350 messages over 44 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35 ... 43 44 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 273 of 350
24 May 2015 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Is there any information about these techniques online? This stuff for teachers looks interesting.
2 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4314 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 274 of 350
24 May 2015 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
You can find a short illustration here (in German):
https://www.uni-due.de/imperia/md/content/prodaz/interkompre hension20110412.pdf

Here you find a short online tutorial for Romance languages (the introduction is again in German):
http://www.eurocom.uni-frankfurt.de/siebe/7Siebe/BIN/start.h tm

In general, you need to search for German (Interkomprehension) and French (intercompréhension) titles to find something substantial.

But the researchers want you to buy their books, eg. this one:
http://www.amazon.de/EuroComRom-sieben-Romanische-Sprachen-s ofort/dp/3826569474

Look at your university library, maybe you have luck.

In a less academic and more intuitive form we have seen similar approaches already in the middle of last century though, Madrigal for example.

edit:
There is usually the assumption that you have a teacher (who has studied intercomprehension techniques him-/herself) providing you with the right material for these techniques. Not very practical I'm afraid. But the principles make sense if you can find a way to use them on your own. In other words: don't try to follow the precise steps, it's probably futile.

Edited by daegga on 24 May 2015 at 7:27pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 275 of 350
24 May 2015 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
(I'm not a university student anymore, and even if I was there would be zero chance to get this kind of stuff from a library here, but thanks for the links and suggestions :)))

edit: yeah, as a linguist I'm familiar with this kind of stuff, but this was a nice read, thanks!
For the Romance languages there's also The Seven Sieves book (not sure which one was the first), and books for specific languages like "Spanish vocabulary: an etymological approach" (it has examples from Latin and modern Romance languages too).

Edited by Serpent on 24 May 2015 at 10:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5223 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 276 of 350
25 May 2015 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Are vocabulary problems really vocabulary problems? This question came to my mind after reading that a poster
was having difficulties reading a novel in German because of vocabulary. Undoubtedly, problems of reading
comprehension present themselves as problems of unknown words. We are reading a sentence and suddenly we
come across a word that we don't recognize. Therefore we head for the dictionary. In this sense, vocabulary
problems are real.

On the other hand, we know that the meaning of a word depends heavily or entirely on the context, especially
when the word has some morphological adaptation according to agreement rules. A dictionary definition is
generic and has to be applied to the concrete situation in front of our eyes. A good dictionary will have enough
examples for us to find something that fits our situation.

In essence the real meaning depends on what comes before and after the unknown word. This is particularly
important with idioms and collocations. It also means that the word itself may not be all that important for
understanding the entire sentence, as the following post underscores:

chaotic_thought wrote:
A weakness of putting all your emphasis on frequency lists and vocabulary lists is that
it ignores what words are actually needed to understand sentences. For example, I found the following
sentence on Wikipedia:

Lupinus texensis, the Texas bluebonnet, is a species of lupine endemic to Texas.

This sentence actually contains 12 unique words. It turns out that I don't know the meaning of half of them:

LUPINUS
TEXENSIS
TEXAS
BLUEBONNET
LUPINE
ENDEMIC

Does the fact that I don't know 50% of the words in this sentence prevent me from understanding its meaning?
Should I write down these 6 words on flashcards and study translations of these words into other languages in
order to understand the meaning of the sentence?

This kind of "vocabulary = language" assumption totally ignores the function of words in real sentences. You
have to consider what words you actually need to understand something. Let's see if we can figure out what
these words mean just by an understanding of how the language works:

L--- t---, the T--- b---, is a species of l--- e--- to Texas.

First of all, notice that the unknown word TEXAS can be learned from context the first time it is seen, so we have
already learned this word by the time it takes to reach the end of the sentence. But what IS a 'Texas'? How do I
talk about a 'Texas' in my L1? You may ask yourself these questions, but the answers don't have any bearing on
your ability to understand this sentence. Notice that we could replace 'Texas' with 'Rivendell' and it doesn't matter
in the slightest.

(A), the (B), is a species of (C) ((D) to) Texas.

From this structure we can already detect from a basic understanding of how the language works that A and B are
synonyms. Also, the new term B contains "Texas", so its name must be related to Texas (whatever that is!). In
fact, we also know that we can replace it with a new symbol if we want without changing the meaning of the
sentence:

(A), the Texas (B'), is a species of (C) ((D) to) Texas.

Because of the phrase "... is a species of (C)" we also know that A, B and B' are related to the new term C in a
particular way. The phrase "...(D) to Texas" may require some guessing, because we haven't heard the verb "(D) to
(PLACE-NAME)" before, but I'm confident that we are not far off in assuming that it means that the A and B terms
are somehow located in whatever place that "T---" word refers to.

So at the end of this sentence, we have learned 50% of the words just by reading the sentence once. Do we know
all of the words with "100% familiarity"?? No, but we don't need that. We just need to understand this sentence.

By the way, the above analysis is what I call "understanding a sentence" and it's what you are training to be able
to do automatically.

This brings into question the concept of "learning" words from lists where the definitions consist most of the
time of one word, supposedly the principal or main meaning. I believe that such lists can be very useful as
mnemonic tools to keep the words in memory but for primary learning I am very skeptical. All the more so when
we are talking about huge numbers of words and spending only seconds on individual words.

I know that wordlists are to be used only as one element of a general strategy but the thought of trying to learn
thousands of words in no particular order, with the slightest of definitions and no guide to usage is mind-
boggling. I looked at some the frequency lists available on Net for languages I'm interested in. For example, I
had a look at a 5000-word Polish list and found the following ten words at the very end:

zostawisz, nisko, chleb, wyjaśnia, ooh, dzielić, dotrzemy, diabeł, ćwiczenia, użył

There's no translation of course, but I can't see the point of just trying to memorize 50 words like these every day
for months.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6496 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 277 of 350
25 May 2015 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
The point is that you don't learn those 50 words from a frequency list without translations, and you don't just memorize them - maybe they come from a source (hopefully a comprehensible source), and even if they don't you can also try to use connections to other words or associations based on their sound to make them more memo(iz)rable. The meaning of a word has always reminded me of a brain cell with its myriad of neurons that connect it with other braincells, which in the analogy becomes words and things that aren't words.

The point of wordlists is to combine a certain amount of repetition with opportunities to build such 'neuronal networks' without the temptation to read or listening solely for content, and my personal experince is that I do this more efficiently when I don't waste my time on looking words and expression up all over my dictionaries. But I need to know a fairly number of words already to be able to form the linguistic associations, and it also takes some training to see possible associations based on sound.

Actually only the 'grammatical words' and a few other high frequency words and expressions are necessary to form the active framework of your language - and if we look at chaotic_thought's sentence ("Lupinus texensis, the Texas bluebonnet, is a species of lupine endemic to Texas") then only "the", "is" and "a" fall in that category. So the task of learning that basic wordstock (and learning to use it) is quite another thing than learning the 'rare' words. And it is clear that I wouldn't even try to memorize all words I see.

For instance I'm not a keen botanicist by any standard, but it does strike me that there are lupines in my mother's garden, and then there are apparently some blue ones in Texas. So if I remember the Texas bluebonnet and its Latin name it's solely because of this chain of associations, and any repetition involved in the memorization is only there to reinforce it.

The point of learning flower names from content-heavy sources Wikipedia or gardening manuals is that you get the words and ample information of the things they denote served on a silver platter in one single location, and you don't get that amount of information from a dictionary. So when I suck up words from a dictionary I only use those that refer to something I already know - learning foreign words for unknown or vaguely known notions is pointless.

I mentioned linguistic relationships and associations based on sound as important memory hooks (associations based on the context or situation where you first saw a word might form a third category, and it seems that I now have learnt "the Texas bluebonnet" through that venue).

To illustrate the linguistic associations you might notice that some of the Polish words are loanwords ("diabeł") or they occur in related languages ("chleb" meansr 'bread' in Polish and so does "хлеб" in Serbian). Others can be stripped of a prefix and the rest is known from other Polish words ("wyjaśnia" = 'explains' - "jaśny" means 'clear' so the whole word means something like 'making (out) clear' - please disregard the idiomatic use of English "making out").

When I spoke about wordlists in Berlin earlier this month I used an Assimil Albanais de Poche bought two days before as my source to explain the method, and this included the sentence "nuk e di" = 'ne-pas le sais' (I don't know). My very first soundbased association to this was "night and day" which means something totally different and has a different grammatical structure, but for some reason I find it easy to associate darkness with lack of knowledge (to be dispersed by the first rays of the sun) so I form a mental picture containing these elements and get the Albanian sentence as a phonetic attachment to the English phrase. For others this may not function at all, but then they might find an alternative that functions. The important thing is not whether the likeness in sound is overwhelming and even less whether it is complete. The important thing is that YOU invent a connection which permits you to use something wellknown to trigger a connection that leads directly to the foreign word or expression.   

Edited by Iversen on 25 May 2015 at 7:06pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4314 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 278 of 350
25 May 2015 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

This brings into question the concept of "learning" words from lists where the definitions consist most of the
time of one word, supposedly the principal or main meaning. I believe that such lists can be very useful as
mnemonic tools to keep the words in memory but for primary learning I am very skeptical. All the more so when
we are talking about huge numbers of words and spending only seconds on individual words.

I know that wordlists are to be used only as one element of a general strategy but the thought of trying to learn
thousands of words in no particular order, with the slightest of definitions and no guide to usage is mind-
boggling. I looked at some the frequency lists available on Net for languages I'm interested in. For example, I
had a look at a 5000-word Polish list and found the following ten words at the very end:

zostawisz, nisko, chleb, wyjaśnia, ooh, dzielić, dotrzemy, diabeł, ćwiczenia, użył

There's no translation of course, but I can't see the point of just trying to memorize 50 words like these every day
for months.

My impression from other threads concerning SRS is that those advocating SRSing frequency lists usually suggest making the cards yourself. The initial exposure and therewith the initial learning is thus provided by dictionary entries with example usage, images from google image search and example sentences from the net. Everything else is just review.

Edited by daegga on 25 May 2015 at 7:16pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 279 of 350
25 May 2015 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

There's no translation of course, but I can't see the point of just trying to memorize 50 words like these every day for months.  

I agree. Many are conjugated/declined forms, though. And unlike English or Spanish, the affixes are less obvious AND more elaborate. I'd say you need at least 500-700 Slavic roots, and then you can learn to mix them and add affixes, but generally it will feel like learning a separate word (unlike get vs get up).

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5223 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 280 of 350
25 May 2015 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
The point is that you don't learn those 50 words from a frequency list without translations, and
you don't just memorize them - maybe they come from a source (hopefully a comprehensible source), and even if
they don't you can also try to use connections to other words or associations based on their sound to make them
more memo(iz)rable. The meaning of a word has always reminded me of a brain cell with its myriad of neurons
that connect it with other braincells, which in the analogy becomes words and things that aren't words.
The point of learning flower names from content-heavy sources Wikipedia or gardening manuals is that you get
the words and ample information of the things they denote served on a silver platter in one single location, and
you don't get that amount of information from a dictionary. So when I suck up words from a dictionary I only use
those that refer to something I already know - learning foreign words for unknown or vaguely known notions is
pointless.

For me the key takeaway in iversen's excellent contribution here is "So when I suck up words from a dictionary I
only use those that refer to something I already know - learning foreign words for unknown or vaguely known
notions is pointless." If I am to interpret this phrase and the entire post correctly, the wordlist is not an arbitrary
list of words to be memorized but more an organized collection of meaningful words to be regularly reviewed.

Fair enough, I agree with this point, and I said as much. Wordlists as mnemonic tools are a good idea. And they
can make different forms. I actually use short thematic lists for things like the parts of the body, foods and
cooking.

But aren't some posters here talking about actually learning 8000 or 10000 general words at rates of 50 words or
more a day? Are we talking about the same thing?

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version