Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4326 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 209 of 350
19 May 2015 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

Now, the interesting thing is that I the learner will certainly be learning vocabulary every day. As I explore the
language I'll certainly may be learning 15 words of Polish a day. But I'm learning them organically, as I learn the
language. Why try to learn things randomly in the hope that I'll meet them some day?

I basically agree. I can see the point of learning 2000-3000 words to get a foot up in accessing native materials, but at a certain point you are better off learning words in context. And Jeffers and S_allard is absolutely right that you learn the meaning of the word from it's use.

Today as I was walking with my wife I said in German that I was gradually/slowly getting hungry. Now I could have used allmählich=gradually or langsam=slow in the sentence. Which is correct? Which sounds painfully formal? It's obvious to my ear which is correct and which sounds totally weird. I really wonder how those who use word lists to learn could tell the difference.

The point being that of course there are 1000s of these sorts of examples in any language that can only be learnt from using the language, not from studying it at one step removed.

Edited by patrickwilken on 19 May 2015 at 5:53pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4500 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 210 of 350
19 May 2015 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
You learn some words beforehand but you never have an entire overview of what you may
need. This means you win some, you lose some when it comes to vocab. Today I had to use
the word "speed skating" in Finnish and I had no idea what that word was (because my
Finnish is limited to I like potatoes because they are good). Should I learn this word?
Maybe not, it's a rare sport. But it is the national sport of my country and we won a
record-beating 23 medals in it at the last Olympics. So maybe I should know.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6702 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 211 of 350
19 May 2015 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
For example, do you learn a list of 100 French verb infinitives or
do you learn how to conjugate those 100 verbs? Or, as an alternative, do you learn to conjugate the verbs as you meet them?

One could as well learn the present tense pattern of an -er verb (e.g. parler), and then 100 verb infinitives. (Or even 94 if there was a limit of 100 entries...)

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5029 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 212 of 350
19 May 2015 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

rdearman wrote:
s_allard wrote:

I've never seen any of these words before. How should I use this list? How will memorizing this list help? Will
this give my Polish a boost? Should I learn a list like this every day?

Yes, it will help. Yes you should learn them.

This is the key point here. Learning lists of unknown words in advance will "make the activity smooth and
pleasant" because you don't need to look them up. This is certainly true if we mean "learning unknown words".
We're talking here about learning lists of words. For example, do you learn a list of 100 French verb infinitives or
do you learn how to conjugate those 100 verbs? Or, as an alternative, do you learn to conjugate the verbs as you
meet them?

I gave the example of a structured approach used to approach the learning of Spanish vocabulary in a book I
mentioned above. This I think can work well. If something like this were available in Polish, I would certainly go
for it.

On the other hand, the idea of leaning lists of words put together higgledy-piggledy just in case you come across
them is to me very inefficient.

Now, the interesting thing is that I the learner will certainly be learning vocabulary every day. As I explore the
language I'll certainly may be learning 15 words of Polish a day. But I'm learning them organically, as I learn the
language. Why try to learn things randomly in the hope that I'll meet them some day?

Why does it make a difference if you learn words higgledy-piggledy, organically, from lists or from books as long as you learn them? The point I keep coming back to is efficiency, the accomplishment of or ability to accomplish a job with a minimum expenditure of time and effort. You might have time to wander around hoping to learn words organically (aka inefficiently) but I don't have time for that crap. I need to get up to speed in the shortest time possible. So you meander around aimlessly learning 15 words a day, and I'll zip through my 500 words per day list.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4326 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 213 of 350
19 May 2015 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:

Why does it make a difference if you learn words higgledy-piggledy, organically, from lists or from books as long as you learn them? The point I keep coming back to is efficiency, the accomplishment of or ability to accomplish a job with a minimum expenditure of time and effort.

Can you tell me how you are learning shades of meanings from words from word lists?

I used to work as in graduate admissions for a university, and I remember seeing some really weird English essays from Asian students who had learnt 1000s of words using word lists. Their English was understandable in the same way a bad Google translation is. Which is probably not coincidental as Google has at least a good an ear as someone who has predominately learnt via word lists. It's perhaps a great starting point, but it's not fluent language use.

I am not denying that learning the APPROXIMATE meanings of 1000s of words is useful. It may save you time looking them up in a dictionary (though with Kindle the time saving is probably marginal), but it won't teach you how to use the words in proper context.

I get that for a lot of people that's probably not an aim. Getting to B2 is great, and if you want to add lots of languages at a B2 level to your resume that's fine and it's fine to do a language at a Google translate level, but if you want to go further you need to use native materials. But surely we aren't arguing about that are we?

Edited by patrickwilken on 19 May 2015 at 6:18pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4142 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 214 of 350
19 May 2015 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Can you tell me how you are learning shades of meanings from words from
word lists?

Step 1.: Learn enough vocab to make compelling input comprehensible.
Step 2.: Consume the input.

EDIT:Think of it this way: You're at point A, and want to get to point B. The shortest way
between two points is a straight line. But there's a mountain in the way. Going around the
mountain may not be moving straight in the direction of your destination, but should be easier
than climbing a big-posterior mountain, if you'll pardon my French.

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 19 May 2015 at 6:22pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4326 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 215 of 350
19 May 2015 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Ezy Ryder wrote:
patrickwilken wrote:
Can you tell me how you are learning shades of meanings from words from
word lists?

Step 1.: Learn enough vocab to make compelling input comprehensible.
Step 2.: Consume the input.

Right so you consume native materials to get the shades of meaning.

I think it's often more efficient to use a pop-up dictionary if your aim is simply to have an approximate definition for a word pop-up in your L1 in your head, which is what you'll get when you use word lists.

Edited by patrickwilken on 19 May 2015 at 6:22pm

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4142 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 216 of 350
19 May 2015 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
I think it's often more efficient to use a pop-up dictionary if your aim
is simply to have an approximate definition for a word pop-up in your L1 in your head, which
is what you'll get when you use word lists.

Not really. I find I end up with an English (technically not my L1, but still :) ) definition
in my head only when I have nearly forgotten the word, and need to resort to the mnemonic I
used to memorize it. And when I remember a word better, I don't translate it in my mind
(unless I cannot understand a sentence otherwise).

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version