Joined 6708 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 49 of 151
02 July 2009 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Hencke I have a lot of respect for Finlands treatment of the Swedish language (arguably better than our own...) But "bättre än han" is inexcusable for native Swedish speakers regardless where they come from. I have prejudice against people who speak this way at least if they are native speakers. It sounds awful!

I suppose you mean "bättre än honom", but that is another debate (and regrettably something of a lost cause I gather).

The use of "han" discussed above is a totally different issue.

Edited by Hencke on 02 July 2009 at 11:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6708 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 50 of 151
02 July 2009 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Sprachbund wrote:
The argument that the "han" form is authentic because it is older is partially valid. ... , why do those who usually say "jag såg han" also say things like "jag gav det till han", with a 3d person indirect object?

Yes, good points, and I wasn't trying to defend it as totally correct or wanting to have it reinstated or anything.

I just pointed at a historical connection that provides a certain measure of justification. Of course this justification might not pass muster if analysed in too much detail, so we better not :o).

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5652 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 51 of 151
02 July 2009 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
Hm, yeah Hencke I might have got mixed up. 35 degrees and no aircon... Here is another example:

Jag skall gå och träffa han.

Calvino
Diglot
Groupie
Sweden
sammafllod.wordpress
Joined 5780 days ago

65 posts - 66 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, German

Message 52 of 151
03 July 2009 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
Quote:
why do those who usually say "jag såg han" also say things like "jag gav det till han", with a 3d person indirect object?

Historically, the preposition "till" has governed the genitive. Thus, we have fossilized expressions like "till skogs", "till havs", "till äventyrs".

But I see your point, of course. I do say things like "Jag gav han det", where, historically, the indirect object would be in the dative. Then again, I do not justify my use of "han" with reference to the historical distinction between the accusative and the dative. That distinction does not exist in modern Swedish, and so I find the whole point moot.

Quote:
Our neighbours up in the north at our summer house have a tendency to say "han gav det till jag" [he gave it to I] though, but that's in hardcore inland dialect, and I'll accept it because it's so wrong it just makes me smile.

And there we have it again, that unthinking confounding of dialectal variations with errors. It's nothing but regionalist snobbism in the guise of language care. A true lover of one's native tongue, I claim, will seek to preserve and care for regional variations, not fight them with the weapons of standardization and elitism. To love one's language, I most strongly believe, is to love it as a totality, on the syn- as well as diachronic dimensions. To love the mother tongue is to love all its childrens, even the ugly ducklings.

Edited by Calvino on 03 July 2009 at 6:22am

KanadierThom
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5790 days ago

15 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Icelandic

Message 53 of 151
03 July 2009 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
Calvino wrote:
[quote]...

I grind my teeth when people substitute the conjunction och ("and") for the
infinitive marker att, like in:

Jag gillar och läsa ("I like and read")

Which should really be:

Jag gillar att läsa ("I like to read")

People do that in Swedish too? Wow, I really thought that sort of construction was just
sloppy English. It seems really weird to see the same thing in another language. Well,
if it's not exactly the same it's at least similar to some things I hear in my own
language.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6492 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 54 of 151
03 July 2009 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
Calvino wrote:

And there we have it again, that unthinking confounding of dialectal variations with errors. It's nothing but regionalist snobbism in the guise of language care. A true lover of one's native tongue, I claim, will seek to preserve and care for regional variations, not fight them with the weapons of standardization and elitism. To love one's language, I most strongly believe, is to love it as a totality, on the syn- as well as diachronic dimensions. To love the mother tongue is to love all its childrens, even the ugly ducklings.

Eh, you missed the part about "hardcore dialect" or what?

And you can justify anything with dialect really. Just say "but it's my personal dialect!" whenever anyone corrects you.

And for the record, I don't think I love Swedish to begin with... :) After living in Norway for two years, Swedish *does* sound gay.

Calvino
Diglot
Groupie
Sweden
sammafllod.wordpress
Joined 5780 days ago

65 posts - 66 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, German

Message 55 of 151
03 July 2009 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Eh, you missed the part about "hardcore dialect" or what?

Well, even worse! That means you simply identify "dialectal" and "erroneous", which is even more snobbish.

Quote:
And you can justify anything with dialect really. Just say "but it's my personal dialect!" whenever anyone corrects you.

Eh... no? You can't have a "personal dialect". A dialect is an established local or regional variety of a language. It needs a community of speakers, just like all language.

Quote:
And for the record, I don't think I love Swedish to begin with... :)

Well, if that's the case, I don't see why you care about (so-called) errors at all.

Edited by Calvino on 03 July 2009 at 9:08am

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6492 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 56 of 151
03 July 2009 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
Calvino wrote:

Well, even worse! That means you simply identify "dialectal" and "erroneous", which is even more snobbish.

Hmm... no? You do like jumping to conclusions, don't you? Oh well. I'll blame it on the Swedish school system!

Calvino wrote:

Eh... no? You can't have a "personal dialect". A dialect is an established local or regional variety of a language. It needs a community of speakers, just like all language.

What if my followers and I (or my harem and I, that'd be more fun) constitute a community?

Calvino wrote:
Well, if that's the case, I don't see why care about (so-called) errors at all.

Oh, you have to LOVE the language in order to care at all? I wasn't aware of that at all, and in that case, I guess that means I should... quit all of my languages? Or just give up the idea of correctness?

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version