Tetraglot
New Zealand
Joined 5854 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Maori, English*, French, Latin
Studies: German, Russian

Message 33 of 182
01 May 2008 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
As the next seven months will, for me, involve moving to Russia and beginning a demanding new career in that country, it seems like the perfect time to take up this challenge (albeit a day or two late).

I'm starting Russian from scratch, having spent the last few weeks accumulating materials. I'd like to have passed TORFL 1 by January 1st and, ideally, be in a position to read my favourite short story, Tolstoy's "Master and Man," in the original. I'd also like to be able to enjoy an opera at the Mariinsky Theatre in Petersburg without relying on the English surtitles.

I also plan to continue to improve my French skills. I revived my French during a recent trip to Morocco and was able to get by very well on what I had, but it would be great to able to use it in a more sophisticated context than buying thuya wood camels. My aim is to achieve C1 level (DALF) and to have read ten French novels by January 1st, the former goal being the more ambitious.

Good luck, everyone!
1 person has voted this message useful

Yukamina
Canada
Joined 6059 days ago

281 posts - 332 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean, French

Message 34 of 182
02 May 2008 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
I....I think I will participate in this!
I bet the hardest part will be using my time to study instead of reading on forums and looking for materials.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6473 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 35 of 182
02 May 2008 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Yukamina wrote:
I bet the hardest part will be using my time to study instead of reading on forums and looking for materials.

That sounds terribly familiar ;)

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6515 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds
Studies: German, Esperanto

Message 36 of 182
02 May 2008 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Ah the memories of last year when I spent a month learning Esperanto and then gave up. I was quite happy with my progress and by the end of the month, I was able to translate my log to Esperanto. Probably really awful, broken Esperanto but Esperanto nonetheless.

I won't be able to take part in this one just yet because I have exams starting in two weeks and I really need to concentrate on those instead but when I do get started in June, this is what I anticipate doing:

German - The first language I ever tried to teach myself. Made some decent progress and really love the language but haven't touched it for a while

French - Studied this at school. Recently looked at it for the first time in 4 years and I have forgotten some really basic stuff

Russian - My new language. It has always been one I have wanted to learn but I have always been busy either being lazy or studying other languages.

EDIT: I have decided to start my log now anyway.

Edited by shyopstv on 02 May 2008 at 7:54pm

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6242 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 37 of 182
02 May 2008 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
It's not late to give it a good thought over the weekend and start Monday.

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6111 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 38 of 182
02 May 2008 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
Alright, I'm going to do this, starting Monday. I'll start a log now, and put all the details in there. My procastination habits are abysmal and I really need a swift kick up the pants.

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6242 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 39 of 182
06 May 2008 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
31 challengers so far. We can do better than that. Give yourself a wonderful Christmas present this year. It's the Monday of the first full week into the challenge and the perfect time to make up your mind.

Quinn
United States
Joined 6118 days ago

134 posts - 186 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish

Message 40 of 182
07 May 2008 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
Coincidentally, I started Spanish from scratch (mas o menos) this past week, so I'm in! I'll get my log started...

This discussion contains 182 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version