Joined 5880 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 113 of 182
28 November 2008 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I hope so - and I hope others will make something of the same kind. We spend too much time in that forum hoping that somebody else will ressuscitate the dormant threads. Now at least one thread will be updated regularly.

Indeed? I look forward to it. Thanks for taking the initiative. I know there are many who try to keep the Multilingual Lounge going and those like JW and Alvinho had the right idea to group languages together under one thread. It runs to a degree but quickly loses steam.

I can only help in one language -- leider! That will change after TAC ;)

1 person has voted this message useful

Othar
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6004 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Norwegian, Turkish

Message 114 of 182
28 November 2008 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
it takes forever to write in Greek because I write so rarely in that language on a keyboard that I have to pick the letters one by one from Word's symbol insertion box (I have a Greek keyboard installed, but I forget where the Greek letters are placed).

On most windows versions there is an on-screen keyboard in the Accessibility section of the start menu. You can use it with you mouse or you could use it as reference if you prefer using the keyboard.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 115 of 182
29 November 2008 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
I have discovered that it is OK to make log in other languages (I knew already that some logs were in Nonenglish, but thought that it was illegal). So now I'm going to transfer my 'old' log (from yesterday) to its logical place in the Log forum. The new address is

a new multiconfused log

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6265 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 116 of 182
29 November 2008 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
Iversen, you may like Tavultesoft Keyman to type Greek. There is a keyboard that allows you to type the corresponding Latin letter (e. g. D for Delta, A for Alpha, etc.) and it outputs the Greek letter. So using that keyboard, you just need to learn the position of Psi and the letters that don't have a corresponding Latin letter. I find it very helpful and I can type Greek almost as quickly as English.

dmg
Diglot
Canada
dgryski.blogspot.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6806 days ago

555 posts - 605 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Dutch, Esperanto

Message 117 of 182
30 November 2008 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
You may have noticed some TAC logs have "#lal" in the title. This is to identify the people who hang out in the #learnanylanguage irc channel on irc.freenode.net. Come and say hi!

Edited by dmg on 30 November 2008 at 3:36pm

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6241 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 118 of 182
02 December 2008 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
A question regarding the "rules" of the challenge: is it required that we keep times in our log, or not? Or is it alright if we just update about what we're doing, what we've covered, etc.?

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6645 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 119 of 182
17 December 2008 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Edit:

My goals have changed pretty drastically. I've been debating this for a while, but I'm putting Chinese on hold for a while. Several things helped push me to this side of the fence, but anyway, I'll be focusing on Japanese now. I still intend to learn Chinese to fluency, but I'm going to wait a couple years.

I'm more or less following the AJATT method, and my progress thread will be here.

Edited by OneEye on 02 January 2009 at 2:51am

charlmartell
Super Polyglot
Portugal
Joined 6039 days ago

286 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: French, English, German, Luxembourgish*, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 120 of 182
17 December 2008 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
And I'm in as well.
I'll up my Italian from "basic" fluency to "advanced", should be feasible as I've gone from zero to basic in the 7-month TAC 2008.
I'll try for "advanced" in Russian as well but, while Italian is my 5th Latin related language, Russian was my first incursion into Slave territory. I'm definitely going to listen to Anna Karenina, now that I've found my love for well-read audiobooks using mp3 players.
I'll re-listen to "El Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha", but in the correct order this time. I could never understand what people saw in that book, now I know and love it, enough to want to listen to it all again, with more attention to detail. Not for the story, but for the thoughts and the marvellous language with its oldfashioned charm.
Improving from intermediate to "basic" fluency: Hungarian (I'm not far off), Japanese and Chinese (listening to start with, NOT reading) and possibly Dutch (passive grammar and reading are at basic/advanced level anyway, listening and speaking are not) and Swedish (very, very rusty, but should come back fastish).
And, should I get my hands on some spare time, like a one-week-challenge for something new, modern Greek. I know a fair amount of ancient, so modern should come as light relief, grammar being about 10x easier. I've collected a lot of stuff, just in case. We'll see how it goes.
My whole TAC 2009 looks much more ambitious than it really is as I have a rather solid base to build up on, in all of my projects. And I'm going to concentrate on listening, for meaning, not for word recognition or grammar practice.

This discussion contains 182 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version