United States
Joined 3335 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 329 of 350
30 May 2015 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
I currently enter every single new word I come across into my flashcard deck while I
study courses.

I'm now wondering whether I adapt some aspect of smallwhite's approach and simply keep
the cards as simple as possible (i will add small phrases for clarification though to
differentiate between adj/noun etc or subtlties in meaning such as:

prendre = take [clarification: food or drink],

prendre = take [transportation]

mettre = to put, to place

mettre = take [clarification: route],

comprendre [clarification être compose en partie de, être composé partiellement de]
= to include, to contain [clarification: to be composed partly of, to be partly made
up of]

comprendre [clarification: saisir le sens de, se rendre compte de, admettre,
concevoir, apprécier]
= to understand, to comprehend, to realise, to see, to sympathize with, to have
feeling for

I do something similar for my courses. New words are recorded only for textbooks. To solve the problems you allude to I use the following format:

prendre_1: je drois _______ le 65 / prendre
prendre_2: vous desirez _______ un apéritif / prendre
mettre_1: (p123)
mettre_2: (p124)
comprendre_1: (p125)
comprendre_2: (p127)

The first field is the word key, which is simply an arbitrary symbol to distinguish between multiple "mental entries" of a word in one's brain. It is my view that there is not such a thing as a "correct" way to distinguish between such entries other than to give an example. For example, you implied that to you prendre_1 is "having to do with transportation", but is this really the case? Maybe I might use the same expression even if taking the 65 on foot. Ultimately only increased experience with the language will answer questions of word choice in a long-lasting and intuitive way.

To avoid wasting time I leave most entries blank or just write a page number. I do this when the entry is "too easy" or "too well studied". For example, some words in the language are either too cumbersome to explain or are so obvious to the point that an explanation is no longer necessary. As an example, if I wanted to record the fact that I learned "tu" and "vous" in French I could write the following:

tu_1: (p1)
vous_1: (p1)

There is no possible flashcard-prompting information that I could write for these words to get them to pop into my head or to remind me how to use them correctly. If I truly have forgotten them, then my only reasonable option would be to go back to page 1 of that textbook and read about this topic.

Edited by chaotic_thought on 30 May 2015 at 2:01pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5269 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 330 of 350
31 May 2015 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
chaotic_thought wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
I currently enter every single new
word I come across into my flashcard deck while I
study courses.

I'm now wondering whether I adapt some aspect of smallwhite's approach and simply keep
the cards as simple as possible (i will add small phrases for clarification though to
differentiate between adj/noun etc or subtlties in meaning such as:

comprendre [clarification être compose en partie de, être composé partiellement de]
= to include, to contain [clarification: to be composed partly of, to be partly made
up of]

concevoir, apprécier]
feeling for

I do something similar for my courses. New words are recorded only for textbooks. To
solve the problems you allude to I use the following format:

prendre_1: je drois _______ le 65 / prendre
prendre_2: vous desirez _______ un apéritif / prendre
mettre_1: (p123)
mettre_2: (p124)
comprendre_1: (p125)
comprendre_2: (p127)

The first field is the word key, which is simply an arbitrary symbol to distinguish
between multiple "mental entries" of a word in one's brain. It is my view that there
is not such a thing as a "correct" way to distinguish between such entries other than
to give an example. For example, you implied that to you prendre_1 is "having to do
with transportation", but is this really the case? Maybe I might use the same
expression even if taking the 65 on foot. Ultimately only increased experience with
the language will answer questions of word choice in a long-lasting and intuitive way.

To avoid wasting time I leave most entries blank or just write a page number. I do
this when the entry is "too easy" or "too well studied". For example, some words in
the language are either too cumbersome to explain or are so obvious to the point that
an explanation is no longer necessary. As an example, if I wanted to record the fact
that I learned "tu" and "vous" in French I could write the following:

tu_1: (p1)
vous_1: (p1)

There is no possible flashcard-prompting information that I could write for these
words to get them to pop into my head or to remind me how to use them correctly. If I
truly have forgotten them, then my only reasonable option would be to go back to page
1 of that textbook and read about this topic.

Cool, thanks for sharing chaotic_thought. I contemplated using references in my
flashcards for textbook sources when initially starting with them and but soon opted
out of that as I personally found that too messy. I think I just need to stick to this
rule- is little information as possible and only provide further information if it's
going to distinguish one word from being mixed up with another word spelled the same
or a difference in meaning of the same word. I'll just see how I go, hopefully I can
streamline it. It just seems to me the SRS is a pain, it always has been for me, but i
ironically like the idea of having an inventory of terms i've already learned/come
across and should know. Perhaps providing multiple examples is simply overkill and
that's where my flaw is.

In some ways i'm self conscious of having requested this advice. I've requested it a
few times before and like I said ppl are probably over it. I also think I tend to come
across stupid by asking obvious questions. I do the same at work sometimes (more so
when I was newer) but essentially I enjoy asking others' opinions with an air of open-
mindedness that the way I do things is not necessarily the best method. In the end I
often remain stubborn and can't break my own patterns and seem to be the opposite of
open-mindedness. All like many ppl keep saying- as long as you remain consistent in
your learning you should get there in the end. Still I will endeavour to attempt to
make some aspects of my studying more efficient. It seems at least I've successfully
managed to kill this thread.

Well since it's Australia, I might as well go and throw another shrimp on the barbe...
I've already thrown a few dozen on there this morning, but hell what's another one,
right?

PM
1 person has voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5101 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 331 of 350
31 May 2015 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:

up of]

concevoir, apprécier]
feeling for

You can use phrases with a representative noun, eg.

to have a coffee = prendre un café
to take the bus = prendre le bus
to put on 2 kilos = prendre 2 kilos

so the question side and the answer side still have this 1 to 1 relationship (no additional notes), and you'd have a complete phrase in your head that you can use.

I don't like doing that, though. If a word is too hard to create a card for, I simply don't create the card this time. Maybe I will have better luck/inspiration next time. If you can't stand the thought of not creating a card for a new word, you can write it down somewhere or bookmark the dictionary entry, and leave it for later.

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5269 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 332 of 350
31 May 2015 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
prendre = take [clarification: food or
drink],

up of]

concevoir, apprécier]
feeling for

You can use phrases with a representative noun, eg.

to have a coffee = prendre un café
to take the bus = prendre le bus
to put on 2 kilos = prendre 2 kilos

so the question side and the answer side still have this 1 to 1 relationship (no
additional notes), and you'd have a complete phrase in your head that you can use.

I don't like doing that, though. If a word is too hard to create a card for, I simply
don't create the card this time. Maybe I will have better luck/inspiration next time.
If you can't stand the thought of not creating a card for a new word, you can write it
down somewhere or bookmark the dictionary entry, and leave it for later.

Thanks smallwhite,

That's a good idea worth at least trying, cheers :)

PM

On a side note, can I ask your thoughts on reading vs courses? I began using courses
HEAVILY and then moved to a mixture of half intensive (course) study and half
extensive (reading/ subtitle reading in L2/ watching with L2 as main audio)... I have
read that you need extensive coverage to readlly come across enough words enough
times, but if doing only intensive courseswork with SRS as well you're not too likely
to need that extensive coverage by reading are you not?

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3335 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 333 of 350
31 May 2015 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
It just seems to me the SRS is a pain, it always has been for me, but i
ironically like the idea of having an inventory of terms i've already learned/come
across and should know. Perhaps providing multiple examples is simply overkill and
that's where my flaw is.

If SRS is a pain then don't do it. Some people seem to think its the best thing since sliced bread but in my experience it's only slightly better than a list of words.

I always begin by typing my words in an Excel sheet and set this sheet up to warn me if I enter a duplicate. Enter them in the order that they come up in the book.

tu
vous
bonjour
comment t'appelles tu

Don't enter any other information at first. By the time you get to the end of the book, go back through the list and see which words you *actually* have to learn. If this material is a lesson book, and if the language is similar to one you know already (French and English share lots of vocabulary so this counts as "similar"), I estimate 70-80% will be "known" to you already from your day-to-day readings of the lesson book. I.e., you've got no more work to do to "learn" those items! If you want you can import them into your SRS program for tracking purposes and mark them off as "learned" or whatever.

Edited by chaotic_thought on 31 May 2015 at 11:29am

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5269 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 334 of 350
31 May 2015 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
chaotic_thought wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
It just seems to me the SRS is a
pain, it always has been for me, but i
that's where my flaw is.

If SRS is a pain then don't do it. Some people seem to think its the best thing since
sliced bread but in my experience it's only slightly better than a list of words.

I always begin by typing my words in an Excel sheet and set this sheet up to warn me
if I enter a duplicate. Enter them in the order that they come up in the book.

tu
vous
bonjour
comment t'appelles tu

Don't enter any other information at first. By the time you get to the end of the
book, go back through the list and see which words you *actually* have to learn. If
this material is a lesson book, and if the language is similar to one you know already
(French and English share lots of vocabulary so this counts as "similar"), I estimate
70-80% will be "known" to you already from your day-to-day readings of the lesson
book. I.e., you've got no more work to do to "learn" those items! If you want you can
import them into your SRS program for tracking purposes and mark them off as "learned"
or whatever.

As much as they are a pain (SRS) I won't drop them, because it's very good for
exposure to words you want to learn but may not come across very frequently, and still
good for the rest. I just find it dry and fiddly. I'm working on the fiddly and trying
to spice up the dry side of things too. I'm experimenting with Anki a little. It seems
like a good program but why not a side 3? There's a few other options lacking that
Flashcards Deluxe does have but Anki has some things FCD doesn't. It's a little like
the Beta/VHS thing if you're old enough to have been around. Beta was better but VHS
is what took off. Nearly everyone seems to be using Anki on HTLAL but i'm still not
convinced. Then again I'm not the most intelligent here by a long shot so my opinion
may be worth squat. And of course i'm biased so maybe i'm wrong on the FC preference
thing. One reason I like FCD is ironically I believe it's more efficient to use than
Anki.

Some good ideas there chaotic_thought, I'll keep them in mind in my experiments...
cheers

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 335 of 350
03 June 2015 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
As much as they are a pain (SRS) I won't drop them, because it's very good for exposure to words you want to learn but may not come across very frequently, and still good for the rest. I just find it dry and fiddly. I'm working on the fiddly and trying to spice up the dry side of things too. I'm experimenting with Anki a little. It seems like a good program but why not a side 3?

Then maybe do less courses and more native materials? ;)

Anki can have as many sides as you want, just edit the note template.

Edited by Serpent on 03 June 2015 at 2:48am

4 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5269 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 336 of 350
03 June 2015 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
As much as they are a pain (SRS) I won't drop them,
because it's very good for exposure to words you want to learn but may not come across very frequently, and
still good for the rest. I just find it dry and fiddly. I'm working on the fiddly and trying to spice up the dry side of
things too. I'm experimenting with Anki a little. It seems like a good program but why not a side 3?

Then maybe do less courses and more native materials? ;)

Anki can have as many sides as you want, just edit the note template.

Not intending to be rude... but... you're kinda wasting your time on me Serpent. it's rare that I follow advice on
this forum it seems. I'm as stubborn as a mule and if I can't get through to me no-one else will. I like to think
I'm open-minded but I think i'm on some kind of insane course mission as my log title suggests. Good
thing I'm insane myself or I wouldn't cope. As for Anki... pfft can't be bothered right now. FCD is working well
for me again.... until my next complaint when I beg everyone for a solution and everyone turns a blind eye to
my suffering as I die clutching my courses and my mobile phone.

I must be one of the most rediculous learners on this forum I think. Mind you at least I'm still learning day in
day out. Fact is, I revel in my own rediculousness. Maybe I'm attention seeking? Aren't we all in some
respects. Anyway FCD has a deck option in which you simply turn on a setting and all your cards will show
up in both directions. I think i'm just used to FCD, but for anyone who uses it, they are usually very
impressed, so if there's any rival for Anki I think this is it but it's just not as well known. One thing I like with
Anki, which is more of a workaround with the options it has, and I have not used is the subs to srs stuff that
emk was using. Not sure i'll ever use it tho, as i am by 2015 standards almost computer illiterate and feel
attempting sth like that for me would waste more time than it's worth and I've done far too much of that in the
past (by means of procrastination). FCD on the other hand is great for entering cards directly into the app on
the go, or like me at my desk with a keyboard linked to my phone.

Where's my bloody foot at? Know what I'm sayin?

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 03 June 2015 at 4:01am

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version