Germany
Joined 5652 days ago

39 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: German*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 65 of 182
24 November 2008 at 6:03am | IP Logged 
@ExtraLearn
Thanks for clarifying that, I did overlook the part where he said ist lasts one year.. ^^##

As for the second language, I'm not sure yet, because Mandarin will have top priority. But I could brush up my french when I got a Mandarin overdose...
Would it be possible to participate with only one target language? Mandarin will eat up a lot of time, especially when the goal is to be able to use the language.
1 person has voted this message useful

GoldFibre
Diglot
Kuwait
koreaninkuwait.com
Joined 5774 days ago

467 posts - 472 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean

Message 66 of 182
24 November 2008 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
I will officially participate in this one, and will rename and update my current log before the new year begins. It's great to have a full month to nail down goals and collect materials. Best of luck to everyone!

Othar
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6004 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Norwegian, Turkish

Message 67 of 182
24 November 2008 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
I'll join you. Hopefully this will force me to use a bit more system while learning languages. I will start a log as soon as I have decided what my goals should be.

@Sapphire
Define some goals, try your best, have fun and inform us about your progress - more is not needed to participate.

Smurf36
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5644 days ago

57 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 68 of 182
24 November 2008 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
Count me in Please.

Just one question, do language classes count as study? Or is it strictly studying you do on your own?

I'll start a log in a few days outlining goals, once my final Language List has been decided.

=)

bluejay390
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6073 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Malay, Italian

Message 69 of 182
24 November 2008 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
Yeah, 2008 was not a good study year for me. I'm in for TAC 2009. This time will be different. I'll start a new log(s) in a few days. I will be participating with Spanish and Malay but should I choose another language as well? It looks like a might have enough time to take on a third language if I have the self discipline.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6473 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 70 of 182
24 November 2008 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
I definitely failed my Icelandic TAC but I blame summer for that one :P I'm in for the new one! It will include further, major development of my Russian, getting my Norwegian writing skills back on track and starting Hungarian!

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5904 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 71 of 182
24 November 2008 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
I failed miserably last year - mostly real life and special reasons made me stop language learning altogether. But if I started again, much of the merit goes to this very place and to the friends I have made here.

Therefore: TAC 2009, here I come!

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6242 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 72 of 182
24 November 2008 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
It’s TAC, therefore the official goal to try to do at least two languages. TAC is about going the extra mile. You can try and do four. You should be able to achieve something concrete. It should be something you will be proud of in 2009. You can do one language and win if you do a great job and others prove total wieners. Languages like Mandarin, Japanese etc. deserve special consideration. Progress will be weighed using common sense. Even if you officially don’t “win” but accomplish something and break a vicious circle YOU ARE A TRUE WINNER.

If a man should conquer in battle a thousand and a thousand more, and another man should conquer himself, his would be the greater victory.

This year’s TAC was supposed to last until January 1st. It was cut short because everyone lost steam. I dozed off several times reading the winner’s log but he dutifully punched the clock. The contestant won by default, 50% in life is about showing up. This is especially true about language learning.

The official end date of the 2008 TAC is Dec 31. The winner will hopefully not be clear until the very last minute and everyone will do such a great job we’ll have to debate who deserves the title. This year, uh, that wasn’t a problem. Last year people complained about the short notice. Now there’s over a month to decide/prepare.

Others complained about not being able to start at a certain date. You could have joined last summer and won had you used a little more elbow grease and shared your progress with others. Sunja, I’m looking at you, kid.

About the exact start date. You should start gathering materials/warming up right now.
Don’t fret. If you’re anxious about starting a new language or you are currently studying another one, don’t stop. Language classes count if you fully take advantage of them, make an effort and actually add to it and turn these lessons into something productive. Most people taking a class in 2009 will sleep through the whole process. Do better than Comte Frou Frou. When all the annihilators get parachuted into the challenge, you should hit the ground running and shift to a much higher gear. That will qualify you for the challenge; you only need to track your progress. Whether or not you kick into higher gear and join the challenge at around Christmas or on January 1st is sort of irrelevant.

Use only one (b)log to track your progress. This forum allows you to link to your blog. You can use that feature. Hopefully that will take out some sting out of the whole reporting process. Track your progress on your blog, tag each language separately if you wish to make some order, have fun. Do remember to name your learning log on this forum TAC 09. For easier reference please start the title with TAC 09 and then call it whatever you please. You can edit the title of an existing log. If you’re not going to post here regularly simply write a sentence occasionally so people can see you’re participating. People who don’t have a log/don’t wish to post here but would like to participate and track their progress can simply say hello in this thread. This will also prevent having too many empty logs. In any case be sure to post/bump your learning log to the top of the queue in December 09.

This discussion contains 182 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version