Joined 5826 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 
Studies: Yiddish, English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 89 of 182
25 November 2008 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
farrioth wrote:
J-Learner wrote:
I am considering participating in this TAC. Not in a competitive way, however.

Nice to see you here. I don't think anyone is seeing this mainly as a competition, really. But if that motivates them, I'm not complaining.

Yeah I agree I have just never been involved in competition. Too much of an outsider for such a thing. I am sure that if I found myself in a group of similarly passionate people I would rise to the challenge.

Good luck to everyone.

Shalom,
Yehoshua.
1 person has voted this message useful

-Kupo-
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5863 days ago

84 posts - 84 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Russian

Message 90 of 182
25 November 2008 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
This looks like the kick of incentive that I need. I will create a log later in preparation once I have figured out a semi-comprehensible plan.

Edit: Log located here

Edited by -Kupo- on 25 November 2008 at 5:24am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5643 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 91 of 182
25 November 2008 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
I am in the learning process of the Turkish language and I have been invited to take part in the TAC 2009.

It's a difficult descision for me to say "yes" or "no", because it is a project for a whole year and it is very time-consuming to keep a learning log for the target language.

What is most efficient for my learning process?

I tend to say that spending my extra time on e-mail contacts with native speakers of Turkish might have a bigger impact than writing a learning log.

But I have still not made my descision.

Edited by Fasulye on 25 November 2008 at 4:53am

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5947 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 92 of 182
25 November 2008 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
As the default winner of TAC 2008, with a log that was as tedious to write, as it was to read, what should people write in their daily, weekly or monthly logs to make them more interesting ? And what should be avoided ?

charlmartell
Super Polyglot
Portugal
Joined 6040 days ago

286 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: French, English, German, Luxembourgish*, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 93 of 182
25 November 2008 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
The 2008 Total Annihilation Challenge is closed.
Charlmartell started very strong but lost steam at a crucial moment.

I never ran out of steam, I just stopped blogging, for several reasons, one of them being the time it took to comment on what I'd done that day. I find recording how much time I spent and how much of that was active and how much passive pretty useless, as it tells me nothing about what I'm actually achieving, doing right or could improve upon. And a detailed account proved rather time-consuming.
I also stopped spending so much time on this forum, again for several reasons.
But I was going to report properly on my progress at the end of the year, which end seems to have come upon us rather suddenly, in November!
So I'll now wind up my 3 logs (Russian, Italian and miscellaneous) with final comments about what I actually did do (as opposed to what I had stated that I would do) and then get ready for TAC 2009. It's going to be similar to, but at the same time totally different from Volte's: a whole bunch of languages, different levels though none of them totally new. I'm afraid this TAC 2008 has made it crystal clear: I stray, not for me the straight and narrow. And I've realised that it really doesn't matter, that it's much more fun that way. Unless one has a compelling reason, like an exam or an imminent journey. I haven't got either at the moment, so I can play. That said, I do have plans and I set goals, but they're flexible, not set in stone. More about that later.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 94 of 182
25 November 2008 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
charlmartell wrote:
reineke wrote:
The 2008 Total Annihilation Challenge is closed.
Charlmartell started very strong but lost steam at a crucial moment.

I never ran out of steam, I just stopped blogging, for several reasons, one of them being the time it took to comment on what I'd done that day. I find recording how much time I spent and how much of that was active and how much passive pretty useless, as it tells me nothing about what I'm actually achieving, doing right or could improve upon. And a detailed account proved rather time-consuming.

Exactly. I logged what I did in a fair amount of detail last week - on paper, for my own use, in a way that probably didn't take 5 minutes a day. A writeup I'd put on the forum (with links, notes about what was interesting, and basically making things less dry than "did 5 minutes of X. Did 9 minutes of Y.") tends to take more like a half hour - fine for if I can't stand the thought of studying more that day, but not so good on a daily basis. Similarly, my personal notes can be much more terse; for the forum, I generally try to provide a little context so I don't waste time writing things that could only possibly make sense to me.

charlmartell wrote:

I also stopped spending so much time on this forum, again for several reasons.
But I was going to report properly on my progress at the end of the year, which end seems to have come upon us rather suddenly, in November!
So I'll now wind up my 3 logs (Russian, Italian and miscellaneous) with final comments about what I actually did do (as opposed to what I had stated that I would do) and then get ready for TAC 2009.
It's going to be similar to, but at the same time totally different from Volte's: a whole bunch of languages, different levels though none of them totally new. I'm afraid this TAC 2008 has made it crystal clear: I stray, not for me the straight and narrow. And I've realised that it really doesn't matter, that it's much more fun that way. Unless one has a compelling reason, like an exam or an imminent journey. I haven't got either at the moment, so I can play. That said, I do have plans and I set goals, but they're flexible, not set in stone. More about that later.

I look forward to reading all of that.

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5905 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 96 of 182
25 November 2008 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
namida wrote:
I won't join because they will ban me soon, boohoo boohoo.

For advertising Michel Thomas?

This discussion contains 182 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version