Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Listening-Reading system

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
489 messages over 62 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 45 ... 61 62 Next >>
asad100101
Diglot
Pakistan
languagel.blogspot.c
Joined 6205 days ago

118 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*, English

Message 353 of 489
26 November 2007 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
nagia. I have a question. If I do not feel like doing anyhting in the language, how can I motivate myself? I need a strong will and ample motivation for listening 10 hours a day. I tried my best but I could not listen for more than four hours a day - my mind could not take it anymore.

Edited by asad100101 on 26 November 2007 at 11:17am

1 person has voted this message useful

kinoko
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6386 days ago

103 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 354 of 489
26 November 2007 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
I am glad you seem to start not liking this thread as much as you used to.
You may come to understand the feeling of those who used to find it of great interest and utility (myself included) and were little by little turned off by an excess of something too alien and weird. I do not support political correctness at all cost, nor do I like what I know you dislike (hypocricy, censorship, and the likes...). But...Just a little of common sense. What's the whole point if you end up being hated or banned? What a waste of your and everybody's time (mine included, as I ended up tonight posting things without any valuable contents to any serious language learner, ME INCLUDED).
I would be more than pleased with having some constructive discussion about something interesting and\or useful, for me, you or any other whou could benefit from it.
In the very specific case I am sure I could be of GREAT help with your Italian and Japanese in terms of tips, ideas, resources and literary\cinema. You could do the same with Japanese (no Polish for me, unfortunately...). But you really have to want it, without riddles and mottos, misteries and weirdness. If you do please let me know, with PM or public posts. We may truely end up having a cup of sake together.
If you avoid getting banned once again in the meanwhile.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6778 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 355 of 489
26 November 2007 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Kinoko,

Credibility is difficult to build up but very quickly lost, and once lost almost impossible to regain. I think that this is something that Sim. may yet learn.

kinoko
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6386 days ago

103 posts - 109 votes 

Message 356 of 489
26 November 2007 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Nagisa, I don't think I will be banned.
If such a recording of Eco's novel exists I'm pretty confident I can find it. I'll let you know as soon as possible.
If you don't mind sending the audio file of Alice in W.to my email I shall be very thankful. If there's anything else you feel I can do for you regarding Italian or Japanese just let me know.

Zhuangzi, I always try to get the best out of everything. That's everything I can do. Of course it depends on the counterpart as well.

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6197 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 357 of 489
26 November 2007 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
I think there have been a lot of misunderstandings on this forum. I believe and am sure that you can learn a language in a week, BUT if you have proper tools - parallel texts of your favourite novels and adequate audio files. AND if you can enjoy the process for the whole time. In case you cannot, you have to find more love inside yourself, or to completely abandon it, and do the things you enjoy.

2 persons have voted this message useful

kinoko
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6386 days ago

103 posts - 109 votes 

Message 359 of 489
26 November 2007 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
Nagisa, I had just PM you to give you the indications for getting the audio books you're looking for. Too late it seems. Already banned.

Well I found it, together with others I'm sure you would love to have. Up to you to get in touch if you want them. I don't want anything in exchange of course, don't feel you have to provide me with anything, so just feel free to keep in touch.

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6778 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 360 of 489
26 November 2007 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
MarcoDiAngelo wrote:
I think there have been a lot of misunderstandings on this forum. I believe and am sure that you can learn a language in a week, BUT if you have proper tools - parallel texts of your favourite novels and adequate audio files. AND if you can enjoy the process for the whole time. In case you cannot, you have to find more love inside yourself, or to completely abandon it, and do the things you enjoy.

It depends on what you mean by "learning a language" . You can learn to say and understand a few phrases in a week. That is about it. The brain takes time to get used to a new language, no matter how hard you go at it.

Soon after starting Russian I was listening quite intensively to a simple story that I know in English. I had the texts of both. I even had interspersed Russian and English texts (which I did not use very much.) I listened 30- 50 times and reread. This went on with a lot of intensity, not for days but for weeks. I still could not speak the language. Now, after 18 months I feel I can say that I am starting to speak the language. And having studied more than 10 languages, I am better at it than most. So I do not believe that the quoted statement here is true, not at all.

This discussion contains 489 messages over 62 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version