Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5101 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 89 of 350
15 May 2015 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
HTLAL is about the overall efficiency, not the specific kind of vocab efficiency. Why are you assuming that everyone's way to be more efficient is the same? I'm pretty much the opposite of you, for me learning the vocab actively is a waste of time because with enough input I'll know the words anyway. And we all need input regardless of what else we do. I acknowledge that my method isn't the best for those who want or need to speak asap (although usually this need only applies to one language)

If you don't want to SRS, or you're not learning to produce output like I am, then of course my calculations do not apply to you, are totally irrelevant to you, and you and I cannot be compared. If you're not doing what I'm doing, why are you even comparing your work with mine, your efficiency with mine??

Serpent wrote:
It's doable with the common Spanish and German words. This doesn't mean you can do any other set of cards and it'll work.

The very first sentence I wrote on this thread was:

smallwhite wrote:
I think it depends a lot on the language. My target languages (French, Spanish, Italian, German) are very similar to English and to each other, such that...

I know to add disclaimers now, but I can't repeat every background info in every post...?
2 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4314 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 90 of 350
15 May 2015 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
daegga wrote:
This basically means setting a timeout for answering cards, right? Either you are disciplined enough that you count the card as failed when you don't immediately know the answer, or you would modify Anki et al. to automatically fail the card after say 4 seconds.

I don't use Anki, I use an Excel file similar to the one rdearman posted in message 81. 2 sec/card was an average I got by timing myself. It's what happened, not what I aim to do.

I understood that.

Let me rephrase. So this 2 seconds is the average amount of time you spent on a card. The average is rather sensitive to outliers. And you previously reported that you fail cards occasionally, although your error rate is quite low. When I fail a card, this is usually preceeded by a rather large amount of time trying to figure out the meaning of the word (I'm usually plagued by the tip-of-the-tongue syndrome, so I keep thinking instead of giving up), but even I have an implicit upper limit where I will give up and just fail the card. How long do you think is this maximum time you are willing to spend on a card if you don't immediately know the answer? Or rather, what is the longest time you spent on a single repetition with your system (I'm aware that this will just be a guessing)? This is what I meant with the timeout.

Edited by daegga on 15 May 2015 at 8:02pm

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5101 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 

Message 91 of 350
15 May 2015 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

If you type a word, you're more likely to remember the spelling.
If you pronounce it aloud, you're more likely to pronounce it correctly and use it in speech.
If you think of the gender, you're less likely to make gender mistakes.

How many of these can be done in 2 sec?

I type. (Or else it'd take even less than 2 seconds).
Never thought about pronouncing out loud, I'll try that. Right now I pronounce in my head, as I type.
I type the gender as well. "der Wind", "la rose".

I guess I do 2.5 of those 3 because the pronunciation is just in my head.

If I'm at my computer, sometimes I'd have the radio on at the back. Especially when there's a large backlog of easy cards to be done.

In my first Italian deck I didn't put in the gender, but it felt really weird and I kept typing it in, because all my other decks have it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4142 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 92 of 350
15 May 2015 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Think of it this way: when you're listening, you have less than half a second per word on
average.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5101 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 

Message 93 of 350
15 May 2015 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
How long do you think is this maximum time you are willing to spend on a card if you don't immediately know the answer? Or rather, what is the longest time you spent on a single repetition with your system (I'm aware that this will just be a guessing)? This is what I meant with the timeout.

I don't mean to rush through my reps as fast as possible. I just do it at a comfortable speed, and that speed happens to be 2s/rep. So, I don't have a concept of "max time I'm willing to invest". But in any case, I don't seem to get much tip-of-the-tongue problem. Usually I (1) have no idea at all, or I (2) confidently type in a wrong answer and then have no idea what else to try. Maybe I've gotten used to the rythym. So I give up quickly on a card.

Note, though, I believe that it's better to design methods based on concrete goals, principles, believes and whatnot. I believe that revision-by-answering-questions is effective, but I know that revision-by-looking-directly-at-the-answer does work, too. I don't feel obliged to do all my revision and every one of my cards by answering questions. If I fail a card, I look at the answer, and that's a form of revision, too. So I don't sweat it.

Edited by smallwhite on 15 May 2015 at 8:22pm

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5101 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 

Message 94 of 350
15 May 2015 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
Ezy Ryder wrote:
Think of it this way: when you're listening, you have less than half a second per word on average.

I rely on other tools to practise listening, but I did drill a list of words once: in preparation for the exam, I had the computer read random numbers to me, one after another, and I had to try to understand them. It was torture, LOL, but did work.

Edited by smallwhite on 15 May 2015 at 8:31pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 95 of 350
15 May 2015 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:

I mean 8000 cards. It's up to you whether you want to do 8000 different lemmas(?) or 8000 versions of the one word "llegar".
tl;dr Those figures I gave were just a quantification of the standard Memrise/Anki routines. If I asked you to quantify how much time it takes to SRS, you'd have come up with the same figures.
4 seconds x ( 6 initial reps + 9 review reps ) x 8000 cards / 365 days = 22 minutes per day answering cards

To me this is where it turned into overgeneralization. Even if we limit it to Spanish, you still can't do just any 8000 cards. I doubt it's doable/useful for a non-beginner, for example. And I personally believe that a beginner who already knows French can pick 3000 relatively hard Spanish words out of your 8000 and get the rest through input.

Also, I think you're facing so much incredulity because you appear to ignore the usual "add only a small number of words per day" guideline. How do you avoid having to answer more and more cards every day?

And I guess standard Anki/Memrise routine kinda makes it sound like lots of users of these systems do 8000+ single-word cards per year. Maybe our reality just differs here.

(I produce output too, I just don't rush it. And I do some minimal SRS based on completely different principles)

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5101 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 

Message 96 of 350
15 May 2015 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

To me this is where it turned into overgeneralization. Even if we limit it to Spanish, you still can't do just any 8000 cards. I doubt it's doable/useful for a non-beginner, for example. And I personally believe that a beginner who already knows French can pick 3000 relatively hard Spanish words out of your 8000 and get the rest through input.

And I guess standard Anki/Memrise routine kinda makes it sound like lots of users of these systems do 8000+ single-word cards per year. Maybe our reality just differs here.

(I produce output too, I just don't rush it. And I do some minimal SRS based on completely different principles)

I knew this gap between you and I would never close. That's why I asked you to simply tell me what you prefer to see from me.

Serpent wrote:

Also, I think you're facing so much incredulity because you appear to ignore the usual "add only a small number of words per day" guideline. How do you avoid having to answer more and more cards every day?

I don't think that's the reason, but anyway, how do I handle the piling up. Well, ask that Swedish guy, he did more cards in less than half my time. Or read his posts, it says the minutes.

I don't know how I handled. I worked when I wanted to, and didn't work when I didn't want to. This Forgetting Curve thing and this Multiplier / Interval thing is just based on statistics. They're averages. They are not exact predictors of what and when you will forget. Doing a rep doesn't guarantee remembering, and missing a rep doesn't guarantee forgetting. I don't sweat it. I don't sweat anything about my cards.

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version