radiant-flux.net
Joined 4326 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 153 of 350
18 May 2015 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
patrickwilken wrote:
I think one reason this method is so much quicker than simply learning from word lists is that...

While I think that it's because you're doing recognition cards as opposed to production cards. The two aren't quite comparable. Do you have data for production cards?

Yes of course. Recognition is much easier than production. But being able to say "window = fenster" is not really much by way of real production either. I see SRS as a useful way of boosting your receptive language skills so you can tackle native materials. Overtime words you recognize become active. I think the best way to practice active skills is to actively produce output (speaking/writing).

What sort of data do you want? I have previously done 1000s of simple SRS cards like you do and have come to the conclusion that I was largely wasting my time. Or more accurately that it was a very inefficient way to learn.
2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4326 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 154 of 350
18 May 2015 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

Or, to put it a different way, the quality of language output of a native speaker is strongly correlated to the amount of reading they do. Language learners who have attained a high level in a language can benefit from the same thing.

And this goes all the way up. The only people I know who truly are fluent in English (the only language I can really judge) all are vorocious readers.

Perhaps you don't need to read a lot to get to B2, but I am certain there is no way to get to C2 without it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 155 of 350
18 May 2015 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
I'd like to mention that I think people who aim at learning just 1 or 2 skills of the language (eg. only reading and not speaking) cannot really be compared with those who aim at broad skills (let's take that to mean the big 4, reading writing listening speaking). Of course different goals call for different strategies, and with that different evaluation critieria and thus different conclusions. If we compare the two, we're really comparing what's needed to read vs what's needed to speak; that's worse than comparing apples with oranges.

Whom do you mean? I aim for all four skills too (in most languages). I know that Patrick is also interested in speaking - heck, he's in Berlin!
It's true that my initial goals are heavily focused on comprehension, but that's because I mostly travel to Finland, and because I've activated passive skills before and I know how to do this.

Besides, true C1 comprehension skills require at least B1-B2 production. To appreciate the style, you need to know not only the words that were used (like the 1743 in Alice), but also which common ones were avoided; which ways to say this or that thing are not the default ones.

Can you reply about the Chinese forum btw? Has anyone tried your method and what were the results?
1 person has voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3335 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 156 of 350
18 May 2015 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
It seems a lot of this discussion is narrowly focused on flash cards. You may call it SRS if you want to be clever about your repetition intervals but at the end of the day it is still just flash cards. Nothing wrong with them; I sometimes use flash cards and SRS software but these are not my favorite methods and I limit the time I'm using them to a very small amount (like 1%).

LWT was mentioned earlier which I find it a helpful tool for learning vocabulary using texts. You can highlight whatever parts you want and save them to your language list for study. But studying them separately is optional. If you prefer, you can just go on to read the next text.

A simple vocabulary tool I like to use is a word notebook - As an example, sometimes I listen to the news without a transcript and while it's playing I will enter the new words and expressions in my word notebook. Write a brief context in your notebook, put a translation if it helps (guess the translation if necessary but don't consult a dictionary until later). Reviewing the list later is totally optional. Whether or not I review, the act of making these notes still helps me to learn the vocabulary. Adapt this exercise to whatever form your input takes (watching TV, music, conversation, attending a lecture, attending business meetings, etc etc.).

For reading I don't need such a notebook because I can mark directly on the page that I'm reading from.

With such methods, it's not necessary to allocate specific time dedicated "on vocabulary" as the time is basically combined with whatever other exercises you're doing anyway (listening to news, reading a textbook, speaking in a meeting, conversing over coffee, etc.).

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3335 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 157 of 350
18 May 2015 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:

What sort of data do you want? I have previously done 1000s of simple SRS cards like you do and have come to the conclusion that I was largely wasting my time. Or more accurately that it was a very inefficient way to learn.

I don't "learn" from flash cards, rather I "review" from flash cards, but I looked at my "top 10 most missed words" (i.e. which words did I have to repeat the most) from an SRS deck I have been using for Dutch:

boterhammen / een plakje brood dat van een groter brood is gesneden
streken / regio
onmiddellijk / dadelijk; meteen
gematigd / niet erg warm en niet erg koud
kousen / sokken
merken / kleding van bekende ____
zacht / <> hard
opvangen / het glas viel van tafel, maar ik kon het nog net ____
kotelet / een stuk vlees van een varken
zich schamen / ik ____ voor mijn grote neus

The words are taken from a beginner's textbook and contains a total of 2196 words used in that book. In my card format I put the right-hand side on the front of the card (maybe with a little more context) and must type the left-hand side in the proper form (e.g. zich schamen should be typed as 'ik schaam me' due to the context). Looking at the above list I realize that most of the time I missed them because of spelling problems or typos (typing 'onmiddelijk' or 'gematigt' or something like that). The words themselves are not a problem though.

I won't say it's a waste of time though because I use timeboxing and see that my average time spent is 3 minutes per day on these lists. Still, flash cards are not very interesting. If I didn't have to type the words then I wouldn't even do it because it would be too boring, and I like having a simple pass/fail decision. If I didn't type the word correctly that means fail. Otherwise it means pass.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4326 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 158 of 350
18 May 2015 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

Whom do you mean? I aim for all four skills too (in most languages). I know that Patrick is also interested in speaking - heck, he's in Berlin!

Thanks! :)

Since I am an immigrant to Germany my aim is full fluency in German. So +C2.

For me it just seems much more efficient (since I know I'll have to spend many years on this goal) to work on getting to a point where you can access good quality input as soon as possible, then to work on output. My first aim was to get to a point where I could comfortably get lots of advanced input (i.e., comfortably read books; read good quality newspapers; watch movies for pleasure); to create a sort of virtuous circle of ever greater and more complex input and so continue to deepen my L2 language structures.

I am getting that point now (though it might take a year or two really consolidate things). Now I am here speaking is much much easier as well, even though I haven't paid much attention to it. Partly because I understand what people say pretty well, and also because I have picked up a lot of useful grammar along the way, so even if my own grammar is not perfect I can speak and importantly understand people. Once my speaking is a bit better I will start working on writing and mop up whatever grammar points remain.

Anyway if you simply want to get B2 as fast as possible it's probably not the right approach. I am already C1 range for listening and reading after all, but for really advanced skills it feels like an efficient approach for me.

Edited by patrickwilken on 18 May 2015 at 2:17pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5101 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 159 of 350
18 May 2015 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:

Data about how many production cards processed over a certain time. You said you could process 2000 recognition cards a month, and I'd like to know if you have similar data on production cards:

patrickwilken wrote:
Learning words via sentences allowed me to process about one book's worth of words (300 pages - +2000 cards) a month.

patrickwilken wrote:
I have previously done 1000s of simple SRS cards like you do and have come to the conclusion that I was largely wasting my time. Or more accurately that it was a very inefficient way to learn.

Do you mean simple production cards or recognition cards? If you mean simple recognition cards, I don't do them either. Did you zip through them or did you spend time with each card?

Serpent wrote:
smallwhite wrote:
I'd like to mention that I think people who aim at learning just 1 or 2 skills of the language (eg. only reading and not speaking) cannot really be compared with those who aim at broad skills (let's take that to mean the big 4, reading writing listening speaking).

Whom do you mean? I aim for all four skills too (in most languages)...

S_allard brought that up, but it doesn't have to be anybody. I mean when we compare methods and experiences we should compare ones that have the same aim (the aim can be narrow but in our case a broad aim makes better sense).

Serpent wrote:
Can you reply about the Chinese forum btw? Has anyone tried your method and what were the results?

I think you've misunderstood. You must be referring to this:

smallwhite wrote:
You see, I write similar things on another (Chinese) forum, and I've always received positive responses: fellow learners thanking me for the encouragement, forum moderators highlighting my posts and rewarding me with forum points, etc. That the same things are seen as discouraging here takes a little getting used to.

The subject matter was discouraging newbies and that's what I was referring to. I meant I write about adding 8k words in 4 mths, etc high bar stuff (and how I did them) and fellow learners thanked me blah blah blah. I meant I received positive responses there, and didn't expect that writing the same things here would generate negative responses.

Serpent wrote:
Has anyone tried your method...

Can you let me know what "my method" is, please?

Edited by smallwhite on 18 May 2015 at 3:47pm

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5101 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 160 of 350
18 May 2015 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
My first aim was to get to a point where I could comfortably get lots of advanced input (i.e., comfortably read books; read good quality newspapers; watch movies for pleasure); to create a sort of virtuous circle of ever greater and more complex input and so continue to deepen my L2 language structures.

You reminded me ;) You asked me in the poll thread what I could do with my 8k words, and I wrote a long message about my first 200 days. I asked you back what your first 200 days were like and was hoping to hear from you. Your aim above is exactly the same as mine so you're really the only person whom I can compare the efficiency of what I did against.

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version