Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Listening-Reading system

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
489 messages over 62 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 59 ... 61 62 Next >>
CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6607 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 465 of 489
07 February 2008 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
I found it!

This is almost more satisfying than learning the language itself.
1 person has voted this message useful

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6778 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 466 of 489
07 February 2008 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
Wow! Thanks to both of you, especially Cait for the audio book. The problem is I cannot read one word of Czech, have no idea how to buy, and do not know if they will ship to Vancouver. I wonder if you could tell me if they accept orders in Canada, and if so what "key words" I should look for to complete the purchase of the audio book.

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6607 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 

Message 467 of 489
07 February 2008 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
I'm not fluent in Czech myself, but from what little I know, maybe that's not the best source.

You might have better luck with Czech Books. They're based in Canada.

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6778 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish

Message 468 of 489
07 February 2008 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Cait you are a marvel!

One thing, our of curiosity. I have purchased and received audio books in Russian from Russia. Quite a number are MP3 CDs and have the e-text included. I mean that is really great. I wonder if that kind of product is available in other languages. I can also give the names of the Russian audio books publishers if that is of interest.

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6778 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 

Message 469 of 489
07 February 2008 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
I have bot the audio book and will look for a paper version of the book so that I can listen in a comfortable chair. The e-book version looks to be in a format that we cannot use at LingQ.

Franzi
The dictionary does not seem to allow click and retrieve functionality.

vanityx3
Diglot
United States
Joined 6211 days ago

331 posts - 326 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 470 of 489
08 February 2008 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
I found what I think is interesting. I don't think what I've quoted is taken out of context either.

ProfArguelles wrote:
it is the bilingual text format with recorded material in target language only that is the best method. Over the years I've found a few such methods from private publishers for various and sundry languages that do this wonderfully as well,...

ProfArguelles was talking about Assimil and why he thought it was so good. But I think that possibly his method of using Assimil was the L-R method or a variation on it. Except that instead of listening to and reading hours of literature, he was listening and reading hours of conversation (questions, answers, many different topics, et cetera.)

Any ideas on this?

I think L-R may just be a cheaper version of ProfArguelles method in a way. Since you can use public domain texts for L-R.

---
Here is the page with what I quoted. It is the 2nd post of ProfArguelles, 1st pargraph about three-fourths of the way down.

Edited by vanityx3 on 08 February 2008 at 8:41pm

atamagaii
Anguilla
Joined 5956 days ago

181 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Apache*

Message 471 of 489
08 February 2008 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
ProfArguelles wrote:
the bilingual text format with recorded material in target language only that is the best method.

It's been used for years in Poland, for instance.

What makes L-R different is:

1. using long novels right from the start in the fully bilingual format, with bilingual texts in vertical columns side by side on ONE page and as e-texts, recorded by professional actors

2. Step 3 (= listening to the target language while reading in a language you understand. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

3. Using self-explanatory texts (= knowing the content beforehand, both the meaning and emotionally)

4. speaking and writing only after the incubation period,that is after getting to the stage of natural listening.

5. the Assault (= massive exposure in a relatively short time)

6. taking into account all the sub-systems: pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary and discourse (= how to produce texts), discourse in textbooks is artificial and often wrong).

7. And that's true, it IS the cheapest way of learning a language, both in terms of money and time. And I might add: the fastest and most enjoyable (for literature lovers). And how many true literature lovers are there? We few, we happy few. Be happy, go lucky.

atamagaii wrote:
Listening-Reading in a teeny weeny nutshell:

LOVE + Listening-Reading (INCUBATION period and then natural listening) + pronunciation = speaking + writing.

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.
Use LONG novels right from the start. If the languages are different the first three hours should be translated word for word. If they are similar, it is not necessary.
There's nothing miraculous about it.

Listening-Reading

Multilingual Listening-Reading

siomotteikiru = atamgaii = Phi-Staszek
男でもあり、女でもある。
I doubt, therefore I might be.

Quote:

When I first heard his name, I said, just as you are going to say, ''But I thought he was a boy.''
''So did I,'' said Christopher Robin.
''Then you can't call him Winnie?"
"I don't."
''But you said—"
''He's Winnie-ther-Pooh. Don't you know what `ther' means?"
"Ah, yes, now I do," I said quickly; and I hope you do too, because it is all the explanation you are going to get.

Edited by atamagaii on 09 February 2008 at 8:32am

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6607 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 

Message 472 of 489
08 February 2008 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
I think that number three is key. If you don't know the story well beforehand, it might be easy to get lost. That's where Assimil might come in handy, because at least then the texts are short, like no more than a couple of minutes.

I've really enjoyed this thread. I've ordered some bilingual texts in Russian (Bulgakov) and some audioknigi. I'm hoping that while I may not know these stories well, that my existing knowledge of Russian helps.

Mainly, I'm just excited to read some good stuff.

This discussion contains 489 messages over 62 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version