Joined 6815 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 81 of 151
05 July 2009 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
Wow ! That's harsh !
You could be happy , instead of annoyed when north americans speak Spanish, be it some other Spanish.
As you probably know (Warning, understatement here, joke implied too) there are as many Spanish variants as there are Spanish speaking countroes and I suppose there are variants in the countries themselves.

Now I guess if one wants to annoy an Argentinian for real one has to speak portuguese (Brasilian variant) to him , nao é ?

What I find annoying with foreigners is when they don't even try and say one courtesy word in the local language and abruptly talk English to the local fruit seller who HAS to speak English.
Of course everyone knows English is our real Esperanto.
But when I travel to some place the language of which I can't speak , I at least learn to say Hello, please excuse me thank you.

And there are
Carisma wrote:
I find it REALLY ANNOYING when north Americans say "No problemo" or "No comprende".
"No problemo" is truly "No hay problema", and "No comprende" is "No comprendo", but here
in Argentina we rarely use the verb "comprender", we use "entender" instead. So, the
phrase would be "No entiendo".
And I also hate it when north Americans stick too much with the Mexican Spanish - if in
Argentina you said the word "plátano", people would laugh at you. We never ever say
"plátano", we say "banana" (but pronouncing the As the Spanish way). We never use words
as "chavales" (we use "chicos") o "piña" [the fruit], we say "ananá".
And once I read the word "Quattro" when it is "Cuatro"!!

1 person has voted this message useful

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6815 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 82 of 151
05 July 2009 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
Maybe that depends of the "platano" you're talking about in addition to the country. I understand platanos are bananas in Spain. Not that they grow them of course....
Maybe I should check.
I did notice they also undersatnd banana in Spain, probably because many tourists ask for bananas, and Spanyards also happen to know stuff oops to know things...
And what do Tchermans know about bananas in the first place (kidding here, please don't call me an irrascible Frenchie as last time) ?

babelpoint wrote:

The issue is that a "plátano" is not a "banana". You can not pale a plátano and just eat it. A plátano must be cooked. Germans call a plátano "Kochbanane" that means cooked banana.

guilon
Pentaglot
Spain
Joined 6007 days ago

226 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, PortugueseC2, FrenchC2, Italian, English

Message 83 of 151
05 July 2009 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
zorglub wrote:
I understand platanos are bananas in Spain. Not that they grow them of course....
Maybe I should check.

We actually eat "plátanos" cultivated in Spain exclusively, the Canary islands provide enough of them for the whole
country.

kerateo
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 5461 days ago

112 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 84 of 151
06 July 2009 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
guilon wrote:
kerateo wrote:
Well, personally i hate when people say in Spanish "haiga" o "cabido" but... you know what?, with
mistakes, loanwords, rapid speech, EVERITHING you have been talking about is how languages where created, if it
wasnt for those "mistakes" there would be no french, Spanish, Italian etc, just latin. Languages have to flow and
rules.. rules are made to be broken.

I agree, languages evolve, and most often than not from the bottom to the top, but what is wrong with "cabido"?

With "cabido" nothing really i dont know why natives make so many mistakes with that verb instead of "haya cabido" "haya cupido" instead of "el cupo" "el cabio" and my favorite instead of "yo quepo" "yo cabo", but hey, its evotution baby!!, also for the ones who are learning Spanish i know the aforementioned verb is harb but there is other popular mistake made by natives who is easy to remember its not "imprimido" its IMPRESO".

babelpoint
United Kingdom
babelpoint.org
Joined 5439 days ago

26 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: Russian

Message 85 of 151
06 July 2009 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
kerateo wrote:
guilon wrote:
kerateo wrote:
Well, personally i hate when people say in Spanish "haiga" o "cabido" but... you know what?, with
mistakes, loanwords, rapid speech, EVERITHING you have been talking about is how languages where created, if it
wasnt for those "mistakes" there would be no french, Spanish, Italian etc, just latin. Languages have to flow and

I agree, languages evolve, and most often than not from the bottom to the top, but what is wrong with "cabido"?

With "cabido" nothing really i dont know why natives make so many mistakes with that verb instead of "haya cabido" "haya cupido" instead of "el cupo" "el cabio" and my favorite instead of "yo quepo" "yo cabo", but hey, its evotution baby!!, also for the ones who are learning Spanish i know the aforementioned verb is harb but there is other popular mistake made by natives who is easy to remember its not "imprimido" its IMPRESO".

In reality some verbs have two forms. This is what the book "Gramática didáctica del español" writes:

Ciertos verbos presentan dos participio: uno regular y otro irregular. Ejemplos:

atender -> atendido y atento
despertar -> despertado y despierto
freír -> freído y frito
imprimir -> imprimido y impreso
proveer -> proveído y provisto
prender -> prendido y preso
torcer -> torcido y tuerto
etc.

ATENCIÓN:
En los verbos que tienen los dos tipos de participio, la forma irregular actúa solo como adjetivo y nunca como verbo, salvo en los casos de freír, proveer e imprimir

he freído - he frito
han proveído - han provisto
han imprimido - han impreso

To be honest with you, I thought that these were errors, at least the last 3 cases.

BTW, I recommend you this book. It is the best I could find in Madrid when I was there last year. I did not want to buy a grammar book online, because I wanted to compare them.

kerateo
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 5461 days ago

112 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 86 of 151
06 July 2009 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
babelpoint wrote:
kerateo wrote:
guilon wrote:
kerateo wrote:

In reality some verbs have two forms. This is what the book "Gramática didáctica del español" writes:

Ciertos verbos presentan dos participio: uno regular y otro irregular. Ejemplos:

atender -> atendido y atento
despertar -> despertado y despierto
freír -> freído y frito
imprimir -> imprimido y impreso
proveer -> proveído y provisto
prender -> prendido y preso
torcer -> torcido y tuerto
etc.

ATENCIÓN:
En los verbos que tienen los dos tipos de participio, la forma irregular actúa solo como adjetivo y nunca como verbo, salvo en los casos de freír, proveer e imprimir

he freído - he frito
han proveído - han provisto
han imprimido - han impreso

To be honest with you, I thought that these were errors, at least the last 3 cases.

BTW, I recommend you this book. It is the best I could find in Madrid when I was there last year. I did not want to buy a grammar book online, because I wanted to compare them.

Wow, i guess you learn something new about your own language everyday, however, even if it is in a book i still consider some of those mistakes, i live in Mexico perhaps what here is a mistake it is not in spain, for example:

"Preso" only means "in jail", if you say "el esta preso" the only translation is "he is in jail". "tuerto" only means one-eyed "el esta tuerto" is "he is one-eyed". and in Mexico only low educated people says "imprimido". I guess some of those were correct two hundred years ago. Interesting, what used to be correct now is a mistake...

Carisma
Diglot
Argentina
Joined 5437 days ago

104 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 87 of 151
07 July 2009 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
zorglub wrote:
Wow ! That's harsh !
You could be happy , instead of annoyed when north americans speak Spanish, be it some
other Spanish.
As you probably know (Warning, understatement here, joke implied too) there are as
many Spanish variants as there are Spanish speaking countroes and I suppose there are
variants in the countries themselves.

Now I guess if one wants to annoy an Argentinian for real one has to speak portuguese
(Brasilian variant) to him , nao é ?

What I find annoying with foreigners is when they don't even try and say one courtesy
word in the local language and abruptly talk English to the local fruit seller who HAS
to speak English.
Of course everyone knows English is our real Esperanto.
But when I travel to some place the language of which I can't speak , I at least learn
to say Hello, please excuse me thank you.

And there are
Carisma wrote:
I find it REALLY ANNOYING when north Americans say "No
problemo" or "No comprende".
"No problemo" is truly "No hay problema", and "No comprende" is "No comprendo", but
here
in Argentina we rarely use the verb "comprender", we use "entender" instead. So, the
phrase would be "No entiendo".
And I also hate it when north Americans stick too much with the Mexican Spanish - if in
Argentina you said the word "plátano", people would laugh at you. We never ever say
"plátano", we say "banana" (but pronouncing the As the Spanish way). We never use words
as "chavales" (we use "chicos") o "piña" [the fruit], we say "ananá".
And once I read the word "Quattro" when it is "Cuatro"!!

Haha. Yeah, one thing I like about foreign Spanish speakers is that they are ALWAYS
more polite that any Argentinian. If you really do want to bother any person from
Argentina, you'd have to speak Spanish with an accent from Chile. Every person that I
have asked can't stand that accent, me included. Portuguese is considered kind of chic
here, because it is common to go to Brazil beaches in the summer and teenagers find
brazilian people attractive ;) Haha.

mick33
United States
Joined 5739 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 88 of 151
10 July 2009 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Two things come to mind: Saying "You did good" rather than "You did well"; Also saying "We was" which should be "We were". These two mistakes are very common in North America.

Edited by mick33 on 10 July 2009 at 1:22am

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version