Ireland
Joined 5946 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 105 of 182
28 November 2008 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
Iversen, I think a lot of people would be interested in reading a language log by you or any other of our octaglots, nonaglots, etc. It is one thing to know about the methods of someone, it is another altogether to know how that person actually implements them and see how fast they progress with them.

I'm second this opinion. It would a huge benefit for this community, in whatever language you chose to log.
1 person has voted this message useful

JohnnyR
Groupie
United Kingdom
how-to-learn-any-lan
Joined 5640 days ago

47 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 106 of 182
28 November 2008 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
Iversen, i would also be interested in seeing a log by you so i think im 'thirding' the opinion.

As for your dilema of posting in a new language, you could get around it by posting what youre saying once in English and then underneath that what you are saying in the target language. Then all you're doing is logging your progress in a way which others aren't doing, by displaying what you've learnt.
I hope this suggestion proves remotely useful as I'm sure nobody would have a problem with you doing that as you're breaking no rules because you're simply giving examples of learning and either way i would still like to see your study methods in a log.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5880 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 107 of 182
28 November 2008 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
GoldFibre wrote:
Iversen wrote:
The problem is that I don't need to write more English in order to keep that language alive, so I would write it in anything but English - preferably in the target languages. And I'm not quite comfortable with committing such a flagrant and systematic rule breaking action to the log-subforum.

I similarly would like to switch my log over to Korean, but then it would break the rules and at the same time wouldn't be of much use to anyone else.

Maybe we could amend that rule. I suppose providing a translation would be to much work (??)

I wouldn't be able to write an interesting log completely in my target language but I'd like to practice writing about my day. If I were to provide a translation I could learn through critique.

Edited by Sunja on 28 November 2008 at 11:17am

GoldFibre
Diglot
Kuwait
koreaninkuwait.com
Joined 5774 days ago

467 posts - 472 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean

Message 108 of 182
28 November 2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
I suppose providing a translation would be to much work (??)

Haha! Good point. Now I see I was just making an excuse for myself.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 109 of 182
28 November 2008 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Alea jacta est.

I have put my new Loggy in the multilingual subforum, which of course is the wrong solution. It just took me something like one hour to write the first burp on paper, but no less than three hours to make a few corrections (not nearly enough!) and to transfer the hideous result to the screen, - it takes forever to write in Greek because I write so rarely in that language on a keyboard that I have to pick the letters one by one from Word's symbol insertion box (I have a Greek keyboard installed, but I forget where the Greek letters are placed). Even Icelandic with all those accents is a pain in the lower part of the back. In spite of that I do feel that writing such a monster thing in funny languages is both instructive and entertaining (at least for me), and writing stuff in different languages to be scrutinized by the honoured members of this noble forum will surely serve as a booster for the development of my active skills and an antidote to my secret wish to skip the error correction phase.

EDIT: ... and please don't expect me to translate everything into English. Maybe some other language, but there is already too much English in the multilingual forum.

EDIT: I have moved my log to the log forum at this address

Edited by Iversen on 29 November 2008 at 2:05am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5880 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 110 of 182
28 November 2008 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Maybe this will spawn a whole bunch of multilingual logs and we'll see more language exchange (sans English).

I think it's great! I was just in there and tried as best I could to follow your and Fasulye's comments in Italian. Will you have time to cater to all the responses and keep with your log as well?

Edited by Sunja on 28 November 2008 at 5:41pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 111 of 182
28 November 2008 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
I hope so - and I hope others will make something of the same kind. We spend too much time in that forum hoping that somebody else will ressuscitate the dormant threads. Now at least one thread will be updated regularly.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6241 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 112 of 182
28 November 2008 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
The only problem (if you can call it that) with your log, Iversen, is that less accomplished language learners like me can't gain much from it. I'd love to read about what you're doing, but I've not studied any of the languages you're writing in, and I want to continue my studies with French and Russian before throwing any more onto the heap.

Oh well; perhaps some day. :-)

This discussion contains 182 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version