Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Listening-Reading system

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
489 messages over 62 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 46 ... 61 62 Next >>
MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6197 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 361 of 489
26 November 2007 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
If I am right, you listened-read but one story? The point is that you have to do it with 70 hrs of new texts in one go. Have you tried that?
1 person has voted this message useful

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6778 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 362 of 489
26 November 2007 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
No. I was on vacation in Arizona. I listened to a variety of stories, probably 3-4 hours a day for 2 weeks. I listened while jogging,and while reading. And then sometimes I just read alone. And I moved from content to content as I got tired of the first. And this was simple material. I could not have listened to difficult content because for me it is frustrating to listen to things that you do not understand most of it. And I have a higher tolerance for uncertainty and fuzziness in language learning than most.

I can not foresee many people listening for 70 hours in a week. I think the mind would simply shut down and stop absorbing anything. Unless I see evidence that this works, I would not consider doing it.

Intense immersion in the language is a good thing at any stage. A solid weekend of the language at any time, is a good thing. It can be reading, or listening or listening and reading, or talking or whatever. But the brain will get used to the language on its own schedule in my view. It is not a matter of 7 days, not for meaningful fluency.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6220 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 363 of 489
26 November 2007 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
Siomotteikiru, nice try. You forgot the times you actually used foreign languages with the members here, including the very first post in this thread. Anyway there's nothing to excuse your continued disruptive behaviour, and even though you do make a lot of useful contributions those can't outweigh your childishness anymore, so I'm hoping you'll be banned from rejoining soon.

As for the value of the listening-reading method: it's what everyone makes of it. Try out different methods, adapt them to your needs, discard anything you find tedious and if the result works for you, if you learn, you're right. So are others if they find something that works for them. Let's use this forum to share what works for us, without assuming that it will work for even one other person, never mind being the 'best method' or 'only method'.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 26 November 2007 at 2:16pm

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6197 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 

Message 364 of 489
26 November 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Actually, no one here has went through the method completely, not even nearly. But many stated it nonsense. I think that it is, at least, unfair. And uncivil, too.

Edited by MarcoDiAngelo on 26 November 2007 at 2:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6778 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish

Message 365 of 489
26 November 2007 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
MarcoDiAngelo wrote:
Actually, no one here has went through the method completely, not even nearly. But many stated it nonsense. I think that it is, at least, unfair. And uncivil, too.

No it is neither unfair nor uncivil to question a proposed system that seems too rigid, too difficult to follow through on.

If I told you that listening to a language for 10 hours while standing on your head was beneficial to language learning and you said that you did not believe me, I would accept that.

If someone, including you or S., undertakes to spend one week on a new language and then shows us a Youtube monologue of themselves speaking that language I will think again.

Having said that, listening and reading are good things to do, the more the better. And if you enjoy listening to L2 while reading L1, go for it. If you have the ability to spend 7 straight days , 10 hours a day listening to a new language, go for it. It will speed your learning. It will not make you fluent. Since you disagree, please prove me wrong.

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6197 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 

Message 366 of 489
26 November 2007 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Now, you are making caritacure out of it. I think you're rather vain. Why should anyone prove anything to you? Yes, it is uncivil, and you know it. HOW do YOU know that it won't make me fluent?

Edited by MarcoDiAngelo on 26 November 2007 at 2:51pm

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6129 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 367 of 489
26 November 2007 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi,

I am very happy to see that you have returned to the forum. I hope you continue to contribute.

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6778 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 

Message 368 of 489
26 November 2007 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
MarcoDiAngelo wrote:
Now, you are making caritacure out of it. I think you're rather vain. Why should anyone prove anything to you? Yes, it is uncivil, and you know it. HOW do YOU know that it won't make me fluent?

Why get in a discussion if you do not like people disagreeing with you?

If you believe so strongly in the system just do it and report back to the forum with the results, not to me personally, to the forum.

This discussion contains 489 messages over 62 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version