Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5777 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 73 of 182
24 November 2008 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
I will be taking part with Japanese and French, perhaps it will help cure my chronic procrastination. Will sort out a log shortly.
1 person has voted this message useful

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5904 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 74 of 182
24 November 2008 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Here is, that is, will be mine: (TAC 09) Leopejo's TAC 2009

I hope someone reminds me of my log when Christmas is approaching!

EDIT: This forum's automatic spelling correction gets to the nerves sometimes!

Edited by Leopejo on 24 November 2008 at 12:40pm

dmg
Diglot
Canada
dgryski.blogspot.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6806 days ago

555 posts - 605 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Dutch, Esperanto

Message 75 of 182
24 November 2008 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
Well, I sort of suckered myself into doing the 2009 TAC with Leopejo on #learnanylanguage.

Briefly, my plan will be to move from B1+ to C1 in French. To prevent me from going totally insane, I'll also learn esperanto.

Once I figure out my attack plan, I'll start my thread and update this post.

EDIT: TAC 2009 FR/EO.

Edited by dmg on 24 November 2008 at 6:23pm

Marj
United States
Joined 6361 days ago

257 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French

Message 76 of 182
24 November 2008 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
I'm in for the challenge. Maybe it will be the incentive I need to keep going.
I will be taking part with French and Mandarin.

French--present knowledge--not much. I took French in High School forty years ago, and remembered very little. I started with Michel Thomas, but didn't finish the beginner's level. I think I had gone through 4 or 5 of the cds before I let life get in my way of learning. Materials I will use: Michel Thomas (from the beginning), Pimsleur, Assimil, My French Coach (Nintendo DS) and probably FSI. I also have some easy readers, and will also utilize some of the many resources available on the internet--podcasts, news shows with transcripts, etc.

Mandarin--I know how to say thank you. So any learning at all will be great. I will be using Michel Thomas, Pimsleur, Power Chinese, Learn Chinese Now, Fsi, and the internet as above. And if someone comes through with items on my Christmas list, Assimil, and My Chinese Coach (for Nintendo DS).

If I get started in a good routine with the above languages, I may add Irish, a language I've wanted to learn for a while. My knowledge now is zero. For learning, I have Pimsleur, Teach Yourself Irish (old edition), and a couple of internet sites.

Edited by Marj on 24 November 2008 at 1:18pm

Aquedita
Triglot
Poland
myspace.com/aqueda_v
Joined 5809 days ago

154 posts - 164 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 77 of 182
24 November 2008 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
I think I'll wait for next year's edition ;)
But I will keep my fingers crossed for the participants, though!

Edited by Aquedita on 24 November 2008 at 2:45pm

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5904 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 78 of 182
24 November 2008 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
Aquedita wrote:

Why so? :-)

dswans
United States
Joined 5684 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 79 of 182
24 November 2008 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Count me in.
My first language will be German, as I am already at an advanced intermediate level (somewhere low B2 on the European scale) and I will be in Germany for the next eight months. I have several language courses for German; will use the shadowing method to improve my pronunciation; and I will read twelve books in German, of which six will be novels, one will be the New Testament, and the remaining five will be nonfiction and either related to the German language or German history. My goal is to have C1 proficiency by the end of June.

As far as other languages go, I might work on actually learning Spanish (I had three years in high school...) For a brand new target language I will choose French or Russian. As I can't commit much time during the first half of the year to languages other than German, I will focus on perfecting my pronunciation for my new target language through the use of shadowing. In July or August I should be able to add serious formal study of the language. I am interested in seeing how little money I can spend to learn a language (though I am not opposed to spending money if I know it will save me considerable time.) Therefore, I will use mainly material available on the web or in the library. My goal by the end of the year is to be able to read texts with (limited) use of a dictionary.

As January approaches I will finalize my decisions and start a new thread to document my journey.

Aquedita
Triglot
Poland
myspace.com/aqueda_v
Joined 5809 days ago

154 posts - 164 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 80 of 182
24 November 2008 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
Leopejo wrote:
Aquedita wrote:

Why so? :-)

Well... could you kindly remind me what's the date today? Oh yeah, November 24th! :P I know, it's my fault I haven't spotted this thread earlier.
But seriously, I feel it would be the best New Years resolution challenge EVER! :)

This discussion contains 182 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version