rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5028 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 81 of 350
02 May 2015 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I must say that the method looks very organised, but the Excel thing is probably what is
the real challenge. It took me over a month to make a simple two-plot-line graph several
years ago for an assignment in university, and still do not know how to make entries for
a distillation column. I still cannot do one-column entries in Excel, so I am impressed
by what I see here.

I have done an excel spreadsheet which is loosely based on smallwhites method. I tried to put it on google drive but it kept messing up the conditional formating. So if you want to download it and have a go it is here: Vocabulary.xlsx
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5028 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 82 of 350
02 May 2015 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
smallwhite wrote:
rdearman wrote:
O M G !!!!!!

L O L !!!!!!

rdearman wrote:
How do you figure out the stroke order though?

Only teachers care about stroke order. Real people write in all sorts of stroke order. The only rules we remember from school are:
* stroke directions (up to down, left to write) (no one writes hyphens from right to left)
* to start a character top-left-ish and to end it bottom-right-ish. This is often open to interpretation, and real people improvise.

That's for Chinese. Japanese stroke order I did look at it a bit, didn't think I'd be able to remember it, didn't want to mess up my vague memory of Chinese stroke order, so I don't worry about it. I have good and neat Chinese handwriting so that's good enough.

rdearman wrote:
And what fonts; are there handwriting fonts for Chinese?

There are handwriting fonts, I've seen them on posters and CD covers, but I wasn't able to get hold of them. So I just use MS Gothic or something similar, because it's neat and quite life-like. Something like Trebuchet or Microsoft Sans Serif for English; like Arial but fatter and smoother.

I actually print pale red words instead of pale grey, because my HP printer uses 3-colour-in-1 ink boxes, and there's always red ink left over. All my notes are in pink, too, LOL.

Oh, and do do both: tracing over pre-printed words, and writing them out yourself. They're 2 different learning techniques in Chinese calligraphy. The former is called 摹, the latter 临. Tracing (摹) works better and is actually easier, so there's no reason to torture yourself 临ing in the beginning.

That is really good advice. I made myself a couple of sheets today, and it occurred to me I should leave the last couple of grids in the row blank so I could write it freestyle. So it did occur to me to do both 摹 and 临 although I didn't know the names. ;-)

I have a black and white laser, so grey is good for me. I like writing on paper, it just seems to stick in the head a little more than ANKI. Thank you very much for two really useful ideas! I'll probably do the spreadsheet thing for a little while with the spreadsheets I created to import Chinese characters into ANKI, it will help me with my pinyin also, since I have to use that to get the character.

Anyway, thanks for some great tips on efficiency. If you have any more let us all know, lord knows I need all the help I can get!

Just in case anyone else wants an example spreadsheet, I've put a copy of my calligraphy spreadsheet here for download.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6389 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 83 of 350
15 May 2015 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Thought I'd reply here.

AlexTG wrote:
Well smallwhite you posted your study plan and rate of vocab learning in a thread called "How much time studying vocabulary?" where an experienced language learner asked "I am just wondering what other's vocabulary study plan looks like." If you can't post your success story there then something is really wrong with attitudes on this forum. We shouldn't have to post constant disclaimers about how different people have different learning strategies in advanced threads like that.

To me the difference is that the thread implied "what is your daily routine for vocab learning?" But as I said, I had no problem with your (smallwhite's) original post, only with the implication that this is doable with any single-word deck and that if you can't do a card every 2 sec you're not efficient enough. When you said "that's how SRS works, that's what all Memrisers and Ankiers are doing".

This doesn't mean that we don't want to hear about learners who are too successful. I'm sorry but it might be the opposite - that you are seen as focusing too much on wordcounting/SRS stats and making assumptions that aren't true for others. I never said you shouldn't speak of your experience, but since you keep asking how to be received better, let me just point out that many of your responses have been snarky and basically saying that everyone is inefficient if they can't (or don't want!) to learn 8000 isolated words in a few months. But you admitted it yourself that you eventually get sick of it and burned out. Nobody pressures you to change your method, though - just to be honest about its weak points.

edit:
Quote:
In fact, when I learned my first L2, French, I did not SRS. I felt that I knew many words. It was later that I tried SRS and fell in love, because it was so much more efficient. Now I know words solidly, I know their exact meanings, and I can spell them. I realised that previously with French, I didn't actually know the words; I only had a vague idea.

SRS is not the only way to achieve that. Scriptorium, lyricstraining or simply writing also do the trick. Reading (especially intensive or aloud) also helps a lot.

Edited by Serpent on 15 May 2015 at 7:30pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5100 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 84 of 350
15 May 2015 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
But you admited it yourself that you eventually get sick of it and burned out.

I did not say that. I probably mentioned these in separate posts, but what happened was the cards would become too easy and boring after about 3 months, and I'd stop. I also (used to) stop when I switch to learn another language. I think I also mentioned somewhere, that I grow out of cards really fast (ie. they become too easy for me really fast) because they allow me to read well, and when you read well you don't need to keep drilling the same cards for long. So, yes, I did say I stop when I get sick of a deck, but that's not because of burnout, but instead, because of good progress.

Serpent wrote:
When you said "that's how SRS works, that's what all Memrisers and Ankiers are doing".

That was in response to someone thinking my stats were specific to me, and I said no. 15 reps per year, card takes 6 seconds to flip, etc, were generic figures. I wasn't implying anything about ideal learning efficiency.

Serpent wrote:
the implication that this is doable with any single-word deck and that if you can't do a card every 2 sec you're not efficient enough.

Serpent wrote:
basically saying that everyone is inefficient if they can't (or don't want!) to learn 8000 words in a few months

Well, yes and no. If I say "I use Excel, it takes only 2 seconds, it's efficient", then, yes, in a way I'm also saying "apps that take more than 2 seconds to do the same thing are less efficient". If you have to rephrase it that way, then yes.

But if you are not after efficiency, if efficiency is not your top priority, you'll just have to accept the fact that there are other people on earth who are more efficient that you are, and you can't feel bad about not being the most efficient, no?

And yes, I do think it's *doable* at 2 sec/card like you wrote. Most people *choose* not to do it, but it is *doable*. And as far as I've seen, 2 sec is the most efficient, so anything more than that, including Memrise that I've been using since last year, is less efficient. [Don't know how to conclude this paragraph. You can do reps in 2 seconds each. You can buy apples at 2 dollars each. What's wrong with saying that?]

One thing I did say, though, directly or indirectly, is that while you may prefer to answer cards slowly (eg. 20 seconds each), for me it worked just as well to answer quickly (eg. 2 seconds each). Yes, I did say that. And that's exactly what I want to share. I want people to give it a go, try 2 secs instead of 20. You might end up with 2, you might end up with 10; either way you'll gain. Yes, I did share that. And that's a good thing, no...?

Edited by smallwhite on 15 May 2015 at 6:34pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4313 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 85 of 350
15 May 2015 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
This basically means setting a timeout for answering cards, right? Either you are disciplined enough that you count the card as failed when you don't immediately know the answer, or you would modify Anki et al. to automatically fail the card after say 4 seconds.

Edited by daegga on 15 May 2015 at 7:16pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6389 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 86 of 350
15 May 2015 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
But if you are not after efficiency, if efficiency is not your top priority, you'll just have to accept the fact that there are other people on earth who are more efficient that you are, and you can't feel bad about not being the most efficient, no?

HTLAL is about the overall efficiency, not the specific kind of vocab efficiency. Why are you assuming that everyone's way to be more efficient is the same? I'm pretty much the opposite of you, for me learning the vocab actively is a waste of time because with enough input I'll know the words anyway. And we all need input regardless of what else we do. I acknowledge that my method isn't the best for those who want or need to speak asap (although usually this need only applies to one language)

Quote:
And yes, I do think it's *doable* at 2 sec/card like you wrote. Most people *choose* not to do it, but it is *doable*.

It's doable with the common Spanish and German words. This doesn't mean you can do any other set of cards and it'll work. A real-life example: my friend, an experienced learner who speaks Russian, Ukrainian, English and German, tried to use Anki to drill Finnish and Greek vocab, with the plan of learning the grammar later. I didn't see her message immediately and when I replied 3-4 days later that it was a bad idea, she had already come to the same conclusion. But she was experienced enough to see that this didn't work.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5100 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 87 of 350
15 May 2015 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
This basically means setting a timeout for answering cards, right? Either you are disciplined enough that you count the card as failed when you don't immediately know the answer, or you would modify Anki et al. to automatically fail the card after say 4 seconds.

I don't use Anki, I use an Excel file similar to the one rdearman posted in message 81. 2 sec/card was an average I got by timing myself. It's what happened, not what I aim to do.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6389 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 88 of 350
15 May 2015 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
Will it IMPROVE MY LANGUAGE LEVEL? I think it will do so more than a 2-4 second rep of the card, during which time I can only confirm if I know or don't know the word.

How will it improve your language level? With 2-second reps, I remember that "noir" means black when I see it. With 30-second reps, I remember that "noir" means black when I see it. I don't see how the latter makes me more advanced?

Not all improvement is quantifiable and obvious. If you type a word, you're more likely to remember the spelling. If you pronounce it aloud, you're more likely to pronounce it correctly and use it in speech. If you think of the gender, you're less likely to make gender mistakes. How many of these can be done in 2 sec?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version