rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5029 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 297 of 350
27 May 2015 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

Thanks @Jeffers for preventing me from writing a nasty post and getting into trouble with the moderator. It is
with some satisfaction that I see the phrase "After getting a solid core..." being used. It may not be in the same
sense that I use those words but in essence the idea is that with a good foundation in the language you expand
in whatever direction you want to go.

I'm sorry if you felt anything I said was a personal attack, it wasn't intended to be. If you did feel this way then I apologise.
s_allard wrote:

I don't need to be lectured on the work of Paul Nation et al. I have referred to his works abundantly here and I
agree with most of it. Nowhere have I seen him recommending learning 10000 words from a list.

Sorry, I feel I must restate my position again because I don't seem to be making myself clear. I've never said anyone should learn a list of 10,000 words. But what I have said is that if you intend to learn 10,000 words it would be more efficient to learn them from a list, than to try and learn them via extensive reading.

s_allard wrote:

Nowhere does Nation suggest that learning a language consists of just learning 3000 words.

Nor have I.

s_allard wrote:

What he says is that, using whatever tools necessary - including wordlists and flashcards - , the learner should be guided to that
sweet spot of around the 3000 high-frequency words. What is also very clear in Nation's thinking is that
deliberate vocabulary learning must be associated with four activities or stands:

1     Meaning-focused input (learning through listening and reading)
2     Meaning-focused output (learning through speaking and writing)
3     Language-focused learning (deliberate study)
4     Fluency development (in listening, speaking, reading and writing)

Teaching Vocabulary

But that's not the current focus of the thread. What Jeffers has so rightly pointed out is that the current
discussion is about the systematic memorization of very large quantities of decontextualized words, e.e. 10000
words.

Sorry, I seem to have gotten the focus of the discussion wrong. I was under the impression that you were saying it is inefficient to learn words from a list. So I gave a number of references which showed scientific studies giving evidence to the contrary and to uphold my position that it is more efficient to learn vocabulary from a list. I was not discussing speaking, listening, grammar, writing or reading strategies. I'm just saying if you have a list of words in a second language and you want to learn them quickly, make a list, or SRS and memorise them.

This isn't an attack. I'm simply requesting if you have any studies which you can point me toward which shows evidence to the contrary of my position that it is more efficient to learn words from a list, SRS, flashcards, then please show me. I would be genuinely interested in reading them.

In fact one of the points in the papers I referenced did actually support a portion of your argument. They said (summarizing from memory here) that word pair lists are not as effective for longer term retention of meaning, as when the decontextualized methods are given limited context. Context could be, visual, auditory, or textual. So basically if you add pictures, sound or perhaps a sentence containing the word to your flashcards. EMK's subs2srs experiment was rich in contextual meaning because his cards had a frame from the film, the spoken dialogue and translation and the TL word in a TL sentence (the subtitle). So given these additional enhancements the retention would be of a similar quality as extensive reading, or other contextualized methods.

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 298 of 350
27 May 2015 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
Jeffers wrote:

My takeaway point from page 11 of the Nation & Waring article is that it is very efficient to learn the 3000 most common words in a language, even without context since those words are frequent enough that they should keep coming up. However, if learning high-frequency words is efficient, then it follows that as the words become less frequent it is less efficient to learn them out of context (e.g. from a list).

Errr... no that doesn't really follow. I think you have faulty logic here. The rate of learning from lists is faster than incidental learning regardless of word frequency. In fact it would actually work out the other way around. You'll encounter lower frequency words from say 3000-8000 range more often if you SRS them, than if you depend on a chance encounter in a book. If you're purposefully finding and studying these low frequency words, you'll efficiently learn them faster via a list because you'll encounter them more often.

If your goal is to learn X number of words, then of course it doesn't make a difference how frequent or infrequent those words are. But that's not the kind of efficiency Nation & Waring were writing about. Their argument is that it is efficient to learn frequent words because you will also use them a lot. So you learn a word which appears on every page, and you get a big payoff from the time you spent learning it. Learn a word which appears once every five pages and the payoff is a lot smaller. Learn a word which only appears once in a book and the payoff is even less. This is the meaning of "efficient" I was referring to. When it comes to the point of seeing a word more on your SRS study than you ever see it in reality, then it turns out to have been very inefficient (even if in hindsight).

If someone set their goal as wanting to learn 6000, 8000 or 20000 words, then I agree that cramming with SRS might be the most efficient way. But since most of us want more out of a language than knowing a lot of words, that efficiency might not be the most best way to advance your language in general. I realize you, rdearman, don't advocate learning vocabulary in isolation, but I'm just pointing out that efficiency in one area may have an effect in other areas. If my vocabulary aquisition method is inefficient, but it gives me other benefits, it may turn out to do more for me in terms of overall goals.
6 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5029 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 299 of 350
27 May 2015 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

If someone set their goal as wanting to learn 6000, 8000 or 20000 words, then I agree that cramming with SRS might be the most efficient way. But since most of us want more out of a language than knowing a lot of words, that efficiency might not be the most best way to advance your language in general. I realize you, rdearman, don't advocate learning vocabulary in isolation, but I'm just pointing out that efficiency in one area may have an effect in other areas. If my vocabulary aquisition method is inefficient, but it gives me other benefits, it may turn out to do more for me in terms of overall goals.

Oh I completely agree with that conclusion. For example you're never going to get more examples of real-life grammatical usage than through reading. Extensive reading will give you probably a hundred other benefits I've never even thought off. I absolutely agree that people should read, watch TV shows and generally jump into native materials as quickly as they can. But one of the benefits I can see with smallwhites method of learning vocabulary (using what are in effect production cards in a spreadsheet) is she is forced to produce output. So while there are hidden benefits to incidental learning through reading, there are also hidden benefits to doing vocabulary retention with production cards. The primary one being the use of words. I don't know about you, but my spelling even in English is abysmal, and the forced production of correctly spelt words is a great benefit.

I'm sure with a little thought we could both think of secondary benefits for both intentional vocabulary learning and incidental vocabulary learning. In fact the primary reason for the Output Challenge (shameless plug!) was because while I was seeing the benefits of extensive reading, I couldn't even write an email without looking up the spelling of every other word.

EDIT:
One thing I wanted to point out, but forgot was an example of an English speaker who wanted to move to France and continue in a medical career that person would do well to cram medical jargon via a list. Because in that instance they need to learn what is in effect a 1-2-1 mapping of word pairs like parts of the body, illnesses, medical technological jargon, etc. This isn't dissimilar to medical students who've posted tons of ANKI decks for other students. This example is more in line with what Nation and the others were talking about after the learner has a proficiency in the language. However I do understand that you are speaking of general usage words rather than specific topic vocabulary. Also my frustration with slow vocabulary acquisition is a personal frustration that I cannot read as fast in my target languages as I can in my native language.

Edited by rdearman on 27 May 2015 at 12:53am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 300 of 350
27 May 2015 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
Hmm medical vocabulary isn't that straightforward. There are a lot of usage peculiarities, especially if you include generic science words. (Russian lacks a good term for "generic" btw)

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5223 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 301 of 350
27 May 2015 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
Jeffers wrote:

My takeaway point from page 11 of the Nation & Waring article is that it is very efficient to learn the 3000 most
common words in a language, even without context since those words are frequent enough that they should keep
coming up. However, if learning high-frequency words is efficient, then it follows that as the words become less
frequent it is less efficient to learn them out of context (e.g. from a list).

Errr... no that doesn't really follow. I think you have faulty logic here. The rate of learning from lists is faster than
incidental learning regardless of word frequency. In fact it would actually work out the other way around. You'll
encounter lower frequency words from say 3000-8000 range more often if you SRS them, than if you depend on
a chance encounter in a book. If you're purposefully finding and studying these low frequency words, you'll
efficiently learn them faster via a list because you'll encounter them more often. I personally wouldn't consider
words in the 3000-5000 frequency range "rare", while they don't show up on every page of a book, they show up
often enough. I took some samples from the 3000-5000 range in French.
tuerai | kill
écouté | listen
bourse | scholarship
réaliser | achieve
jungle | jungle
aimable | friendly
guide | guide
rats | rats
prenne | takes
gâcher | spoil

I think you'd agree these aren't "rare" or obscure words. They might not come up all the time, but they are
frequent enough they are worth knowing.

My fundamental disagreement with this idea of memorization of large wordlists is about the nature of the so-
called learning. I have systematically used the term memorization because I believe that this is not actually
learning of the word i.e its meaning and its use. This is the result of decontextualization. Instead what we have
is committing the graphic form of the word to memory with some cue in the native language.

The examples taken from a French frequency list are a case in point. This is what I call a hodge-podge or a
jumble of words. What I mean is that there is no thematic of formal connection between the words. They're only
together because of statistical proximity. Although this is only a small snippet, I think a person learning French
would be absolutely crazy to try to memorize these words from such a list. I know that I'm using strong words
but I'll go into some detail as to why this is a very inefficient way to learn improve one's vocabulary.

We all agree that these are perfectly formed French words that one will encounter at some point if exposed long
enough to French. That's not the problem. The problem is what are you learning when to commit this form to
memory with the English cues given above.

I want to first emphasize that the French words in the list are not accompanied by definitions in English. Those
are not definitions; these are supposedly equivalents. They are not definitions. For example, bourse is translated
as "scholarship". But this doesn't tell us what scholarship is. Are we talking about prize money given to a
students or are we talking about a form of scholarly method. Only the context will tell us.

Let's look at some examples of the problems in this list:

1. tuerai. This is the first person future tense of the verb tuer. It is normally accompanied by the pronoun as in je
tuerai. The proper translation should be (I) will kill. The translation here "kills" is totally wrong. What about all
the other conjugated forms of tuer? One could argue that the first person future tuerai is a very common form. It
may be the case but in the spoken language particularly the futur proche is more common and formed with aller
+ tuer as in je vais tuer. But this will show up in frequency lists as distinct words and not as a future tense form.

If this list were lemmatized, the entry would appear as the infinitive "tuer" to kill. This is fine but again a similar
problem of no information about the multiple forms of this verb and how it is actually used. And we see nothing
about the morphological transformations into forms like tueur, tueuse, tuerie or the pronominal form se tuer.

2. écouté. This is the past participle of the verb écouter. The translation given is wrong; this is best translated as
"listened". This could be used as part of the conjugation of écouter. Or it could be used as an adjective. Only the
context will tell us.

3. bourse. Nouns should be less problematic than verbs. One problem here is the lack of the grammatical gender
marker la for la bourse. This is extremely important if one wants to use this word properly. This sort of list entry
is probably a partial explanation of why English-speakers have major problems with gender in French. The
gender is not learned with the word.

A second problem with this word is the various meanings. The translation "scholarship" covers one meaning but
it is not necessarily the most common or important. Other meanings are "the stock exchange", "a cash prize for a
competition", "a handbag, and "scholarly method". The only way to differentiate these meanings is by looking at
the context.

I'll stop here rather not make this post too long. The point here is that the so-called learning of the word is very
imperfect, superficial and above all misleading. It's more about learning. That said, I want to emphasize that
wordlists with or without translation can be useful for review and tracking. But that's a different issue.

Edited by s_allard on 27 May 2015 at 2:26pm

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3335 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 302 of 350
27 May 2015 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

We all agree that these are perfectly formed French words that one will encounter at some point if exposed long
enough to French. That's not the problem. The problem is what are you learning when to commit this form to
memory with the English cues given above.

To me, learning a word means encountering that word and then understanding it. For example, you may see the word tuerai in a text, on a radio broadcast, in a conversation, etc. Suppose that after consulting the above list, you are able to understand tuerai in the context in which you encountered it. Then that means you've just learned tuerai. You will probably have to learn a word multiple times before you've "learned" it.

The exact details of what you put in your word list (or if you have one at all) doesn't matter so much as long as you "get it." For example, you could write the word "tuerai" and then next to that, you could draw a stick figure of a man stabbing a woman with a knife. It doesn't matter as long as you understand the word as it was used.

Edited by chaotic_thought on 27 May 2015 at 8:32am

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4142 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 303 of 350
27 May 2015 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
That's why, for example, the definition on my card for 卡彈 says "to jam (rifle)." So that I
know it's a verb, and not something you buy in a grocery store, and it's not a form of usually
group improvisation among musicians. And you don't need to limit yourself to one definition/translation per word. Lastly:
Ezy Ryder wrote:
I may not know how to use each and every word I've memorized, in each and
every context; but that's not the point. I'll acquire that from extensive reading and
listening.

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 27 May 2015 at 2:48pm

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4326 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 304 of 350
27 May 2015 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

After spending about two hours on this whole thing, it's clear in my mind that the initial goal must be to get the
basic grammar up to speed. The big challenges are going to be grammatical gender, case declension, verb
conjugation and word order. Unsurprisingly, the first words on the frequency list are the many functional or
grammar words that are used all the time. And just a quick glance at the resources we've seen so far tells us that
some key verbs include haben, sein, wollen, machen, müssen, dürfen, kommen. These will have to be drilled to
death.

I am sorry but this is just wrong. There is no big, or even small, challenge associated either with grammatical gender or case declension when it comes to reading Harry Potter.

You also don't need to drill to death verbs like "haben, sein, wollen, machen, müssen, dürfen, kommen". You see these verbs all the time and you'll learn their more subtle meanings from constantly reading them (perhaps that's what you meant by drilling?).

I find your comment interesting, as you seem to approach reading in the same fashion as you would approach speaking, but the skills are very different.

You read Harry Potter for meaning (i.e., receptive skills) so why would the gender of words matter? If you want to write some Harry Potter fan fiction (productive skills), than you need to know the gender of words, but to read you don't need that. The same goes for case declension.

What does matter if you are reading HP is whether you understand what the SPECIFIC words the author uses means (some can be guessed from context but if you know less than <98% of the words in the text this gets difficult).

On the other hand if you are writing fan fiction you get to chose which words you use so of course the bigger stumbling block will be grammatical in nature.

For reading (and listening) you need a simplified grammar but an extensive vocabulary; for writing (and speaking) you need an extensive grammar, but can get by with a more limited vocabulary.

Edited by patrickwilken on 27 May 2015 at 11:12am

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version