Joined 5028 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 57 of 350
30 April 2015 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
shachak wrote:
smallwhite how do you use your excel file as an SRS?

You mean scheduling dates? That's semi-manual. Each row is one word (one card) and one cell contains the date I last answered this card, with another cell containing the due date for next time. So, before I answer a card that was due today (Apr20), it looks like this:

noir ... black ... adjective ... Apr15 ... Apr20
(last answered Apr15, due Apr20)
(interval 5 days)

After answering it today, I copy-n-paste formulas into the row, to make it look like this:
noir ... black ... adjective ... Apr20 ... Apr30
(last answered Apr20, due Apr30)
(interval now 10 days)

I think that's just the same as what Anki etc do, just that they do it behind the scenes and I do it right before my eyes.

I did a quick test of this system. I created a spreadsheet with 6 columns which are:
Column A: Date input Word
Column B: Next date to do: =IF(ISBLANK(F1),TODAY(),A1+5): If F1 is empty, then put today, otherwise 5 days from now.
Column C: Word to learn
Column D: Translation: I would hide this in the spreadsheet so I couldn't see the answers. But is that how SMALLWHITE does it????
Column D: Type of word, adj, noun, etc.
Column F: Type your answer here. There is conditional formatting on the cell, if it matches the word in Column D it is green, it it doesn't match it is red.

It is a fairly trivial example, but it seems a very effective method. If I were to put this on Google Docs then I could do it anywhere. Nice. It could use more work, but you could just copy the next due date on anything which you got wrong. Or do a mass copy of things which are wrong onto another sheet. I cannot remember how to do this at the moment, but I know it can be done.

2 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5100 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 58 of 350
30 April 2015 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:

Column C: Word to learn
Column D: Translation: I would hide this in the spreadsheet so I couldn't see the answers. But is that how SMALLWHITE does it????

You mean you would hide column C, the answer.

Smallwhite gives these cells a background colour same as the text colour, such that she cannot see the text even when it's right in front of her. When during her reps she does want to see the answer, she highlights the cell.

Sometimes she just pushes the column off the far left of the screen.

rdearman wrote:

Column F: Type your answer here. There is conditional formatting on the cell, if it matches the word in Column D it is green, it it doesn't match it is red.

Something easily glimpsable, yes, and maybe easily sortable as well.

If you do decide to use conditional background colour formatting, you don't really need to green it when the answer is correct. The red-on-error is enough, me thinks.

luke wrote:
smallwhite, you're trending on HTLAL. I appreciate your thoughtful and playful posts. You're helping me re-
evaluate my methods to improve efficiency. The rest of you are too, but smallwhite's trending.

That's good to hear :)

Edited by smallwhite on 30 April 2015 at 3:37am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6389 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 59 of 350
30 April 2015 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
Serpent wrote:
I mostly do sentence cards...
My problem with single-word cards is that they're boring...
The ones that let me feel the emotions of the original context again, and smile, giggle, sigh or whatever...

Maybe your sentence cards are more efficient, maybe my single-word cards are more efficient; we don't know until we test it.

Single-word cards are boring for me, too, but not knowing a language after one year of work, being forced to read kid's books, having the radio on but it's noise more than news, etc, is even more so.

I like to smile and giggle, too, but would prefer to smile about the next book in the next language, rather than keep smiling about the same sentence in the same language on the same card.

That's why I do this only with sentences I want to see again and again. My whole deck for all languages is less than 2000 cards. and this includes the suspended ones.

I think the main strength of your method is that after a year you have not only a great comprehension, but also a big active vocabulary and accurate grammar. I don't care about gaining these fast unless I'm going to L2 country soon. And let's face it, as a French speaker learning Spanish, you'd not be forced to read kids' books for a year anyway. (I also generally don't like them, apart from the Moomins and occasional other stuff)

I have no deadline and I'm my own boss in language learning. My way is clearly more efficient for me, and I don't expect it to be more efficient for everyone else.
3 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5100 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 

Message 60 of 350
30 April 2015 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
I suddenly remembered how it all started for me, why I wanted to answer cards lightning fast, in like 2 seconds. I do active/production cards, and I wanted the process to act as output practice, as preparation for speech. I gathered that if I could answer cards faster, I'd be able to speak faster, aka more fluently. If I could utter a word within 2 seconds of a prompt, a sentence of 10 words should take me no more than 20 seconds.

And it did work. I had done hardly any output practice before my first language exchange, 3.6 months into my Spanish journey, yet the first time I did it, I was already text-chatting smoothly (on Skype). I still remember clearly that I was typing at a constant speed, though it wasn't fast. Typing a 10-word response was pretty much like answering 10 cards for me, only that I didn't have to hit 'Enter' between each word.

I also noticed that when later I became able to speak, my words tended to come out at a constant speed, too (albeit slowly). Other learners I see in videos tend to speak in clusters with pauses in-between. I do the same in French which I didn't SRS. But I don't make significant pauses in Spanish.

So I wanted SRS to train my reflexes.

Edited by smallwhite on 30 April 2015 at 5:32am

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3334 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 61 of 350
30 April 2015 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
I don't know why the difference, but my SRS cards look like that yet most of them do remind me of the
storyline/context. Prepositions and adverbs maybe not always, but nouns and verbs certainly do.

I wonder what you prefer:
* that single word cards don't remind you of their original context, and you do sentence cards instead
or
* that single word cards do remind you of their context, and you do single word cards
? Which would you prefer in an ideal world?

Ideally you wouldn't have to review vocabulary at all using lists or flashcards. For example, here is a representation of a passage that I read recently which contained a new word X in my target language:

... .... .... .. ... ... .. .... X ... .. .. .... .... .... .. . .. ...
..... .... ...... .... ....... ..... .....

After I read that passage, I "knew" what word X means. I could put the word into my flashcard deck to make sure I don't forget it, but let's assume I don't do that. And let's assume that after 30 days, the knowledge of X has completely faded from my memory. In this situation it means exactly one of the following statements is true:

1. I'm not reading enough in my target language (If I had been reading enough, I should be encountering the important words over and over).

2. I am reading enough but word X just doesn't come up in normal reading (i.e. X ain't that important!)

s_allard wrote:
Finally, after some prodding, we are starting to get an idea of what some SRS lists actually look like. The issue
here seems to be whether a single-word card is preferable to sentence-type entry. The former seems void of the
context in which it is used but, as other posters have suggested, the context can be guessed or remembered.

This actually makes me think that the utility of the SRS is not so much in learning as in remembering. In other
words, it functions as a sort of tickler file that will prompt your memory. This I can agree with. As for actually
learning how to use productively, I don't see how single-word systems can work.

I wouldn't say that drilling single-word cards can't work, but when we talk about learning efficiency we have to also consider "effectiveness" and enjoyment at that. For example, when I read one text in my target language (20000 Meilen Onder Zee in Dutch translation), I believe I learned a lot of words from that, but most important is I had fun doing this activity. How much effort does it take? 30 hours: 15 hours to listen to the Dutch recording while reading the English translation and 15 more hours to re-listen while reading the Dutch text. I usually did ~1 hr per day on this, but sometimes more/less. So with this schedule you're done with 2 passes in one month.

Let's suppose that instead of spending those 30 hours listening to an interesting story with new words in it, that instead I spent 1 hour per day for a month in front of Anki drilling random words and their translations. Would I learn the same amount from doing it? How long would I be able to retain what I learned from this month of flashcard-drilling? Would flashcard drilling help me with my listening skills or grammar the way reading a well-written literary work would? Would drilling vocabuary flashcards for 1 hour per day be as enjoyable as reading a story for one hour per day? (You have to answer this on your own, but I think I know my answer).

3 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5100 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 

Message 62 of 350
30 April 2015 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
chaotic_thought wrote:
... And let's assume that after 30 days, the knowledge of X has completely faded from my memory. In this situation it means exactly one of the following statements is true:

1. I'm not reading enough in my target language...

I noticed this in many posts and it has been a mystery to me: why is READING a given? "I don't need SRS because I re-encounter words when I read" - what if I don't read?

Back when I learned French, I did read but not much, because I thought reading was a USE for a language, that one learns a language in order to read. Like how some people only use past exam papers as tests and never as learning tools. Nowadays, I see reading as a learning tool, but still I only read the bare necessary minumum, just as I don't use textbooks beyond what's really necessary.

What if we don't take reading as a given? To memorise vocab by SRS vs To memorise vocab by reading and hoping that words come up frequent enough (of course I'm biased ^^).

Edited by smallwhite on 30 April 2015 at 9:32am

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3334 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 63 of 350
30 April 2015 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:

I noticed this in many people's replies and it has been a mystery to me: why is READING a given? "I don't need SRS because I re-encounter words when I read" - what if I don't read?

I'm actually saying ideally that reading is SRS. When you read a word X on day 1, you know what it means. If you keep reading, you *should* encounter word X again within N days (notice that N naturally increases as the frequency of the word X decreases) After N days have passed, you'd almost forgotten about word X, but there it is again in your reading! That's what spaced repetition is all about.

By the way, if you don't like to read, then the same rule applies for whatever form of natural input you use. Radio, television, attending lectures/classes/tutoring sessions, talking with colleagues, passers-by, friends or whatever. If X doesn't ever come up in a natural setting after 30, 60, 90 days, then you can safely forget about it.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4141 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 64 of 350
30 April 2015 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I have no deadline and I'm my own boss in language learning.

I believe we all have a deadline. "Memento mori." Supposing I have enough time left to
learn a language to a satisfying level, even if I manage to get there a mere week earlier
than with some other approach, I do get one more week to enjoy the results. As long as I
don't burn out in the process, I guess...

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version