Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Listening-Reading system

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
489 messages over 62 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 ... 61 62 Next >>
siomotteikiru
Zaire
Joined 6111 days ago

102 posts - 242 votes 

Message 177 of 489
26 July 2007 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
to tpiz
I couldn't agree more.
Some posts ARE useless. Some are less so. What about yours?
1 person has voted this message useful

tpiz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
cvillepayne.blogspot
Joined 6114 days ago

77 posts - 79 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, English*, French
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 178 of 489
26 July 2007 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Don't excuse your useless posts by saying that mine are, I am simply defending someone who was insulted for no reason other than to just do it. This is thread is about the listening-reading method, which you started yourself, so go back to discussing it and not how much of a disaster someone's oral skills are unless you are going to help. Back on the method, who has had experience with this method and portuguese?

blindsheep
Triglot
Spain
Joined 6110 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 179 of 489
26 July 2007 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know where I can download an unabridged audiobook of Anna Karenina for free in Russian? My complete lack of russian makes such a search somewhat difficult.

Thanks!

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6778 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 180 of 489
26 July 2007 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
I agree with tpiz that siomotteikiru is to be commended for starting an active and long lasting thread here. She has some interesting things to say about language learning, most of which are not new. On the other hand her dogmatic all or nothing approach to her "listen-read" method and her extremist language has diminished her credibility in my eyes.

I think listening in L2 while reading in L1 has its place, along with listening to L2 while reading L2, listening on its own, reading on its own etc.. Listening in L2 while reading in L1 has the advantage of making it easier to attempt reading that might otherwise be a little difficult. It is, in my view, a good way to get into a language or to get into a book.

I have trouble with Portuguese because it is so similar to Spanish and because I never speak it. I have no trouble reading it. If I could find a Portuguese audio book of a Paulo Coelho novel I would "listen-read", first reading in English and then probably switching over to reading in Portuguese.

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6290 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 181 of 489
26 July 2007 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
siomotteikiru wrote:

Why should I encourage you? Are you a child?

I've never heard before that adults didn't need encouragement. They may have even stronger feelings than children do and thus a direct insult to their ability in language that they are learning can really throw their confidence, and even their motivation, off.

And even if you don't encourage, at least you should avoid giving them harsh remarks that are rude and simply unnecessary. I'm not sure if you're trying to start a fight with anyone on this forum, but sometimes it sure seems like you are.

FSI
United States
Joined 6109 days ago

550 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 182 of 489
26 July 2007 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
tpiz wrote:
Back on the method, who has had experience with this method and portuguese?

I'm currently studying it exclusively via my take on the L-R method. So far, it is going very well.

I've got my audiobook, novel, and translation, and am alternating between reading the novel in English and in Portuguese - listening each time in Portuguese, of course - until I can read the Portuguese with as much ease as I can read the English.

Once I reach this stage, I will begin to read exclusively in the L2, while shadowing the L2 audio aloud orally.

This is the method I used for French and Spanish, and within a short while, I was able to read as easily in French as in English for the Verne novel. With the Dickens novel (in Spanish), it took even less time to reach this stage. With these results, I had no doubts over which method I would use to learn Portuguese.

2 persons have voted this message useful

mezron
Diglot
United States
Joined 6123 days ago

24 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: French

Message 183 of 489
26 July 2007 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
Prior to following this discussion, I was reading War and Peace in Russian, then reading the English translation to fill in any gaps that I missed.

I started over, listening in English (L1) and reading in Russian (L2). Absolutely a much better method than what I was doing previously.   If I had the Russian audio, it would probably be better to do the L-R method described in this thread. But since I have access to a much larger array of English audio books, this is not a bad alternative.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6453 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 184 of 489
26 July 2007 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
... except that you are trying to learn Russian, not English, so you should be listening to Russian to absorb the sounds of that language. Listening to your own native language instead IS a bad alternative.

This discussion contains 489 messages over 62 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version