915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 9 of 182
28 April 2008 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
Im in too - sounds good.

So, i havent done much studying in Mandarin Chinese yet (only 1 lesson of TYS, so far, and a lesson of FSI) - So, yeh i'll give it a try.

My goal for this challenge:

By January 2009 I can speak with my Mandarin teacher at school and participate in the Mandarin forum here.

Bring it on.

So, May 1st eh?
And i have to start a language log.
Okay then.

Bring on rest of 2008

(BTW, i have only learnt one language (+ native), so I dont have as much experience)

TEL
1 person has voted this message useful

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5944 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 10 of 182
28 April 2008 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
I'm in too.

Goals by 1st Jan 2009
-Be able to debate and write an essay about science, religion or history in Mandarin. (I can understand radio and read quite well, but my active use is very shakey)
-Be able to do the above in Japanese as well.
-Be able to read a Japanese novel without a dictionary. (at all)
-Read the Iliad in Homeric Greek with occasional reference to a parallel text or dictionary.
-Read De Rerum Natura and Descartes in Latin with only occasional reference to a dictionary. (once or twice at most per page)

Edited by amphises on 28 April 2008 at 12:22pm

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5876 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 182
28 April 2008 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Now THATS a goal and a half.

TEL

Flagg
United States
Joined 5850 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 182
28 April 2008 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
I've been thinking about picking up Russian for quite some time, and this challenge has given me that final bit of motivation. Thanks for the inspiration! I figure I will start today, seeing as waiting until the first might aid in another decision to put it off. This gives me about a month to study before school lets out, and then two months of nothing but Russian. Perfect timing.

Good luck to everybody who decides to give it a go.

Edit: I have also decided to learn German as well, but seeing as I've just started Russian, that probably wouldn't be very wise. German won't come into play until at least September, if not next year once I am done with the challenge.

I have made a log, and will update frequently, if anyone wants to read it or contribute their ideas and such.

Edited by Flagg on 28 April 2008 at 4:29pm

pitwo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5955 days ago

103 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 13 of 182
28 April 2008 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm in.

My main focus will be German.
So far I've only completed 8 Assimil lessons (Le nouvel Allemand sans peine) and can't really read anything yet.

I may tackle some Russian on the side too for fun, but won't start now.

Forgot: I'm starting today. That is, April 28 2008

Edited by pitwo on 28 April 2008 at 5:58pm

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6214 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 14 of 182
28 April 2008 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
ill be back in, ill start a new log in a minute, i might keep a running total of all my learning hours, seeing as it'll be a may start i think ill set a target of 250hours for 1st of january, and intermediate conversational Spanish, and ill have to sign up to skype. my learning stopped when my log stopped last time, but i seem to be picking it back up ok, especially after a 7month layoff. i think i can give a more concerted effort this time, i have a plan.

jeigo again
Groupie
United States
Joined 5929 days ago

43 posts - 41 votes
Studies: Indonesian, Irish

Message 15 of 182
28 April 2008 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Yes, this is going to be fun;) I'll really try to get my rear in gear in regards to Indonesian, and perhaps take up Spanish. I can't wait to get started!

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6243 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 16 of 182
28 April 2008 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
sheetz wrote:
I was just thinking about doing another one of these! Last year I started Japanese from scratch and crammed in a boatload of study hours in a few short months. It was the perfect jump start to the language, and I'd like to try another one with Japanese to take me to the "next level." Great idea, reineke!

Sheetz's log is a great example of how to do it right. The first page also contains some great resources for other students of Japanese. We started at exactly the same time, in May of last year. He is now reading his first book in Japanese. I am not.

This discussion contains 182 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version