United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6073 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Malay, Italian

Message 137 of 182
23 December 2008 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
Gon-no-suke wrote:
The languages in question are Korean, Swahili, and Malay. I hope there will be more people here who work on some of these as well! Merry Christmas!

I'm working on Malay too! Good luck.
1 person has voted this message useful

konayuki
Diglot
United States
Joined 5624 days ago

26 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, French

Message 138 of 182
23 December 2008 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
This seems like a really good idea. It would serve as great motivation and, imo, would
make language learning a little more fun (not that it isn't...). I can't wait to see
how this all turns out.

I'm think I'll do it...I would be a great motivator in Korean study, and it'll be
awesome to get Advanced Fluency in Japanese! Just will have to remember to update my
studies....

Good luck to everyone.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6265 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 139 of 182
23 December 2008 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
I decided to participate, and just posted my levels, goals, methods and the like.

Hang in there, Gon-no-suke! I might join you for Swahili, who knows...

wharrgarbl
United States
Joined 5639 days ago

27 posts - 36 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 140 of 182
23 December 2008 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
I think I'll join this thing. My goals:

Esperanto- Become fluent within the first quarter of 2009. I'm a beginner right now, but Esperanto is supposed to be really easy to learn so I don't think I'll have any trouble with that.

Spanish- Get to the point where I can watch movies and listen to music in Spanish, understanding most of the words. I started learning Spanish in school in August of 2007, but my school course moves really slowly, so I'm going to start working on it outside of school as well.

German- Start learning and get to a beginner/intermediate level. I don't speak any German at all, but it shouldn't be incredibly hard to learn for a native English speaker.

This is exciting, I just realized that goals like this really aren't out of reach. I mean, a couple years down the road, I could be fluent in all of those, making me a tetraglot. Wow!

Rekunoto
United States
Joined 5970 days ago

104 posts - 105 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 141 of 182
23 December 2008 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
I am joining too. I did last years challenge, but I started in June.

Japanese- Reach basic fluency by the end of 2009. I have mastered a lot of Japanese
this year, but I could've done better. By this time next year, I hope to be fluent.

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6445 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 142 of 182
27 December 2008 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
I'll join in.

I'm going to be picking Arabic as my language.

I've so far had about 2 months of exposure to it. I can read the script slowly and know probably 800-1000 words of vocab. The grammar is still something foreign to me, but I'm getting it slowly.

Yeah, so there I am.

lerner
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5613 days ago

51 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*
Studies: EnglishC2, GermanC1, Spanish, Dutch

Message 143 of 182
28 December 2008 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
count me in too.

target languages:

german- i've studied the language off and on in the past, hope to change that this time round. at the moment, i should be somewhere between the A2 and B1 levels. i'm aiming for a high-intermediate level (B2) in the language by the middle of the year, and based on my performance during said period, form goals for the remainder of the year.

spanish- once i'm at an high-intemediate level in German (B2 if not better), begin with Spanish.

from the various posts in this forum, i have drawn the conclusion that German is far more difficult than Spanish. so most of my energy and time would be dedicated to learning German.

let's wait and see how things eventually pan-out.

charleswfb
Brazil
Joined 5708 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English
Studies: Japanese

Message 144 of 182
28 December 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
I'm new to this Forum but I have been reading this and talking to some people on IRC and this got me motivated to try some sort of challenge for my language studies.

I'll be participating on TAC 2009, even though I'm joining in quite late.

My languages will be Japanese, English and probably some others.

My goals are in this log

Edited by charleswfb on 28 December 2008 at 11:10am

This discussion contains 182 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version