Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Listening-Reading system

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
489 messages over 62 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 ... 61 62 Next >>
frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6693 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 209 of 489
27 July 2007 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
siomotteikiru wrote:
I only say his Russian pronunciation is a disaster because it is. Nothing more, nothing less.
His Chinese might be perfect, but it has nothing to do with his Russian pronunciation which is a disaster. Major Disaster. Very military. General Consternation.

If he followed similar methods with Chinese or any other language and later achieved good pronunciation, it would certainly be relevant information. The end result is what counts - pronunciation at the intermediate stages of learning is only relevant if it ruins the end result.

Edited by frenkeld on 27 July 2007 at 11:46am

1 person has voted this message useful

tpiz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
cvillepayne.blogspot
Joined 6114 days ago

77 posts - 79 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, English*, French
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 210 of 489
27 July 2007 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
siomotteikiru wrote:
to tpiz
You're right. How about another argument?

sure.

FSI
United States
Joined 6109 days ago

550 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 211 of 489
27 July 2007 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
fredomirek wrote:
FSI,

are you learning Portuguese exclusively using the audiobook method? I'm wondering if you had had any previous contact with the language before starting this method?

Yes (exclusive learning through the audiobook method), and no (previous contact with the language). Note that I always listen to music the languages I study, and Portuguese is no exception.

siomotteikiru
Zaire
Joined 6111 days ago

102 posts - 242 votes 

Message 212 of 489
27 July 2007 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
I'm against censorship anywhare any time, be it Poland, US of A or Lunapark.
I've made too many parallel novels not to be aware it's rampant everywhere. But in the US of A it is particularly so.

Alice used to live on the Virgin Islands but she is not a virgin, I know something about it, for sure.

I don't need to live in the US of A (God forbid) to know censorship is RAMPANT there.

I've noticed it's my 69th post here. It is an occasion to celebrate. I think I'm going to have a beer or two. On second thoughts, two is not enough.

After a beer or two (I lost count), I had an idea:
How about closing this thread for good? Nothing seems to be coming out of it.

Edited by siomotteikiru on 27 July 2007 at 12:02pm

tpiz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
cvillepayne.blogspot
Joined 6114 days ago

77 posts - 79 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, English*, French
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 213 of 489
27 July 2007 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Facts are facts, and the fact is the U.S. is not hard on censorship, you can have your opinion but I mean facts are facts. If the U.S.'s censorship is rampant, then I can't imagine other countries.

FSI
United States
Joined 6109 days ago

550 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 214 of 489
27 July 2007 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
With regards to our media, the US is certainly fond of censorship. We aren't squeamish about violence (unless it concerns the daily ongoings in Iraq), but we're quite squeamish about sexuality. One only needs to examine our commercials and programming in comparison to those found beyond our borders as evidence of this. Or that Superbowl fiasco with Janet Jackson.

biki2
Diglot
Groupie
United States
vatoweb.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6772 days ago

57 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Arabic (Written), Catalan, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 215 of 489
27 July 2007 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
siomotteikiru wrote:
I'm against censorship anywhare any time, be it Poland, US of A or Lunapark.
I've made too many parallel novels not to be aware it's rampant everywhere. But in the US of A it is particularly so.

Alice used to live on the Virgin Islands but she is not a virgin, I know something about it, for sure.

I don't need to live in the US of A (God forbid) to know censorship is RAMPANT there.

I respectfully disagree. Based on my experience in publishing in the US (as a writer and a reader), there is certainly bias, both political and commercial. A novel might be changed to make it more marketable, a newscast edited to fit the political bias of the news organization.

But this is very different from outright censorship. There are plenty of outlets for expressing alternative viewpoints or controversial ideals. It may not get much exposure abroad, but we have a very active satirical media (print and TV) devoted to lambasting our government and culture. This would not exist in a society of rampant censorship.

Just as I would not be so foolish as to generalize about the internal politics of Poland, you would be wise not to do so when talking about the US. One of the greatest gifts we have is the choice to keep an open mind about the world. Despite all our faults, I urge to keep an open mind about the US. What you've discovered in compiling parallel novels is just a very small piece of the puzzle.

Edited by biki2 on 27 July 2007 at 12:20pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6136 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 
Speaks: Latin*

Message 216 of 489
27 July 2007 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
biki2 wrote:

But this is very different from outright censorship. ...This would not exist in
a society of rampant censorship.

Don't forget about political correctness which has eaten its way into so many
things to the point of taking away their flavour.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 489 messages over 62 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version