Joined 5029 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 217 of 350
19 May 2015 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
s_allard wrote:

Now, the interesting thing is that I the learner will certainly be learning vocabulary every day. As I explore the
language I'll certainly may be learning 15 words of Polish a day. But I'm learning them organically, as I learn the
language. Why try to learn things randomly in the hope that I'll meet them some day?

I basically agree. I can see the point of learning 2000-3000 words to get a foot up in accessing native materials, but at a certain point you are better off learning words in context. And Jeffers and S_allard is absolutely right that you learn the meaning of the word from it's use.

Today as I was walking with my wife I said in German that I was gradually/slowly getting hungry. Now I could have used allmählich=gradually or langsam=slow in the sentence. Which is correct? Which sounds painfully formal? It's obvious to my ear which is correct and which sounds totally weird. I really wonder how those who use word lists to learn could tell the difference.

The point being that of course there are 1000s of these sorts of examples in any language that can only be learnt from using the language, not from studying it at one step removed.

But you sir, are not a beginner. Like s_allard you continue to focus on adjectives and verbs. But as EMK so admirably showed in his analysis of French word frequency. that in French anyway 260 verbs will give you 90% coverage of most text. While the top 2000 nouns only get you 84% coverage of nouns in running text.

I would like to quote EMK who wrote in this thread: One thing really stands out here: Nouns are just brutal. They may only make up 15% of a typical text, but you need far more nouns than anything else. Seeing this, I'm actually prepared to believe that if you didn't count the nouns, you could construct a 250–500 word beginner vocabulary that would take you surprisingly far. But then you need to add over a thousand nouns to get any kind of reasonable coverage.

Nouns generally don't have "shades of meaning" like verbs or adjectives. Nouns generally tend to stand for a singular physical object. So I think it is something a beginner can concentrate on quickly and efficiently. In your sentence the noun, "hungry" didn't change. You could be gradually/quickly/unmistakeable getting/becoming/feeling hungry. But hungry didn't change.

Yes there are 1000's of those sorts of examples which you need to learn from using the language. But there are hundreds of thousands of names/nouns/etc which do not require nuances of context. The meaning of these words will not change, they are not nuanced, and they are rare, you're not going to see them in a typical English book, so you can learn them now in case it ever comes up.

dapifer
decastyle
decastich
epiploce
sciolist
scolion
epopt
wanion

1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4326 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 218 of 350
19 May 2015 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:

But you sir, are not a beginner. Like s_allard you continue to focus on adjectives and verbs. But as EMK so admirably showed in his analysis of French word frequency. that in French anyway 260 verbs will give you 90% coverage of most text. While the top 2000 nouns only get you 84% coverage of nouns in running text.

I just don't really get where we are going with this argument.

I agree that learning something like 2000-3000 words can give you a useful head-up to learning a language. And from the numbers you are quoting for EMK that's pretty much the range we are talking about isn't it?

I personally think it's a waste of time learning 8000 words up front before starting to read, but people are of course welcome to do that if it makes them happy. Everyone has their own path up the mountain.

I do disagree that nouns are brutal. I love nouns. I find them extremely easy to learn compared to adjectives/adverbs/verbs, whether you have word lists or if you see them embedded within text. Perhaps because it's easy to form a quick mental image of them. Yes there are a lot of them, but you pick them up pretty quickly whatever you do.

One problem I have with simple frequency lists that has been mentioned by others is that they are a fairly blunt instrument. Once you get past a certain point (say 2000-3000 words) all words are pretty rare. Word lists are completely dependent on the corpus they are derived from and I think are inappropriate for learners as they are too-broad/a-bad-match to the texts the learner is reading.

Compare an 8000-word-list vocabulary against an 8000-word vocabulary generated from reading. The 8000-vocabulary from word lists just contains the 8000 most common words from some general corpus (the one for German I saw was generated from newspapers). The 8000-word vocabulary I gained from reading books is really well matched for the sorts of texts I read. I know lots of words that are very lower frequency in the general corpus, but relatively common in the texts I read, and haven't wasted time learning lots of other words that are useless to me at my particular stage of learning.

Edited by patrickwilken on 19 May 2015 at 7:15pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5029 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 219 of 350
19 May 2015 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
rdearman wrote:

I just don't really get where we are going with this argument.

I agree that learning something like 2000-3000 words can give you a useful head-up to learning a language. And from the numbers you are quoting for EMK that's pretty much the range we are talking about isn't it?

I personally think it's a waste of time learning 8000 words up front before starting to read, but people are of course welcome to do that if it makes them happy. Everyone has their own path up the mountain.

I do disagree that nouns are brutal. I love nouns. I find them extremely easy to learn compared to adjectives/adverbs/verbs, whether you have word lists or if you see them embedded within text. Perhaps because it's easy to form a quick mental image of them. Yes there are a lot of them, but you pick them up pretty quickly whatever you do.

One problem I have with simple frequency lists that has been mentioned by others is that they are a fairly blunt instrument. Once you get past a certain point (say 2000-3000 words) all words are pretty rare. Word lists are completely dependent on the corpus they are derived from and I think are inappropriate for learners as they are too-broad/a-bad-match to the texts the learner is reading.

Compare an 8000-word-list vocabulary against an 8000-word vocabulary generated from reading. The 8000-vocabulary from word lists just contains the 8000 most common words from some general corpus (the one for German I saw was generated from newspapers). The 8000-word vocabulary I gained from reading books is really well matched for the sorts of texts I read. I know lots of words that are very lower frequency in the general corpus, but relatively common in the texts I read, and haven't wasted time learning lots of other words that are useless to me at my particular stage of learning.

I haven't said you need to learn 8000 words before you start reading. I think you should get a book on day one and start trying to read. In fact I have a Mandarin book and I've just struggled past the first 2 paragraphs. I said if you want to learn 8000 words, or 2000, or 150, or 10, it is more efficient to learn them from a list than from a book.

You're a native English speaker right? So if you want to increase your English vocabulary you can either read hundreds of books in the hope of catching the odd rare word (because for a native speaker reading a book it would be a very rare word you didn't passively know) or you can get some of those advanced vocabulary lists and learn the off. In fact most publishers encourage authors to publish books a BELOW an 8th grade reading level. So for beginners or very advanced students reading is suboptimal for learning unknown words.

Lets say Professor X has 200 books and he scans them in and parses all the words and generates a list of the 500 rarest words in this collection of books. He gives you all the books, and gives me the list of 500 words. He tells us in 2 weeks time he will test us both on the 500 rarest words in these books. Will you have read all 200 books in 14 days? Because I would have reviewed his list of words and looked up all the definitions 14 times before we both take his test. In addition if I have to then go back and read the books, I already know the definition of the rarest words in the books.

1 person has voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3335 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 220 of 350
19 May 2015 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
You might have time to wander around hoping to learn words organically (aka inefficiently) but I don't have time for that crap. I need to get up to speed in the shortest time possible. So you meander around aimlessly learning 15 words a day, and I'll zip through my 500 words per day list.

If you have an eidetic memory, or if you actively enjoy reading lists of 500 words, go right ahead and do that as part of your language training.

But complaining that "reading normal texts is slow" or taking the attitude that you can't wait in order to master 10000 vocabulary words or whatnot is not a helpful attitude for language learning in general. At the end of the day overall language skill is a process that must be improved through deliberate practice. The goal is not to learn words, it's to get good at the language. Learning words is a CONSEQUENCE of gaining language skill; learning lots of words is not the skill itself. For example, I forget words in my native language all the time and never found it to be problematic. That's what dictionaries and encyclopedias are for.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4142 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 221 of 350
19 May 2015 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
Do you mean to say memorizing words cannot cause your level to increase? Saying that learning
words is not the skill itself, is like saying the knowledge required to pass a driving license
exam is not the skill itself, and therefore you should acquire it while driving. Well, getting
tickets may make the rules you break easier to remember, I guess...

EDIT: I also disagree with the bit about language skill improvement requiring deliberate
practice. I have spent a negligible amount on my English the last seven years, yet I see it
improve (my accent, vocabulary, etc.).

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 19 May 2015 at 9:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5223 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 222 of 350
19 May 2015 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
So is this better? LOL.

HIS 他的
PHONE 電話
CAR 汽車
PICKLE 酸瓜
BOOK 書本
FRENCHMAN 法國人
IN 在
OR 或
OVER 超過
UNDER 之下
RANDOM 隨機
RADIO 收音機
DOG 狗
CAT 貓
HORSE 馬
CHICKEN 雞
PILLOW 枕頭
BOAT 船
OAR 船槳 I had no idea how to write this 2nd character and had to look up a dico LOL
GRASS 草
TREE 樹
LEAF 葉

I must thank our poster here because the addition of the chinese characters makes this list very useful. Here we
can see how a Chinese-speaking student could use this list by studying it diligently every day. Now, let's try to
read the first paragraph of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone after having learned all the words on this list:

Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say
that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. They were the last
people you'd expect to be involved in anything strange or mysterious,
because they just didn't hold with such nonsense.

One word, "in", from the list is in the first paragraph. I can't tell if the Chinese translation corresponds to the
English but let's assume that it does. So, for the time being, we can say we have memorized the other words for
nothing,

Let's try another text and see if we are luckier. Here is something from today's Guardian newspaper:

Some 40 years ago, in 1974, when I was a twentysomething from London, I made the move up north to Liverpool
8, an area of the city that was notorious for its poverty, planning blight and vandalism.

My future husband, David, was living there as a student. He was very concerned that, despite all that was being
written and photographed about the area, where tight-knit communities were being pulled apart by
redevelopment, its people were being forgotten.

In this second example, not one word from the list is in the text. I have memorized those words for nothing. Not
very efficient so far. But I do have 25 English words in my head that I may use some day.

Of course, it should be said that if one had a list of 2500 words or 5000 or 10000 there is a much better chance
that some words will be found in those samples. So, in order to read those samples with good text coverage,
one would be well advised to learn as many words as possible. Will knowing the 10000 most common words in
English be enough to cover both samples? Will I really be able to understand the samples with 10000 word pairs
in my head? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Memorizing a list that I described as higgledy-piggledy is no mean feat. There is no rime nor reason to this
sequence of words. A list of 10000 words like that would tax many a brain, certainly mine.

Now, some bright person might say: "Suppose we made a list of all the important words in each sample, wouldn't
that be useful? Learn these words and then breeze through the samples." Here I actually agree. Instead of
learning 10000 words, 8000 of which for nothing, we would work on just the 2000 that are actually used here.
Not at bad idea. We just have to find somebody who will do the work and provide us with that list.

Instead of all this here is what I would do. Actually, this is what I've done in every language and this what I'm
doing with Polish. I make vocabulary notes or lists as I go along, whether it's in notebooks or in Anki. From the
second sample, I make the following notes:
1. Some 40 years ago (I like the construction)
2. twentysomething (a way of saying around the age of 20)
3. I made the move up north (see how up is used here)
4. notorious (note the pejorative connotation compared to the French notoire)
5. planning blight (interesting word blight)
6. he was concerned that (note very different use of concerned from French concerné)
7. despite all that was being written and photographed (note construction with despite and verb form here "was
being written" when compared to French. May be a form of pseudo-passive. Must talk to tutor about this.)
8. tight-knit (interesting adjective formation here of adjective+-+past participle. Like "old-fashioned"?)
9. its people were being forgotten (note use of passive construction here and continuous verb form)

That's the beginning of my list that I'll add to as I keep reading. From time to time, I'll revisit this list to refresh
my memory or maybe make corrections or clarifications.

A key point here is that I'm not clogging up my brain with a lot of lexical litter in the vague hope that I will use
it some day. I call that vocabulary hoarding. "Keep it, you never know when it might come in handy."

I don't see the efficiency of wasting time memorizing useless stuff when that same time could be better spent
learning what needs to be learnt here and now.

Edited by s_allard on 20 May 2015 at 12:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3335 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 223 of 350
19 May 2015 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
A weakness of putting all your emphasis on frequency lists and vocabulary lists is that it ignores what words are actually needed to understand sentences. For example, I found the following sentence on Wikipedia:

Lupinus texensis, the Texas bluebonnet, is a species of lupine endemic to Texas.

This sentence actually contains 12 unique words. It turns out that I don't know the meaning of half of them:

LUPINUS
TEXENSIS
TEXAS
BLUEBONNET
LUPINE
ENDEMIC

Does the fact that I don't know 50% of the words in this sentence prevent me from understanding its meaning? Should I write down these 6 words on flashcards and study translations of these words into other languages in order to understand the meaning of the sentence?

This kind of "vocabulary = language" assumption totally ignores the function of words in real sentences. You have to consider what words you actually need to understand something. Let's see if we can figure out what these words mean just by an understanding of how the language works:

L--- t---, the T--- b---, is a species of l--- e--- to Texas.

First of all, notice that the unknown word TEXAS can be learned from context the first time it is seen, so we have already learned this word by the time it takes to reach the end of the sentence. But what IS a 'Texas'? How do I talk about a 'Texas' in my L1? You may ask yourself these questions, but the answers don't have any bearing on your ability to understand this sentence. Notice that we could replace 'Texas' with 'Rivendell' and it doesn't matter in the slightest.

(A), the (B), is a species of (C) ((D) to) Texas.

From this structure we can already detect from a basic understanding of how the language works that A and B are synonyms. Also, the new term B contains "Texas", so its name must be related to Texas (whatever that is!). In fact, we also know that we can replace it with a new symbol if we want without changing the meaning of the sentence:

(A), the Texas (B'), is a species of (C) ((D) to) Texas.

Because of the phrase "... is a species of (C)" we also know that A, B and B' are related to the new term C in a particular way. The phrase "...(D) to Texas" may require some guessing, because we haven't heard the verb "(D) to (PLACE-NAME)" before, but I'm confident that we are not far off in assuming that it means that the A and B terms are somehow located in whatever place that "T---" word refers to.

So at the end of this sentence, we have learned 50% of the words just by reading the sentence once. Do we know all of the words with "100% familiarity"?? No, but we don't need that. We just need to understand this sentence.

By the way, the above analysis is what I call "understanding a sentence" and it's what you are training to be able to do automatically.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5223 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 224 of 350
19 May 2015 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
Yes there are 1000's of those sorts of examples which you need to learn from using the language. But there are
hundreds of thousands of names/nouns/etc which do not require nuances of context. The meaning of these
words will not change, they are not nuanced, and they are rare, you're not going to see them in a typical English
book, so you can learn them now in case it ever comes up.

dapifer
decastyle
decastich
epiploce
sciolist
scolion
epopt
wanion

Am I reading this right? I can hardly believe my eyes. Are learners of English being encouraged to learn dapifer,
decastyle,
etc. "in case it (sic) ever comes up." If this is not tongue-in-cheek, I think there is no point debating
any more. I rest my case. This says it all.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version