Diglot
United States
Joined 5333 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 137 of 151
14 May 2010 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
I use I have and I've got interchangeably, and I'm American. Also, "Sam and me" as the topic of a sentence sounds about as grating as reading "would of" is.
1 person has voted this message useful

boon
Diglot
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 5969 days ago

91 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Mandarin, Latin

Message 138 of 151
18 May 2010 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
The words "tortuous" and "torturous" are pretty much never used correctly. Usually the mistake is using "tortuous", which means twisting, to mean "torturous", which means causing pain or suffering.

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6282 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 139 of 151
18 May 2010 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Really? My impression that "torturous" was usually used to mean "tortuous", not the other way around.

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5665 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 140 of 151
18 May 2010 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
Annoying mistakes for a native Mandrian speaker:

Mixing up homophones and end up writing the wrong character in writing.

Mixing up homographs and end up pronouncing the character wrongly during a conversation (that is quite embarrassing sometimes)

Edited by QiuJP on 18 May 2010 at 12:40pm

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5207 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 141 of 151
18 May 2010 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
I consistently say "work on me with" instead of "work with me on." I also find many people who say "offen" instead of "often."

anamsc
Triglot
Andorra
Joined 6013 days ago

296 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Written), French

Message 142 of 151
18 May 2010 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
JPike1028 wrote:
I also find many people who say "offen" instead of "often."

Actually, (and I'm being pedantic only because that's the theme of the thread!) "offen" is technically correct; "often" is a spelling pronunciation. The "t" was originally silent, but people read the word and see that there is another letter and think they should pronounce it. Compare:
     soft-->soften (/soffen/)
     oft-->often (/offen/)

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5240 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 143 of 151
18 May 2010 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
I love this thread because it is fascinating to see how many "mistakes" are not actually always mistakes. They are signs that usage is changing. I used to be peeved off by something in French like "la manière que je parle" instead of "la manière dont je parle" or in Engliish in "government planning and policy is in agreement" instead of "...are in agreement".

Now I've come to the conclusion that language is changing and that if enough respectable users (i.e. authors, journalists, politicians) use a certain form, then it can't be totally bad. For the longest time I used to make a point of saying: "It is I" instead of "It's me". Now it seems a bit stuffy. When I first heard "they grew the business", I was a bit surprised to hear "grow" in that usage. Or when people ask "How are you" and I hear: "I'm good".

Certain mistakes are clear-cut (for example, spelling mistakes) that will remain objectionable for a very long time. "We is" instead of "We are" will be a mistake for the foreseeable future although it is widespread in certain dialects of English. At the same time, there is a gray zone of shifting usage.

Part of the problem is that young people (and others) often take liberties with language that go against school teachings. With time, these liberties become widespread and soon the old ways can seem out-of-date and quaint. That's fine if you don't mind being quaint, but, if you want to communicate with a younger audience, you want to use their language.

For example, I see Internet abbreviations creeping into the advertising language of my bank. Banks are notably conservative institutions; nevertheless, they are targeting a certain audience with a message like "student loans designed 4 u". Times are achanging.
2 persons have voted this message useful

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5207 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 144 of 151
18 May 2010 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
My favorite in English is "Where it goes?"

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version