Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Listening-Reading system

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
489 messages over 62 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 44 ... 61 62 Next >>
leosmith
United States
Joined 6300 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 345 of 489
26 November 2007 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
nagisa wrote:

I meant achieving relatively high proficiency in about a week.

Have you achieved relatively high proficiency in Japanese in about a week?
1 person has voted this message useful

Vlad
Trilingual Super Polyglot
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6334 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French
Studies: Persian, Taiwanese, Romanian, Portuguese

Message 347 of 489
26 November 2007 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
Leserables, I like this idea :-)

Or maybe he should try Hungarian or Euskara.. He doesn't even have to learn the new alphabet with these.. I would still grant him the extra 8th day though :-))))

Guests
Guest Group
Joined 7126 days ago

0 - 22 votes
Logged on

Message 348 of 489
26 November 2007 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
to leasmith
Yes, I have, as far as litening comprehention goes.
I listened to stories by Akutagawa Ryuunosuke (about 6 hours' length) translated into Russian, some SCOLA audio with an English translation (TV news) and Awake! recordings translated into French. French and Russian are the easiest languages for me.

I must add I knew the stories by Akutagawa, read them many times before I even started to learn Japanese. As to Awake! I used the articles in many languages to test how it would be possible to expand the L-Reading to multilanguage listening-reading.

Initially my goal was to only understand Japanese movies - that's why I started to learn the language, I noticed that many fims were very poorly translated and were difficult to understand, so I wanted to get to the meaning.

I've watched about five hundred Japanese films so far.

Then I abandoned listening and watching films and started reading about Japanese culture in general, mostly in Russian and English.
I've never been interested in any laguage per se, but I found out that with enough input I can understand and very often produce spoken and written texts.
I had not written anything in English for perhaps three to five years before I came to this forum.

As to Japanese, I did not bother about kanji at all, just treating them as a tool for listening comprehention, it is much easier to seperate words in the flow of speech.
Surprisingly enough (to my own amazement) I now can read many texts in Japanese - the ones I have L-Read to are quite easy, others are not so easy and I have to use Wakan time and again to find out how to pronounce, but I avoid reading yet, only when absolutely necessary.

When I've gathered enough material for more advanced stuff in Japanese, I'll try to learn it as well as possible. But I'm mainly interested in classical stuff, not modern Japanese.
And gatharing such stuff proves rather difficult.

Edited by nagisa on 26 November 2007 at 9:53am

Guests
Guest Group
Joined 7126 days ago

0 - 22 votes
Logged on

Message 349 of 489
26 November 2007 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
To leserables and Vlad

I could try Hungarian (as being much more difficult than Greek) on one condition:
You will prepare the necessary matarials for Listening-Reading, the way I did it with Alice in Wonderland posted by me here.

The books I need:

Le petit prince by Sait-Exupéry
Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carrol
The Outsider by Camus
The Trial by Kafka
The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov
Anna Karenina by Lev Tolstoy

All unabridged and recorded by professional actors in Hungarian and with parallel Hungrian-Polish texts in vertical columns. Otherwise it would be unfair.

And would also like to get good pronunciation materials:
phonemes: minimal pairs
intonation practice
+ plus transcripts and a translation

I might add I know nothing about Hungarian and Hungary, but I like the sound of the language and I've sometimes considered checking how effective L-R would be with a non-Indoeuropean language .

When you're ready, give me 7 to 10 days.

Post scriptum
Posting anything on YouTube would be pointless, I could always cheat, asking a Hungarian friend of mine to post her performance.

What about coming to me and record it then?

Edited by nagisa on 26 November 2007 at 10:13am

2 persons have voted this message useful

kinoko
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6386 days ago

103 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 350 of 489
26 November 2007 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
Learning a language to me has a considerable different meaning.
Claiming to know a language when the only thing one understands of it are passages (of whatever lenght) of something one has previously read in one's native language, it does not mean knowing, not even studying to tell the truth, a foreign language.
I guess if one watches her favourite movie one hundred times, then whatches it in Hungarian several other times, then -believes- she understands it, this would mean learning (or worse knowing) Hungarian... I don't think so.

"I'm not interested in modern Japanese"
"I avoid reading"
"I do not bother about kanji at all"
But you claim you know Japanese? I do not even see how you understand what there is behind Japanese (dispite your "interest in the culture")
But you claim your method is the ultimate resource?
But you harshly, comment on other members'skills when they made the effort to post their videos without any hint of constructive criticism?
But the only thing you seem to enjoy is a sort of self celebrating "everybody is talking about me", polluting the forum with childish troll jobs?

Poor those who believe in this nonsense, language learning has multiple facets, that's for sure, but I don't think this has anything to do with what forum members come here for.

Vlad
Trilingual Super Polyglot
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6334 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French
Studies: Persian, Taiwanese, Romanian, Portuguese

Message 351 of 489
26 November 2007 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
Would you like me to sing while you do that too?

You think, I have the time and capacity to prepare a 600 page Hungarian-Polish (!) parallel transcript of Anna Karenina? How fair is that when.. first of all I don't speak Polish..and second of all.. you want to prove something to us.. not the other way around.

Funny how you change the conditions all of a sudden. I thought you said a week, now it's 7 to 10 days.. I think you're just setting up unmeetable circumstances knowing that none of this testing will ever happen.

I have a better idea...what if we just leave your little story about learning a language in 7 days in peace and why don't you in return start respecting people on this forum and enjoy your stay by posting things we all can enjoy?

Edited by Vlad on 26 November 2007 at 10:17am

kinoko
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6386 days ago

103 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 352 of 489
26 November 2007 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
Of course. You want other people to believe you are knowledgeble and smart without stating it. You think it's way more clever. Sure, you're one of a kind in this forum (I know you'll take this as a compliment).

This discussion contains 489 messages over 62 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version