grwn
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5645 days ago

79 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*

Message 121 of 182
18 December 2008 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
I like the sound of this challenge, so I think I'll be participating. I just order the books I needed. The languages I'll be studying are Latin, Ancient Greek and Japanese. I'll start a log in a minute, but I'll be using my blog for a weekly/monthly summary post.

Gerwin
1 person has voted this message useful

peppelanguage
Triglot
Groupie
ItalyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5660 days ago

90 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, English
Studies: French, Swedish

Message 122 of 182
20 December 2008 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
Just a question about the rules...how long does it last??Does it last for the whole 2009??From when to when is it?? :)
and second question: do you need at least 2 languages to improve or reach a certain level??

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6243 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 123 of 182
20 December 2008 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
It will last all of 2009. I have edited the first page to provide better guidelines. Two languages was a guideline, having in mind lots of students frequenting the forum. If someone's paying your bills, use your time wisely. We're trying to make it challenging. Annihilate something. Procrastination and bad habits in my case. If you're busy, sigh, and also have to maintain other languages adding even one new language can be quite a feat. Some people are married and have jobs and kids. The first foreign language is always hard. Everyone's individual situation is different. "TAC" basically means you're working hard at accomplishing something concrete by Dec. 2009, regardless of other challenges. You belong to an unofficial "club", share your experiences, offer support, try to get addicted to language learning. If you wish, find a study buddy (not a requirement). There are no real requirements except to learn a language. This is not an organized, official competition but a call to do something concrete for your language learning. The log should not be a chore or especially time consuming. I sort of wish I could ban myself from everywhere else because I waste my time in very various and creative ways - this being one of them lol. The log is important but secondary unless you *really* want to be proclaimed the unofficial "winner" of an unofficial challenge. It's a personal challenge rather than a competition. The real winners are those who actually accomplish something.

Edited by reineke on 20 December 2008 at 3:00pm

MegatronFilm
Triglot
United States
peligrosa.tumblr.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5734 days ago

130 posts - 275 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 124 of 182
20 December 2008 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
I think I'll join. It will be great motivation. I've already started my Spanish Immersion thread in the log section.

I like the idea of a study buddy as well. Anyone else going to study Spanish intensely? Want to be my buddy? :)

reineke
United States
Joined 6243 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 125 of 182
20 December 2008 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
I chose Total Annihilation jokingly, but I also hoped that at the end of each challenge so many people would be doing so well we'd need a "death match" of sorts to proclaim the Ultimate Wiener. Now if that ain't motivating... :)

Edited by reineke on 20 December 2008 at 3:19pm

Adrean
TAC 2010 Winner
France
adrean83.wordpress.c
Joined 5964 days ago

348 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: FrenchC1

Message 126 of 182
20 December 2008 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
I am in.

Been learning french for two years now.

I have used every possible resource available to me at some point or another, but I have never kept a strict study log. I spend at least 1 hour each day doing something french related. This is a good oppurtunity for me to do more focused and longer study.

I plan as my immediate goal within the next month to L-R 20000 leagues under the sea (i've read in English already)

Season 15 of Simpsons in french ( no subs )

5 episodes of South Park (no subs)

Complete lesson 75 onwards of learn in your car french.

Watch 4-5 french films.

I will try and complete a personal log as much as possible

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6699 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 127 of 182
20 December 2008 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to be in, too. Not sure if I succeed to keep the logs, though :( - I wanted to take part in other challenges as well but never managed to describe my learning process here on the forum (although I kept learning languages all this time). So - I'm trying this time, wish me good luck and more spare time :)

reineke
United States
Joined 6243 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 128 of 182
20 December 2008 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Try with quarterly updates.

This discussion contains 182 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version