforced. Conversely, you would never waste time cramming a
word which you wouldn't come across.

But the 'smallwhite method' (as I interpret it) is essentially just a manual version
of this. She chooses the words that seem 'easiest' to her and adds them to her
spreadsheet. How does she recognise a word as being easy? It must surely be that she
keeps seeing it while reading and basically already knows it (hence 'reviewing', not
'learning' words).

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5029 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 115 of 350
17 May 2015 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

A much more efficient method would be to take a text you want to read, and feed it into text analysis software, making a list of the 98% most common words in that text. Then you could study the list before reading the text. When you are done, take the next text you want to read and analyse the vocabulary, learning the 98% most common words in that text minus the words you already learned for the previous text. Using a method like this the learner would have smaller sets of vocabulary to learn. But more importantly, the words learnt would appear in the texts read so they would be reinforced. Conversely, you would never waste time cramming a word which you wouldn't come across.

Doing something like this, it will take you a lot longer to learn 8000 words, but you will retain them better, you will understand the words in a more nuanced way by having seen them in use, and you will have practiced much more of the language by actually reading it. Overall, I think it would be more efficient. Now if only I had software which would do this with my ebooks and feed the vocab into Anki or something. One of these days I'll get around to scripting it myself!

Yes but this takes us back to the need for s_allards time-travelling word machine. I can't know what words I might need or even what books I want to read yet. However, like an insurance company I can use statistical probability to help me try and determine what words I might need. Not every 18 year old who passed their driving test last month is going to have an accident, however statistical probability says they are more likely to than an old fart like me. So their insurance is higher than mine. Besides I know lots of words in English that I haven't used.

Anyway, that isn't my point. My point is regardless of which words you wish to review, her method is a very effective way to learn a large number of words in a short space of time. Which is what a beginner needs. But also that is the reason I was suggesting in my last post that it would be best if you could have your list of 8000 words vetted by a native speaker. That was mainly in response to Serpents question about how she might use this method to teach beginners.

I'm not suggesting, nor do I think smallwhite was suggesting that knowing the words individually means you can grok it all when they are assembled as a sentence. I'm simply saying it would give a beginner one hell of a jump start when they go to read the first book.

BTW, I put the script you are talking about in my Mandarin log. I did that in order to strip all the unique characters out of the book 1984 which I have in Mandarin. You'd have to change the script slightly to get word boundaries for a Romance language.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 116 of 350
17 May 2015 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
Ezy Ryder wrote:
Serpent wrote:
I have no deadline and I'm my own boss in language learning.

I believe we all have a deadline. "Memento mori." Supposing I have enough time left to learn a language to a satisfying level, even if I manage to get there a mere week earlier than with some other approach, I do get one more week to enjoy the results. As long as I don't burn out in the process, I guess...

I never replied... Of course in this sense it's true. But I don't want to spend my life being bored*. I don't have such a division between hard work and enjoying the fruit of it. I start enjoying as soon as I start learning.

*originally written as "life is too short for being bored", but I would do my best to avoid boredom even if I could live forever.

I recently found a quote that describes my learning style perfectly: "I'd rather be confused for 10 minutes than bored for 5 seconds."

Edited by Serpent on 17 May 2015 at 4:15am

2 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5101 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 117 of 350
17 May 2015 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Phase 3 is entitled, "who's being fragile now?" If you're worried about Serpent wasting your time, smallwhite, then you don't need to respond. As long as Serpent isn't being rude to you, she's free to question you as much as she likes. This is a discussion forum after all. If, as it appears to me, you're getting tired of the discussion, then leave it alone for a while.

I know I can just ignore Serpent's questions but I find it rude to just walk out of the conversation; I've been reading Serpent's posts for a long time and I like her, I don't want to just walk out on her. I tried twice to close the conversation by recognising a gap between us, but she wouldn't let go :(

I'd love to talk about SRS or my Excel file, but I don't feel that's what Serpent's after. She's not even trying to protect newbies, as that could've been achieved by simply taking up on my offer and telling me how to phrase my future posts more carefully. I feel that she's just trying to prove me wrong (or something like that, or something not really for the good of everyone), but what have I done? I was just writing about what I did 5 years ago, was saying it worked, was quantifying the time it takes, so where is there wrong to prove and why would one want to do that? I find this pointless and I'm sick of this part.

Also annoyed because she's interrogating without even knowing how the process works, she doesn't even know/remember the steps, steps that have been described in this very thread.

Edited by smallwhite on 17 May 2015 at 7:23am

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5101 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 118 of 350
17 May 2015 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I just don't think taking a frequency list and cramming 8000 words is efficient.

Can I know what people are now considering as "my method"? That sentence above scared me. That's not what I was doing; that's what Rob was doing with Swedish, but not me.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4142 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 119 of 350
17 May 2015 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
Ezy Ryder wrote:
90% may sound good, but most likely one will need ~98%
(at least 95%). Once you make compelling input comprehensible, extensive reading can do you
a world of good. It can improve your speaking, listening, spelling... You just need to be
aware it's gonna be a step, and not a method on its own.

Yes, I agree. But using smallwhites method makes a beginner much more efficient at
approaching the 90-99% coverage range in a shorter period of time. I am constantly telling
people to move on to native materials as soon as possible, and I think for a beginner this
type of cramming would see them using native material faster and will a greater degree of
confidence. Also her use of the spreadsheet which requires all answers to be input via the
keyboard and matching the native word, not just "pattern recognition" would in my view give
the beginner an additional boost in comprehension.

I'm not speaking against learning lots of words upfront. I'm just trying to encourage
people to learn more than just 8000 words at the beginning. I guess if you're studying a
language very similar to one you know, you may not need to study quite as many
words, but you still need to understand them. Some people here seem to think words in the
8k frequency range must be seldom used/seen. I beg to differ. When I studied 13k words in
Mandarin (8k from TOCFL wordlists, the rest from native content), I not only encountered a
number of them in different sources than the original, but also always found many
unfamiliar words. Which suggests that understanding just 10-13k words might not be quite
enough (at least for me, and I'm not even one of the "native-level or bust" kind o'
people).

rdearman wrote:
There are other issues with the method nobody has mentioned, like for
example cramming puts things into short-term memory, so you'd have to review the
spreadsheets a number of times in order to get the most benefit.

AFAIK long term memory is anything you remember after a minute without reviewing...

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 17 May 2015 at 9:43am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 120 of 350
17 May 2015 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
Yes but this takes us back to the need for s_allards time-travelling word machine. I can't know what words I might need or even what books I want to read yet. However, like an insurance company I can use statistical probability to help me try and determine what words I might need. Not every 18 year old who passed their driving test last month is going to have an accident, however statistical probability says they are more likely to than an old fart like me. So their insurance is higher than mine. Besides I know lots of words in English that I haven't used.

You don't know what book you're going to read before you read it? I don't have a time machine, but I wish I had a machine which made random foreign language books appear in my house. Part of my point was that if you focus on texts that you plan to read it is possible to give youself a glimpse into the future.

And it is statistics which make the 8000 word method inefficient. What is the liklihood of a word in the 7-8k range appearing in a single randomly chosen book? Vanishingly rare. What's the likelihood of this word appearing in 10 books? Still surprisingly rare. This is from was an article I read recently which looked at the use of frequency lists, and concluded that after around 2500 the words individually become too rare to be efficient to learn. Their conclusion was the students should cram the first 2500 words and then work on strategies to learn new vocabulary from the books they read, etc.

Taking your insurance analogy, insurance companies do use statistics to determine that 18 year olds are more likely to crash. But if someone discovers that statistically redheads driving on a Thursday are 0.001% more likely to crash if they are travelling north on a Thursday than southbound on a Friday, they're not going to use these statistics because the likelihood of it making a difference is rare.

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version