675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 98 of 182
25 November 2008 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
namida wrote:
Leopejo wrote:
namida wrote:
I won't join because they will ban me soon, boohoo boohoo.

For advertising Michel Thomas?

For advertising The Master and Margarita in Finnish.

Oh did you? Then I can't but thank you!
1 person has voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6242 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 99 of 182
25 November 2008 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Study as much as you can, exchange ideas, inspire others and yourself. Annihilate procrastination, laziness and bad habits. Annihilate ignorance in your target language(s). If you’re a hard worker, work a little harder.

Closing the 2008 challenge early allowed for a clean slate, a New Year’s resolution, a little discussion on how to organize it and make it more worthwhile and fun. Look at it as the first “real” challenge, one in which you will accomplish something great.

Make the challenge work for you. Squeeze in more QUALITY study time just because you’re competing and you “need” to “report” to the “community”. Report when you’re pleased with yourself or you discovered something new about yourself as a language learner – positive or negative. DO NOT beat yourself over the head and waste valuable time doing a nasty chore. Providing monthly or quarterly updates and a detailed year-end annual report seems reasonable to me.

I worked on Russian but I didn’t post on my efforts. I had very little free time and frankly the message board thing got boring. I am moderately satisfied with my efforts but last year’s New Year resolution was not met. Now, if life doesn’t bring new surprises I want to do better than that.

Comment on the quality of the course, language material, what you like or dislike. Comment on any breakthroughs, bumps, pits, plateaus, ask for help, offer help, say hello to others. Hopefully you will not be doing only Pimsleur but trying to read books, comics, watching movies. This will automatically make your log more interesting. Your comments should be useful to yourself and others. You can use your blog so as to avoid writing in too many places.

Get a notebook and write down the hours, provide weekly/monthly update as to the number of hours studied, and then add everything up at the end of the challenge. Alternatively keep an approximate record of the duration of your learning efforts and how much time you spent on different methods and your target languages. Was it time well spent? You don’t have to do this, or anything else for that matter. Participate in the challenge in your spirit. Try to have fun.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5642 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 100 of 182
26 November 2008 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Reinecke, for giving us TAC-newcomers a handout about what is important for a TAC log. I agree with you that a TAC log should not be dry to read for other forum members, but it should be as informative as possible. For me the biggest challenge is not my target language, but the time factor of keeping up a log, but I will do my very best to give a good documentation of my learning activites, learning techniques, learning material and interesting elements of my learning process.

Fasulye-Babylonia

Edited by Fasulye on 26 November 2008 at 7:47pm

JonB
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6060 days ago

209 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Greek

Message 101 of 182
27 November 2008 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
I think this challenge is a really marvellous idea!

I'm really tempted to join in. Maybe this could be just the motivation I need to get stuck into a new language? :-)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 102 of 182
28 November 2008 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
Since Reineke announced the new round of TAC's I have been thinking about the concept. I hope to add a couple of new languages next year with or without a campaign and my study methods would be exactly the same with or without a TAC, so the practical consequences would in my case be minimal - except that I wouldn't start a new language before I could at least read and preferably also think in the preceding one. The annual 'state of affairs' concerning my languages will follow in due time with or without TAC, and I have already written quite a lot about my methods so I doubt that a log over my activities would add anything new. BUT ... there is one thing that I might consider, and that would be to make a log based not on number of words written in wordlists or pages read per day, but on what I have learned from them. The problem is that I don't need to write more English in order to keep that language alive, so I would write it in anything but English - preferably in the target languages. And I'm not quite comfortable with committing such a flagrant and systematic rule breaking action to the log-subforum. Such a thread would be allowed in the multilingual subforum, but that's not the place for personal (b)logs... so I have a classical dilemma which may leave me as paralyzed as the classical donkey between two bales of straw.

Edited by Iversen on 28 November 2008 at 7:41am

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6473 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 103 of 182
28 November 2008 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
Iversen, I think a lot of people would be interested in reading a language log by you or any other of our octaglots, nonaglots, etc. It is one thing to know about the methods of someone, it is another altogether to know how that person actually implements them and see how fast they progress with them.

GoldFibre
Diglot
Kuwait
koreaninkuwait.com
Joined 5774 days ago

467 posts - 472 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean

Message 104 of 182
28 November 2008 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
The problem is that I don't need to write more English in order to keep that language alive, so I would write it in anything but English - preferably in the target languages. And I'm not quite comfortable with committing such a flagrant and systematic rule breaking action to the log-subforum.

I similarly would like to switch my log over to Korean, but then it would break the rules and at the same time wouldn't be of much use to anyone else.

This discussion contains 182 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version