Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Listening-Reading system

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
489 messages over 62 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 38 ... 61 62 Next >>
FSI
United States
Joined 6109 days ago

550 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 297 of 489
10 October 2007 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
^ Lots of people have tried it; look through the thread :^)
1 person has voted this message useful

asad100101
Diglot
Pakistan
languagel.blogspot.c
Joined 6205 days ago

118 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*, English

Message 298 of 489
10 October 2007 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
<So, did anyone actually tried "Listening-Reading"? Any experiences? >

The only problem with the above mentioned method is that your mind wanders a lot -- listening while looking at the text is not something that we were used to do in our own native language. It takes some practice, though. I completed "crime and punishment" by applying this method. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, but I had to go back to some sentences for reptitive listening because I did not understand their meaning in the first place. Overall, I'd say this is the best method I have found after a long time especially reading for lengthy books, and they no longer can scare me away. I noticed that it could be excruciatingly annoying to do this if a narrator had a slow speed. It seemed like it would take forever for you to comeplete the chapter. And listening to one person's voice can be boring at times. And if you feel bored, stopt it there and resume it later on when your mind is fully charged up. I'll continue to read-listen most famous novels in English in this way. My next novel is "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelly. You have got to be a fairly advanced student if you want to get something out of it. That's been my experience!

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6197 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 299 of 489
10 October 2007 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
But, I don't think you are following siomotteikiru's instructions - she wrote that EXPOSURE is what really counts, in other words, number of units of new text divided with time. My plan is to download some 5-6 audiobooks of which I have Serbian translation
and to take a whole week doing Listening-Reading 10-12 hours a day.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6189 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 300 of 489
10 October 2007 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
MarcoDiAngelo wrote:
But, I don't think you are following siomotteikiru's instructions - she wrote that EXPOSURE is what really counts, in other words, number of units of new text divided with time. My plan is to download some 5-6 audiobooks of which I have Serbian translation

I hoped to do something similar. My personal experience was largely a failure. I can manage 2-3 hours or so in a listening-reading session; after about 2.5-3.5, my attention starts to wander. Afterwards, I have no desire to listen-read for at least the rest of the day. I've never listen-read for these amounts of time for more than 3 days in a row, to the best of my recollection. I suspect I could have done this in childhood, when I'd routinely concentrate on reading for 10-12 hours or more in a day; however, I'm no longer used to sustained concentration for anywhere near that length of time. I still use listening-reading, at a lower intensity, and find it fruitful, albeit to nowhere near a 'fluency-in-a-week' way (though, to be fair, I haven't tried with anywhere near enough material, over -any- period of time): I pick up a lot of words and structures, and, for up to a half hour or so after I finish, at least with German and Dutch (not with Polish), I find myself thinking in the language, spontaneously, and, as far as I can tell, grammatically correctly.

Hopefully, it will work better for you.

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6197 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 301 of 489
11 October 2007 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Maybe the key is to be ''passionately in love'' with novels.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6425 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 302 of 489
11 October 2007 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
MarcoDiAngelo wrote:

I agree with you. People use variations of the method, but not the method itself. For example, I listen in L2 an read in L1 or listen in L2 and read in L2, but not more than 2 hours.It can be useful, but it is not the siomotteikiru's method.

I would like to know if there are people who tried the listening-reading method strictly, with all the steps, 10-12 hours/day and three or seven days in a row.

asad100101
Diglot
Pakistan
languagel.blogspot.c
Joined 6205 days ago

118 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*, English

Message 303 of 489
11 October 2007 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
At best, if my motivation allows me then I can listen for 5 hours straight but normally it is 2-3 hours a day. Well, I can not follow the method strictly as I have no translations of English audiobooks in my own native language(L1). I am going to measure how long I can listen to in a day just for the sake of following this method.
Also, I don't like doing things just for the sake of going through the motions. I'd like to have fun/enjoyment as well in the process.

BTW, I spent 3 hours a day daily for an audiobook of crime and punishment. It took me 20 days to finish it off by following the above mentioned method.

Edited by asad100101 on 11 October 2007 at 4:18am

kinoko
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6386 days ago

103 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 304 of 489
11 October 2007 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
Am I the only one who finds L1 translation annoying? I can't really get into the language as long as I constantly read the meaning of my target language in a language I already know. My brain naturally sets for the easiest of the two. I find way better to read the chapter beforhand in order to get into the story then drop the translation alltogether. After a while I think the translation is not necessary anymore... My method consists of reading the first couple of chapters in English in order to really catch what's going on, then switch to reading the book normally in my target language without translation, then reading again while listening. That's what works better for me, way better than the original siomotteikiru's method, which I find weird as the usage of translations heavily interfere with both my reading and listening. I also find way easier and more effective to watch movies with subtitles in my target language instead of subtitlees in L1.

This discussion contains 489 messages over 62 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version